Thread: Shot distances

Default Shot distances

I was just wondering what is everyones maximum range for a shot? Either compound or traditional.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

75 yards with my compound .
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mine is 50 with my compound, 35, 40 with my recurve,

Dam wiso, we need to hook up I need some shooting proficiency tutorship with my longbow LMAO!!!

I am comfortable taking a shot at an animal out to 25 yds. with my recurve. Target practicing, I would say I am 70% proficient out to 30, and maybe 60% proficient out to 40. I don't even mess with shots beyond that.

tradbow at 40 with my recurve at targets pie plate size, 4 out of 5 arrows, that is my point on so i put the arrow tip on target as long as i dont pluck my string or drop bow hand they will fly right in there, have to hold tip 30 inches low at 20, this is target shooting, on animals i would say 25, 30 with recurve and 40 yards with my compound, that is my perferred distances to shoot at game.

I practice out to 80 with my compound. I feel like it really makes me focus when I'm shooting long distances during practice. I killed my last caribou at 55, that's my longest so far. I wouldn't push it much farther than that. It's all about personal comfort.

I agree about focusing on longer shots, I use the gap method of aiming for my recurve and I found that it really helps with my accuracy, I also found that shooting my recurve aids my compound shooting, I perfer shooting my recurve I think at close ranges it is more effective and lethal then my compund bow. Refering to how quick I can draw and shoot as compared to my compund.

75yards w/my compound, im leaving for colorado for a 21 day DIY archery elk hunt in the south san juan mtns, hopefully i'll have some awsome pics to post when i get back, i've been practicing all summer at distances of point blank to 100yrds but 75 yrds is my personal max limit for killing game clean, my longest kill was a 61yrd shot last yr on a whitetail, complete pass thru double lung using rage 2blade, practice...practice...practice & you'll increase your kill range.

I feel comfortable within 40 yards with my compound. I practice further ranges but I dont feel safe beyond 40 yds on game yet, im working on it though. Farthest bow shot I taken so far has been 30 yards. We'll see how my new Destroyer shoots when I get it in

man why didnt I think someone would be shooting point of aim. My point on is 55ish yards....and no way in heck am I shootn that at game, it is fun on targets though.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    man why didnt I think someone would be shooting point of aim. My point on is 55ish yards....and no way in heck am I shootn that at game, it is fun on targets though.

55 yards huh you must be pulling back more then me my widow is 51lbs plus or minus 1, and I shoot carbon express heritage 250's at 29 3/4 with a 100 grain insert and 125 grain tips, fly remarkably well 20 yards bareshaft. I am hoping I get a chance at a moose with my recurve, truly an awsome way to bowhunt,

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Mine is 50 with my compound, 35, 40 with my recurve,
    wiso, you should stick to under 10 yards, both compound and recurve, until you sharpen your skills!!

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    wiso, you should stick to under 10 yards, both compound and recurve, until you sharpen your skills!!
    Perhaps you should stick to the introductions forum until you can sharpen you wit...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Perhaps you should stick to the introductions forum until you can sharpen you wit...

perhaps I know wiso and i'm messing with him!!! I can see I'm getting on your nerves, thank you for letting me be part of you life!!

I guess I forgot the appropriate emoticons to display my intentions... A couple of these would have helped..

I have noticed that your rather pointed comments seem to have become more reserved, so for that thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I guess I forgot the appropriate emoticons to display my intentions... A couple of these would have helped..

I have noticed that your rather pointed comments seem to have become more reserved, so for that thank you.
    Yep, you definately was airforce!!

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    No 10 yards is my max rifle shot actually it was 21 yards last years moose hunt, but thanks for caring