Thread: funny crabbing story

Default funny crabbing story

so a fellow forum member called me today, he was wondering how i had been doing crabbing as he had been having poor luck, just female dungies and a couple shorts in his last set.
    i told him where i was setting and what my bouys looked like, and that my last two picks had been 13 keepers/9 shorts, and 3 and 6, with lots of little dungies. the reason the second pick was light was that i didn't rebait, just splashed the pot back. i mentioned that there were lots of pots where i was, so i was baiting really heavy .... 2 whole pinks and 14 filleted silvers... because i figured i needed to get crabs to come to my pot instead of all the others around.
    yesterday i re-baited with 10 whole pollack, was heading out to pull it today when i saw the afore-mentioned forum member coming into the harbor.
    he came out and i stopped to talk... he said " i know why we weren't getting any... as soon as i turned off the phone i looked up and my pots were right next to yours!!!
    got 8 keepers today, kept 6 because two just didn't have many legs....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

That's a Good One,

In the Commercial "Competitive Mania" Days we used to say,

"He who runs the most gear wins..." and Bait is the most Valuable Gear you've got, in the end.

Good Fishing Dave, I pity your neighbor boats
    So, ya gonna post your buoy numbers or colors on here for us so all your Forum buddies know where NOT to go????
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

PM me... I'll tell you EXACTLY where not to set pots! LMAO... as well as what his buoys look like so you too don't set *right* next to him.

On a good note, I hope this last set stole a few from your pots (ended up with 11 keepers) :-P I spent more time jigging pollack than ever before. Stupid, slimy pollack...

Thanks for the insight BTW.... it's been a fun learning experience!
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Sounds like a good time!! I caught crabs only one time when I was much younger down in Panama City FL. That was a good time too!!

That is too funny, LOL. Made me think.....are all those pots out there Homerdave's?

This summer I asked Dave for some advice about the Tanner season, his success and the general where abouts to try for tanners. One day we deciided to take his advice, stuffed the pots with some smelly bait, dropped them over the side in the area he recommended and went looking for flat fish. On the way home we pulled the pots and surprise, surprise, even we caught a bunch, filled our card. Boy, were they good, too. The whole group of us thanked you Dave .......while we stuffed our faces.

Dave I like your theory about having more bait and better bait than the next guy.
    I will definetly try that later this week when we are out setting again in the bay.I am pretty sure I was fishing a different area than you guys.
    I always wondered about setting in a line down current of someone else and wether all the extra scent would draw more crabs to my pots?
    I got 13 keepers on sunday and had to throw one legal one back due to only 3 of us on the boat. Only had one short a tiny 2" male.A good mix of just barely legals( yes a trooper checked us at the dock) and some real jumbos that easily went 6 and 1/4"
    Kind of funny thing happened with the trooper check. Last time I was checked they had their own measure stick and after measuring 3 or 4 crab counted them and let us go on our way. This time the trooper asked to borrow my stick.I have some of the plastic ones the comm. fishers use. I said no use checking I just measured then using that very same stick.You would think they would have their own certified measure device one that would hold up in court if they did write a ticket right?
    last year I did a lot better but also had heavier sorts. This year ther arent as many in the pots but the majority of them have been legal. Anyone else noticed a difference in their results this year?
    Also lost a pot earlier this year but later saw the new ferry run right over the spot where my pot was previously so i think I know what happened to it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

had my line part at the pot just as it got to the surface today.... AAARGH!!!!
    who's got an extra pot?

How deep are you guys fishing your crab pots?

I heard it is open out of Whittier later this year and am toying with the idea of maybe trying it.

What kind of crab are you catching?

tanner crab around 440'.

Hey Dave... I'm pretty much done for the season -if you still need a pot call me and I'll have the Bro-in-Law get it out for you...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...