Thread: Freezing Blueberries

Default Freezing Blueberries

I am looking for some answers because my wife and I are totally new at this and don't want to ruin any more berries.

The first day we picked blueberries, we only got about a quart because of the rain and cold that snuck up on us. Anyway, we got them home, ate a few, and she rinsed and froze the rest in snack sized baggies.

I went the next day to eat a few of the frozen ones and discovered that ALL of them tasted horrible. Very bitter - almost like eating just the stems or something.

Since then, I have read that we should not rinse them, let them air dry, and then freeze them openly in a single layer on wax paper and then put them into the baggies. The only reason I can get for this, however, is to keep them from sticking together.

Anyway, we picked about a gallon yesterday, brought them home, and did not rinse them. I dried off about 10 of them, put them in a baggy and let them freeze. After about 6 hours, I ate one and it was still sweet. Then, after another 6 hours, I tried one and it was that nasty bitter flavor! They were all like that again.

So now I have about a gallon of blueberries laid out all over the kitchen air drying and I have no idea what to do to store them since freezing is ruining them.

Can anybody please tell me what to do? Thanks.

Eagle River, AK

My wife freezes ours laid out in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then bags them after a day or so. I have no idea why yours are turning bitter, but ours are always good when using this approach.

OKay, thanks. I guess I will try that with a few and see what happens. If that doesn't work, do you have any other storage suggestions?

I'm at a loss as to why yer's are bitter as I've picked mine, took out the leaves & twigs, & then put them away...never had a "bad" batch of blueberries...but then again, this is Marshall...

Fairbanks, AK

What kind of freezer bags are you using? That's the only thing I can come up with. I DO rinse mine. Then I let them drain for several hours, freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet then use Ziplock freezer bags. I use a straw and suck out all the air, vacum packing them. I use small bags so I don't have to un vacum a whole bag for a hand ful of berries. It works fine and taste just like when I put them in there.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Thanks. I did the open air dry sand then bag method and all seems fine. Very strange, but who knows what happened. Thanks again.