Thread: RG 480 Kodiak goat hunt

Default RG 480 Kodiak goat hunt

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, been watching this forum for a while now, but just did a hunt on kodiak so I thought I would post the results. I went with my dad to Frazer lake on a hopeful goat hunt, but I think we got some bad information. The goats were there for sure, we spotted about 40 on the eastern ridge between Karluk and Frazer but they are almost impossible to get to. We hiked through the bush to the goats but they were gone by the time we got there. There was a huge billy that we spotted towards red lake but he was about 3 days out. It turned out to be a glorified fishing/bear viewing trip. It was still great. The biologist said they have only killed 2 goats out of there in the past 5 years, im sure there are some killer billys out there, but they are hard to get. Anyway the cabin was great, and helped to clear the mind. I do not regret it at all! Rolan with Seahawk was a great Pilot, maybe next year we will put in for "easier" draw hunts. I will say that on the way out most of the goats were in 480 in the snow, but a long walk. cheers!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/kodiak%202010/DSCN0360.JPG[/IMG]

Good Job, gettin the mind cleared, and probably flushed out a few arteries in that bush, eh?
    Welcome to the Emerald Island ?

Gotta love how Western Kodiak'll do that to ya, "looks almost tame from the air or the beach, then you get about 100ft up into the "Brush" and it's "oh man, those critters are about three days out !!"

You probably didn't get bad info, just a bit incomplete, somebody not able to describe "just walking on up there" on Kodiak.
    It'll be interesting to see how many think "I'm tougher than that guy" and go charging up to those areas you mention, eh?

Glad you had a good trip and good perspective on the entire hunt.
    PS some people actually pay thousands to come up just to watch Kodiak Bears......

Oh, and Welcome to the posting part of the Forums, keep writing man, where in SE are you from?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Good Job, gettin the mind cleared, and probably flushed out a few arteries in that bush, eh?
    Welcome to the Emerald Island ?

Gotta love how Western Kodiak'll do that to ya, "looks almost tame from the air or the beach, then you get about 100ft up into the "Brush" and it's "oh man, those critters are about three days out !!"

You probably didn't get bad info, just a bit incomplete, somebody not able to describe "just walking on up there" on Kodiak.
    It'll be interesting to see how many think "I'm tougher than that guy" and go charging up to those areas you mention, eh?

Glad you had a good trip and good perspective on the entire hunt.
    You mean this stuff?????
    My wife's Kodiak lesson, things are not always as close as they appear!!!

Steve

LOL ohhh geez stid the memories...that stuff is crazy stuff, give me alders any day over that crap! i've fallen over and not hit the ground before in that stuff...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

That stuff will truly kick your butt! What is it? We waded through a bunch of it on Kodiak too, someone told me it was salmonberry bush. Any confirmation?

When I was dragging deer down, I took a tumble like Jake said, and I just rolled across a mattress of that stuff and bounced back up!

mattress with thorns maybe... salmonberry is what i was told too..i've never seen it leafed out though.
    Master guide 212

Sounds like a darn tough hunt!! When we did Kodiak we just decided to move into the goats house and not leave till we punched our tags. Nice high spike camp and every day we got up and found them in different areas of the drainage. Trying to go out and back from a base camp is pure misery!! There is no way we would have connected if we didn't set up residence right in the middle of them! Guys with more goat exp than me can provide their findings but we looked over several drainages that appeared empty only to spot lines of goats WAY up along the skyline. Frequently we would only see a head or some horns poking up through the bino's then put the scope on em and see bands of 2-12.

[QUOTE=lgdundee;796248]Hey everyone,

This is my first post, been watching this forum for a while now, but just did a hunt on kodiak so I thought I would post the results. I went with my dad to Frazer lake on a hopeful goat hunt, but I think we got some bad information. The goats were there for sure, we spotted about 40 on the eastern ridge between Karluk and Frazer but they are almost impossible to get to. We hiked through the bush to the goats but they were gone by the time we got there. There was a huge billy that we spotted towards red lake but he was about 3 days out. It turned out to be a glorified fishing/bear viewing trip. It was still great. The biologist said they have only killed 2 goats out of there in the past 5 years, im sure there are some killer billys out there, but they are hard to get. Anyway the cabin was great, and helped to clear the mind. I do not regret it at all! Rolan with Seahawk was a great Pilot, maybe next year we will put in for "easier" draw hunts. I will say that on the way out most of the goats were in 480 in the snow, but a long walk. cheers!

I am headed to Frazer Lake on Kodiak in November for a Brown Bear hunt. I was wondering if you had any info that would help us. I am staying in the south end cabin, is this where you stayed? If so is there anything we should know about the cabin such as any stoves or how were the sleeping arrangements..... We are bringing a 11ft zodiak and a 9.9HP motor, do you think this will be sufficient for the lake? I was hoping to get in on a goat as well but it doesn't appear that it will be an easy hunt..... What about deer? Did you see any? And finally how was the BEAR population as this is my primary goal. Any info would help. Thanks

general rule is cabins aren't the best hunting areas....
    another general rule...contact the guide working that area and let him know you'll be there. most are pretty cool and be willing to trade some helpfull information to you and to help you stay outa their hair...might be the best phone call you ever made. i garuntee you he knows more about that area than anyone around.
    Master guide 212