Thread: Dungeness in Kodiak

Default Dungeness in Kodiak

Hello folks with Kodiak Knowledge!

Headed back to Kodiak City on the ferry this September from Homer with the truck camper. We're bringing an inflatable and outboard. Are there Dungeness Crabs available within a couple miles boat ride of the road system. I'm thinking the Pasagshak, Ugak Bay area or Anton Larsen Bay area, but open to other ideas.
    We still have Dungeness pots from out SE cruise a couple summers ago and will bring them if it might be possible to catch some crab. (PM me if you'd rather keep it private)

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Hey John,
    I'd definitely say bring those pots, there are areas even closer to town with history of dungies, and guys working these bays currently so,
    as you seem to know a bit about what you are doing on the Dungy hunt, I bet you'll get onto some.

I do say "History of Dungies" as the scoop on the dock this year is a pretty drastic reduction in success so far. I'm currently out west on the AK Penin and the big time guys out here are saying it's about a third of last years catch. In Kodiak, before I left I wasn't hearing good stories either but again, as you have some experience,

ya gotta bring 'em you'll get onto enough for some good homepack.

Won't tell you areas or I'll make my friends "not so happy" but you'll be able to see the grounds on a chart. Definitely are Dungy grounds close to the road system,

Good Fishing to ya, Welcome to Kodiak, hope you fill some coolers.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

All right, this is a good start!! Thanks for the quick reply.
    All those **** buoys are are certainly a good clue, I will make use of. Thanks for the advice. Any chance you would have some ATV advice while you're at it. I started a thread on the ATV forum asking about trails. Trying to decide if we should bring the Polaris. Lots of $$$ to bring on the ferry, but maybe worth it?

Thanks,

I'm not an ATV guy but I saw your thread and the first thing I was gonna say before finishing reading was definitely for the Saltery run.

But then you know about that, so...... I know there are quite a few trails around town going out there somewhere but the Native lands issue is getting a bit complicated there lately so....., I would say "negative" on the extra expense if the Saltery run isn't worth that...

But def wait for others to chime in on it, maybe some other road system river fisherman will tell you more. I'm mostly an Offshore Guy.

You're welcome tho, have fun planning
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Called ADFG today and got their low down on the crabbing situation. They also said the numbers are LOW!!! They also told me there was also only about one bay nearby that was going to have ANY crab in it. I won't say the name, but they said it is the one close to town with mooring buoys in it. Sounds like some tough competition from the otters. Empty pots frustrate me, but they're collapsible so maybe we'll bring them anyway. (I sure miss Tenakee Inlet)

Would appreciate any other kodiak crab advice.

Thanks,