Thread: tough tilting

Unhappy tough tilting

I just came back from trying to help a friend. He has an older Johnson 50 horse with a pump. His motor is almost siezed in the down position (it does not have power tilt). He has had the boat for several years, and has never been ablt to get the zerks to take grease. . He installed new zerks twice and dug out all the old grease he could reach.
    I think the hinges have siezed to the shaft.
    does anyone out there have an answer to getting this stuck shaft (steel) out of the aluminum hinge? We can get the two nuts off the ends. I didn't want to break anything so we did not pound on it too hard.
    Is there a set screw or something holding it?
    Last edited by snowtigger; 08-28-2010 at 17:49. Reason: spelling

We had to swap out some of that gear on a twin 48 hp setup and had the same issues; we just sprayed a whole crap load of WD-40 on everything and beat it with a mallot and block of wood; a mm at a time back & forth; finally got enough to get everything apart. On assembly, we coated everything with grease; same thing, it wouldn't take any grease and the zerks were okay.
    Jim
    Don't be too afraid to beat on it, just don't go at it directly with a metal hammer or sledge and go slow, not much else you could do but maybe heat it up?

That's what I had in mind. I have a brass hammer, also a plastic dead-blow hammer. I will try it with Kroil. I know aluminum oxide is what a lot of grinder wheels are made of.
    I think I will heat the collar and freeze the shaft with liquid propane. Nitrogen would be better, but alas, I have none.

IF you have an air compressor, use an air hammer and a brass drift. It should come right out.

Got it !!! Used a hammer with a soft drift on one end, and a large socket on the other. Put alot of torque on the nut and beat on the other end. Heated up the casting. It was surprisingly easy.
    I asked because I wasn't sure and did not want to break anything. Thanks, Big Jim, for the help....