Thread: Best Small Game Arrowhead?

Default Best Small Game Arrowhead?

Does anyone recommend a small game arrowhead? Looking for grouse or hares.

i think they are called judo tips

I like the G5 small game heads. Killer on spruce chickens without leavin a hole. Knocked 'em out cold
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Info mining old threads...

In past threads, judo points (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0027605.shtml) popular, prob edging out blunts.
    Other companies make similar heads designed to keep arrows from getting lost.
    The G5 small game heads are new I think - and seem like they'd work well at keeping arrows from wandering off, burrowing under stuff.

In this thread, TradBow favors "steel blunts" for small game, esp hares. I'm not familiar with those - maybe TradBow will chime in:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...mall-game-head

Good info in this thread. I haven't seen flu-flu fletching in the few shops where I've looked, but like the idea of a short range arrow:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ouse-ptarmigan

More:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tarmigan-setup

Cast & Blast started this thread - with some good comments about losing arrows:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Archery-grouse

Cleaning & cooking: Wasn't part of your question, but many posts by experienced members:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ouse-ptarmigan

Good luck!

I use rubber slide-on blunts. Rubber works the best when there's nothing but rocks. They save your arrows, don't pass-thru or snake under and they knock the pudd'n out of small game. I get mine from Three Rivers.

Like some have said, depends on the terrain. I favor the G5 small game heads for the tundra (Haul Road) because they are deadly and don't tunnel into the ground as badly, so I don't lose arrows. I would go for rubber blunts if it's rocky. If just in the brush/woods, the judos hang up so you don't lose them. G5 would work well here, too. Big drawback for the G5 is they are expensive.

Bolt and a washer for most, cheap and easy to use, large strike surface and NO ground tunneling. For water fowl I like a cheapo broadhead, what ever is on sale. I have a freind who only uses broadheads for all hunting, kills bunnies fast and dose half the field dressing for him. Judo's work. Thing is opions and experiance very widely on this, do some experimenting and you'll find what works for you. However flu flu arrows are fairly universally accepted as a must.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I agree with rick, I use a washer thats hole just clears my field tip threads and I screw it on behind my field tip. The ones I use add 40 grains, but makes no difference in my aim at 20 yards or less. Takes grouse heads right off and knock bunnies dead. It keeps the arrow from burrying itself, and is very cheap.

I've used store bought tips, but why waist the money when you have all you need in a jar in the garage.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I have been buying Judo tips they work realy good been buying them off of Ebay
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I love the washer idea. I never thought of it thanks I am going to pick some up today.

Good to hear what works, new and old, from more experienced members.
    I'm psyched about trying a few of these (judos and Montecs) on ptarmigan on our caribou hunt.

Rising Creek: Good luck this Fall.

If you want to get serious with washers then cut small slots around the outside edge of the washer with a Dremel and twist each pie shaped section with needle nose pliers. They become flying meat grinders. A couple inches of 3/8" copper tubing over the end of the shaft with a screw holding the washer on weighs about 125-160 grains.

DSCF1274.jpgMeat Grinders

Boud'arc those look sweet and definately cost effective will give them a shot and make a few for my upcomming moose hunt

Great ideas! Thanks for posting the pics. I am grabbing the dremel right now =)

actually my head of choice isnt a steel blunt...it's a rubber blunt with a steel blunt under it. On wood shafts a 357 case with the ejector ring filed down so you dont blow the rubber blunt off. Or a super light steel blunt with the rubber blunt slide over it if you're a screw in tip kinda person.

We call it the wreckin ball. A straight up rubber blunt doesnt work a bit like this does. The big thing is it hits grouse hard and keep's them down without mangling them. A standard blunt on a hares head works like a champ.

I dont like judo's for grouse, atleast with trad equipment you WILL mark my words, loose birds! And broadheads you'll loose too the soft ground. Nothing is perfect...this is the best we've come up with yet (no I didnt think of it, one of my buddies did).

I also don't like judo points. I lost a few rabbits and arrows last year because the judo just passes right through them.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!