Thread: Tips for Coastal Black Bears????

Default Tips for Coastal Black Bears????

It's on!!! I'll be coming back up to your great state for a May 2011 black bear hunt. Any of you guys got a tip or two to share for hunting your huge coastal black bears for a guy from Missouri??

God bless..hope you all have an awesome hunting season!!

Fr. Joe

Where in Alaska are you hunting?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Prince of Whales Island.

Be patient and be on the look out late in the evening. They'll come out right before it's too dark to see/shoot. Haven't hunted P.O.W, but from what I've heard you shouldn't have any trouble getting a bear. Look for a big one. There are LOTS of them there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

What week would be recommended as the best time in may to hunt POW in may for lots of coastal blacks?

Last time I was there was a June 5 - June 10 trip a couple years ago. We saw 23 bears in about 10 total hours of hunting. Spent more time napping, eating crab, and processing meat than actually hunting bears...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Rylan

I have been there April 17th and it was 90 degrees, the next year there was 6 inches of snowing and still snowing, Two years ago we went out in mid May, nothing out, went back the first week of June, bears all over the place, but starting to get rubbed out already. I think mid May or early June best bet, unless an early spring, Keep up with the weather online, or get to know someone that lives there and call them a lot for reports and forcasts.

Regardless of bear activity, you'll have a great time. Prince of Wales is an amazing place! Trying to time it out perfectly will be hard due to ferry reservations, etc. Just pick a week between May 1 and June 15 and enjoy your trip. Bring some crab pots!!!

Learn the difference between a big bear/small bear, boar/sow. Keep your binos bolted to your head, and hunt early/late.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I have been there April 17th and it was 90 degrees, the next year there was 6 inches of snowing and still snowing, Two years ago we went out in mid May, nothing out, went back the first week of June, bears all over the place, but starting to get rubbed out already. I think mid May or early June best bet, unless an early spring, Keep up with the weather online, or get to know someone that lives there and call them a lot for reports and forcasts.
    I got my bear on April 21st this year. I'm pretty sure it was the first one sealed on POW. A few other ones were killed a few days after mine according to the sealer. All nice bears. Hunting in April is not as action packed as May, but they are some nice bears and not many guys are out looking yet. You really need to sort em out of you are hunting in mid may, as sows, dinks, and rubbed rats are all over the place.

Thank you very much for all the input on the right time to hunt spring blacks, all of you were very helpful and I do appreciate it. I'm also looking at going to Kuiu Island as well as POW Island, would one or the other be a better choice for more bears or bigger bears or maybe even less hunting pressure? Thanks again

Ok, based on the info from all of you I've booked the 3rd week of may with an outfitter for a self-guided hunt. Outfitter says we can hunt POW and Kuiu or kueprenuf islands, which is going to be the better of the 3 islands to spend my time hunting, any suggestions?

The Board of Game meets in Ketchikan next week to cosider changes in the Black Bear regs in SE Alaska.

There will be changes that will go into affect in July 2011 ....

I sure hope the changes are for the better because I have waited for nearly 15 yrs for the chance to hunt coastal blacks. It's been my dream hunt for a long time so I hope I get the opportunity. Have you heard what any of the changes are going be?

I'm sure you can look at the proposals online on the St of Ak ADF&G Board of Game site.

Some are pretty drastic.

I reviewed them Muskeg. They seem to have some teeth and I can see a few happening.

I wonder if residents will get dropped down to one across SE?

My very uneducated guess is that Non Res goes to draw with the fall hunt eliminated, and Res goes down to 1 bear.

Anybody else want to guess?

The meetings started last night in prep for the BOG and USFS meets .... the SE Guides meet with the USFS all day today.

There are lots of props to stop hunting opp's for even the Resident Bear hunter.

The BOG could go several different ways.

More later.

ADF&G sat back and watched as the bears were over harvested on POW, now they are forced to do something drastic. As I said a few years ago on this forum, leave the AK residents alone and make it a limited draw hunt only for non-residents!...it’s that easy.

The ADF&G want “opportunity” for all!........For all except the bears…worry about managing the game and not the revenue and it will be better for all! IMHO