Thread: Should I take the ATV to Kodiak????

Default Should I take the ATV to Kodiak????

Hello all,

Looking for some advice. We're taking the ferry to Kodiak from Homer with the truck camper to spend a week fishing along the road system this September.

Here's the dilemma, should I take the ATV and trailer. It would cost us another $352 to bring the trailer. Could someone familiar tell my what is available in the way of trails. I've ridden the granddaddy of Kodiak trails, The Saltry Trail before, so I know that one.
    What else is available??????

Thanks,

We went out to Kodiak 3 years ago with our motorhome and ATV and had a great time. Ironically, the best map of Kodiak trails that I found was the Kodiak Audobon's Hiking and Birding Guide! (Kodiak Audobon, POB 1756, Kodiak, AK 99615)

In addition to the Saltery Cove Road trail, here are a few other places where we found good riding:
    - Trail along Olds River. This one roughly parellels the Saltery Cove trail, but through the next valley to the south. It starts near the end of Kalsin Bay, and is supposed to go all the way through to Portage Bay. In theory you can connect over to the Saltery Cove trail from the southern end, but we kept running into swamps blocking our way.
    - There's beach riding around Pasagshak Bay (between Pasagshak Point and Narrow Cape)
    - There was some good riding around Cape Chiniak, both along the beach/shore line, as well as logging roads and along the Chiniak Highway.
    - There was a good higher-elevation ride around Pyramid Mountain, out the Anton Larsen Bay Road.

SR,
    Thanks for your advice, I ran with it and already ordered the Audobon Map. I called and talked with the Yamaha shop in Kodiak and he said I shouldn't go out the Olds River (Lake Miam) Trail unless we had two to three machines with us. Lots of winching and mud. Most of Cape Chiniak supposedly has been closed by the native corporation. I was also told the native corporation has hired someone (who also guides for bear) to patrol for them. Supposedly if you're parked more than 10 ft off the road you can get a visit by this individual to notify you of your tresspass.

Would appreciate anyone else with knowledge of Kodiak trails to comment.

Thanks,