Thread: Can someone toss me a bone?

Default Can someone toss me a bone?

Hello All, new guy here and here's my story. I only get to live in Alaska one week a year, at least for the last ten. That week is spent each fall, late September, chasing Silvers on Prince of Wales Island. The rest of the time I chase Carp in Utah just to keep the rods bent.

So in the last 10 years me and my fishing partners have only been out for halibut twice. Once in 2000 and just last fall. We took a local guide the first trip and fished on the outside around Shaft rock and Cape Addington. I hauled up two big ones - BOTH of which came off the hook ( our guide used J hooks and I was a rookie). One was 48 inches plus and sat right next to the boat for several minutes. I asked the guide what we could do and his reply was 'I can't get that fish'. oh well... and then we ended up with ping pong paddles and a chicken that didn't break 10 pounds.

Last fall our host, Chuck Haydu, took us out for a short trip and we fished on the inside due to low fuel and the petrol dock power being out. We fished only 2 miles from the dock. What surprised him was we hauled up a 53, a 40, couple of 20's and some teens from two spots in short order and we were done. Went back to the petrol dock when power was restored and when he began pumping the fuel guage got 'unstuck', shot to full and gushed gas everywhere. But we were totally satisfied with our catch and called it good. Didn't even try for rockfish or lings.

Next month we'll be there again- trip #11 for me - and we're renting our own boat to try our luck.

Any of you Prince or Walers care to toss me a bone as to where we might try besides the two spots we hit in the Ursua Channel and NOT on the outside? With the fall weather being sketchy at times, we'll most likely stay on the inside. We're hoping to catch a few eating size halibut to take home in the fish boxes along with the coho (if they decide to come into the freshwaters). Charts -17404, 17405, 17406 are the most likely areas we'll be targeting.

On AOJ I post as CarolinaBoy on the private anglers reports about our SE AK trip each year so I signed up here as the same name. I'm from NC but have lived in UT the last 4 years with work. Hoping to hear from someone in the next few weeks as to a decent area to try without you giving up your 'secret honey hole'.

thanks in advance,

Steve

Thought I'd bump this up for you. May not be too many people here who fish that area. Good luck.

Appreciate the thought, skydiver. Being new here I wasn't too sure of the possibility of any replies as I see more than few posts that have upwards of several hundred views with only a couple of replies. I have seen a handful of POW anglers on here. And I can certainly see the wisdom of keeping your 'secret spot' a secret. I found a few charts and tidbits on other sites including a couple of low res maps with areas marked for salmon and halibut. If the weather holds, we'll go out to Shaft Rock, Pineapple, Veta Bay, hole in the wall and some other spots near or on the outside. Heck, with the dead/dying humpies washing out of the creeks and streams we may get lucky on some big 'butts on the inside. The 40# and 53# we caught same time last year were within a couple miles of the Craig Petrol dock. Guess I'll post the results in 25-30 days.

These are the two I mentioned from last fall. With a coworker and my nephew-his first trip and he pulls up the 53#er. (no, it wasn't cold - Josh is just styling with his bomber hat!)

Steve

Yeah, I wish I could help you, too, but I have never fished down that way. I still can't figure out why people down that way can't be a little more helpful. I know there are POW people that post here, and some of them are very generous in their thoughts when they contradict with mine and have no qualms about posting incessantly when that happens, but when someone asks for some help there's nothing. Go figure. I hope you get some help here.

Maybe you should change your plans some year and come to Homer instead. I live here because I love it here. And it's a great place to visit. Give it some thought. I'd be MORE than happy to help you out then! I'm sure if you are an AOJ reader you know my "cohodave" postings, so you know I will be more than generous with my advice.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Carolinaboy.. Just saw your thread. I don't read em all on this forum and it helps if "POW" is in the title. Shoot me a PM (I can't send one to you as you don't have enough posts)
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-31-2010 at 14:33. Reason: negative personal comment

Carolinaboy shoot me a PM as well.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    We fished only 2 miles from the dock. What surprised him was we hauled up a 53, a 40, couple of 20's and some teens from two spots in short order and we were done.
    BTW, those spots are 8ish miles from the dock, and 7 miles from the fuel dock.. I know, because I've fished most of those spots in Ursula Channel for years. (I'm good friends with Chuck) I've pulled hali as large as 220 off those spots. When I first found those spots, I pulled a lot of good hali over 50lbs off of them. Now it's not as good, but if you hit them at the right time, (haven't figured out when exactly the right time is yet) you can still get some nice ones.

carolina.. Looking through my photobucket, this is one I found on one of the Ursula spots in 08. Round halibut! It was blowing SE 30knts and we almost blew in Butler Bay by the time I got a harpoon in it.. A few big ones on those spots.. Just keep doing drifts over them and get lots of scent down there.

Thanks for the replies! I'll send PM's next.

Dave-now don't go getting a big head- but I've read ALL your posts on AOJ! and see you have a link now, too. KK does a great service with his site. I would head right up there if we didn't have such a sweet deal with Chuck Haydu at his lodge.

270ti - nice lookin butt! that fish is huge, too! lol! Don't get me wrong, that was internet humor falling flat on its face. Chuck and Jeanette can vouch for me. I've been on that same dock hundreds of times.

Here's my Bro-in-law and nephew on the dock.

I'll be standing on it in about 23 days. The top photo is my mug with a coho.

Steve

Looks like I'm still limited in posting priveleges as a newbie. I can send email and did to FISHFACE but cannot send PM's, yet.
    my email is stephenaprice at hotmail dot com

thanks,
    Steve

Roger that. I'll be up north moose hunting till the 26th of Sept, but I'll email you some gps coordinates when I get a chance.

270ti - sounds great! Chuck and Jeanette are up north, too, chasing moose. Thanks in advance for the boost up the learning curve. Caught this one last night . It's more GOLD than SILVER but did bend the rod and rip some line. went right at a meter in length and 17 pounds. Released after the photo.

Steve