Thread: survival kits??

Default survival kits??

hey I was thinking, whats everybody got in your survival kits? I love asking this question, cause I learn something EVERY time!
    my GOT to have items are Water, wool blankets, Flares (double as fire starter) and cotton balls soaked/ caked in vasaline (GREAT fire starter or helper) I would like to find a yellow or orange tarp. Any one know where i could find one of these?

lets here what you've got! and does it change with the saesons? winter vs summer?
    tim

My survival kit is the same summer and winter and stays in the plane at all times! -40 sleeping bag, heavy duty space blankets (2) (like a tarp) that can serve as a rain fly. Fleece top and bottom, wool socks, stocking cap, bug dope, head net, flares, hatchet, Wyoming saw, roll of 550 cord, water purifying bottle, fire starter, first aide kit, glow sticks, few mountain house meals, box of granola bars, half dozen or so candy bars, good hunting knife, leatherman, full tool kit that will allow me to tear down just about everything on the plane if need be. Fishing pole and assorted tackle and the 10-22 with a couple hundred rounds.

Everything is in a dry bag with the clothing items vacuum sealed also.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    My survival kit is the same summer and winter and stays in the plane at all times! -40 sleeping bag, heavy duty space blankets (2) (like a tarp) that can serve as a rain fly. Fleece top and bottom, wool socks, stocking cap, bug dope, head net, flares, hatchet, Wyoming saw, roll of 550 cord, water purifying bottle, fire starter, first aide kit, glow sticks, few mountain house meals, box of granola bars, half dozen or so candy bars, good hunting knife, leatherman, full tool kit that will allow me to tear down just about everything on the plane if need be. Fishing pole and assorted tackle and the 10-22 with a couple hundred rounds.

Everything is in a dry bag with the clothing items vacuum sealed also.
    Great gear, but will tell you space blankets have a amazing ability to condense atmospheric moister.Life saver in the desert, but not so good here. And I speak as one who spent a endless night watching my SB drip till it soaked my sleeping bag.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...3510214a.shtml

This is what I have in the kit, and have used it on several occasions and never got dripped on. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing? I dont use those .99 ones you get at Wal Mart that are the silver tube style.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...3510214a.shtml

This is what I have in the kit, and have used it on several occasions and never got dripped on. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing? I dont use those .99 ones you get at Wal Mart that are the silver tube style.
    No, mine didn't have the cover like your's. And admittedly it was humid. But since they are 100% water proof when they cool at night they "sweat" just like the inside walls of a tent,condensing atmospheric moisture. In fact I believe a desert survival trick[to get water] is to arrange a piece of plastic [or a space blanket] in such a manner that that the condensation or "dew" at night runs into a cup. But using it as a tarp it would not matter. I was using mine in a tent as a substitute for a soaked sleeping bag.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

What's the saying..."What you're wearing is your survival kit. What's in the back of the plane is camping equipment" ?