Thread: moose jerky... strips vs. jerky cannon

Default moose jerky... strips vs. jerky cannon

Im lookin to turn some of my moose meat to jerky and have seen the jerky cannon caulk gun thing at sportsman's warehouse but everyone on here says just cut to thin strips. I already have TONS of the moose ground up to burger so the cannon is pretty appealing to me right now. So what is the recommendation? What is the difference? I know the obvious the jerky cannon stuff is going to be more tender and obviously have a different texture but is there any difference in overall taste? I have searched and come up empty handed. I have made deer jerky before and we always used the cannon but I know moose is generally more tough than deer meat any advice would be appreciated.

I love my jerky cannon, the wife bought the nice one from Cabellas. I grind it, use food grade 5 gal buckets to mix in jerky spice and cure mix and grind one more time and use the cannon to shoot it onto the drying racks and into the oven at 170 with the door cracked dry until it is to your taste. I vacuum seal and freeze.

Good Luck

Steve

Jerky, yum. 8 more days until the start of hunting season here. I am looking forward to making all kinds of stuff with moose meat. (Hopefully we will be lucky enough to harvest one) i did do some salmon strips, they are kinda like jerky.

Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I used to use the jerky cannon with ground deer and elk years ago until it broke. But, I found it as quick and easy, with same results, to just roll the ground jerky meat out like bread dough to desired thickness, cut into 1 or 2 inch wide strips and dry in oven.

Grinding it a second time like Stid said seems to ‘pack’ the meat tighter and it’s not so hamburgery and crumbly after it dries, and seems to stay together better….I didn’t learn that trick until years later.

I’ve got a bunch of moose and buffalo burger I’ll be turning into pepperonis and summer sausage…Hadn’t thought about jerky until reading this post, but will definitely make a batch or two now. Good luck BSJ!

I've never preferred the reconstituted jerky from the caulk gun style kits. It tastes o.k., but the consistency and process are not that of traditional jerky.

But it's a matter of personal preference, and little more.

Traditional jerky (we make it from large sirloin tip, bottom round, and similar grade, quality, or 'tougher' moose roasts that would otherwise get corned or pot roasted) has a nice chewy, longer-lasting, natural consistency.

I can post my recipe on here if someone would like. I've shared it before. We've developed it over the years, and it's quite tasty. It uses 9-10 lbs. of meat at a time, though you can divide that down to what ever amount is suitable, reducing the ingredients proportionally, or multiply it, and increase the amounts of ingredients as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I love my jerky cannon, the wife bought the nice one from Cabellas. I grind it, use food grade 5 gal buckets to mix in jerky spice and cure mix and grind one more time and use the cannon to shoot it onto the drying racks and into the oven at 170 with the door cracked dry until it is to your taste. I vacuum seal and freeze.

Good Luck

Steve
    i have a very easy way of mixing meats and spices, double bag two white 13 gallon trash bags, and pour in up to 20lbs of meat at a time, push all the air out of the bags twist them shut and lay on table or counter and kneed and fold like bread dough, clean up is cheap and easy to.. just toss the bag in the trash when done... i use doubled bags as i found it east to poke holes in a single bag.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have a very easy way of mixing meats and spices, double bag two white 13 gallon trash bags, and pour in up to 20lbs of meat at a time, push all the air out of the bags twist them shut and lay on table or counter and kneed and fold like bread dough, clean up is cheap and easy to.. just toss the bag in the trash when done... i use doubled bags as i found it east to poke holes in a single bag.
    That is a good idea. Thanks Vince

Steve

I just turned 15 lbs of moose burger into jerky with my jerky cannon yesterday. Over the past 10 years I've probably put 200 lbs of burger through my jerky cannon. I use to cut thin slices from a roast as my method of making jerky but I get better consistency (and more even drying) when using the jerky cannon. I double grind all my burger so perhaps that's why I never notice much of a "burger" consistency in the jerky sticks themselves. Sometimes I'll use the snack stick attachment (about the diameter of your little finger) rather than making strips, same process just different shape of the end product. My general thought is if you're using burger for your jerky it doesn't matter how tough the meat was initially, especially if you grind twice.

Jerky from the guns are ok, but the real thing is much better, with that said though if you have some very tough cuts of meat (trimmings that wont work well for much else) then grinding them several times and shooting them is a good alternative. One advantage to the guns are that you can season the jerky more thoroughly.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Yeah, nuthin' like a lil' elbow grease & some moose jerky...jerky "canon"...ROTFLMAO!