Thread: Newcomer

Default Newcomer

New to this forum!! I've been looking alot into going to Alaska and hunting lately...I've dreamed since i've been too young to even hunt about going to alaska. I'm 19, just out of high school last year, i'm currently going to a taxidermy school, and trying to work and save money.....I don't have a whole lot of money at all, but I'd just love to talk about the hunting oppurtunities. Is it even a possibility for me to get up to Your great state being a non residant, with out paying out the rearend for a guide?.....any help at all would greatly be appreciated

Welcome to the forum Deadeye! You will find lots of useful (and some not so useful) information here. Searching the archives will bring out a lot of forgotten topics as well.

There are several species of critters that you can hunt without a guide. My recommendation would be to check out the hunting regulations for the basics. When you decide on what/where you want to hunt, throw a question out.

People don't realize how big Alaska is. Our game and terrain vary greatly from one end of the state to the other.

Good luck and glad to have you here.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

man at your age you wanna see as much action as you can and not have to pay for it. you need to get on as a packer at a caribou camp, you'l lhave the time of your life, get in the best shape you've ever been and maybe even get a chance to shoot some caribou or something, while you get paid!!
    shoot me a pm and i'll give you some ideas on where to start looking..but you gotta be able to commit about two months to it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

hey man, i just got back from the desert, and then moved up to AK. it's incredible here. be really watchful on what game management unit you jump into when you come up here. there's lots of intricacies and variations through the state. (and for a state that's four or five times the size of texas, there should be)

i thought i'd be able to hunt for caribou, but in my management unit, nonresidents can't hunt them. in the adjacent unit i can, but it's pretty tough to get over there. there are a few ways to do it without a guide, depending what you're after. for some hunts, you'd be a fool to do it without a guide. there's a lot of open territory up here, it's easy to get yourself into some bad situations.

but if you have the chance to get up here, even if it's just for a summer, it would be well worth it. the tourist season supposedly opens up quite a few jobs at marinas and travel places. if you can do it, do it.

Default newcomer

Brwnbr has the right idea. If I was 19 again and wanted to make this happen, I would jump at the chance to work in a camp. Most will work your butt off and the experiences will last a lifetime.

Bullwinkle

Thank you guys for responding to my post! Any information on working for a camp? or who i could get intouch with?.....Never even thought about it before, but that would be an awesome way to get to experiance alot of diffrent things and doing something i would enjoy ( i know it wouldn't be a walk in the park though). I'm all ears with info about this idea. People to talk to, times of years, what i'd do...anything and everything. once again, thanks alot.....brett

do a search for guided caribou hunts, call them and ask to be a packer...august and september, its pretty stinking simple!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thank you everyone for the help, I live in Pa, and our sportsmen show is this weekend.....I think it's like the largest around. Tons of outfitters down there, maybe i'll see if i can talk to them one on one and see what happens! It's gonna be fun just even talking to them about it.....thanks alot again,
    Brett

Default Another idea

Deadeye308

I suggest you also consider working the season at a fishing lodge. SE Alaska has many to choose from. Good way to sock away some sick cash and learn about the state. Most lodges will be looking for their 2007 crews very soon. It would be easy for you to do a deer hunt in August. Sportsman Cove Lodge on POW Island treats their seasonal employees very well. Below is their contact info. I used to be a teacher and many of my students worked the season for them with no complaints, just great memories.

Sportsman's Cove Lodge
    Post Office Box 8500

Ketchikan, AK 99901
    Reservations: 1-800-962-7889
    Business: 907-247-7252
    info@alaskasbestlodge.com

Thumbs up Do it while you can!!

Deadeye, I was in your exact position 5 or 6 years ago. I considered packing, working a fish camp or commercial fishing. I even had contact and a line in with a captain, but I had to honor my mother's wishes (my dad lost several friends on a boat that went down) and resort to a safer affair. After 5 years of "realizing" my dream, I know now where I need to be. I am moving to Fairbanks this coming June. I considered packing just to see the state and learn more about hunting there, but I hope to get a teaching job and that would ruin all chances because of time conflicts. There are tons of things to do in the summer to see the state. You might even consider a tourism/sightseeing type summer job. Do it while you can bud, life comes quick!

Best of Luck,
    Joshua