Thread: Lever gun scope question...

Question Lever gun scope question...

My father-in-law has a Winchester Model 1886 Extra Light in 45-70. He has had instances where he wished he had a scope on it for the 100-150 yard shots. He is very accurate with it. He just has issues shooting the longer shots when he can't see out that far very well. His stipulation is he still wants to be able to take the shorter range shots if need be. Curious as to what anyone up here uses or any ideas. Thanks in advance...

AZinAK

1.5x5 leopold

I prefer a scout scope set up for out to 200 yards. Leupold makes a nice fixed 2.5x scout scope.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043787712741a.shtml

Cabela's LeverRevolution scope; precalibrated for bullet drop with Hornaday ammo; just rangefind, then place the corresponding reticle on target.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

A scope on an 1886 must be mounted to the barrel forward of the receiver, scout scope style, or offset to the left of the receiver in a side mount. Both of these are required because the 1886 ejects straight up out of the top of the action. I would buy a gun more suited for scope mounting and keep the '86 with iron sights.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I'd be very tempted to forego the scope completely and put a peep sight on that rifle- big game to 200yds shouldn't be too difficult depending on his vision and shooting skill although that doesn't sound like its a problem. As gunbugs pointed out- those are pretty difficult to scope well in the grand scheme of things.

I have used the scout scope on a lever gun with very good results (and on a bolt action as well) but I've got say that any scope on a lever gun like that just makes me queasy! LOL.

I finally gave up my "lever scout" based on the pure aesthetics alone- looked out of sorts and it felt very off balance compared to a regular iron sighted 94.

this is my 86" set-up..it's a lyman 21 copy made by the providence tool company. as you can see it works pretty good. i agree that a scope for this rifle would not be the best arrangement, and perhaps a trade would be the best advice.
    happy trails.
    jh

I agree with gunbugs also. Leave the 86 with a peep site or other site. Buy a angle eject 45-70 cal firearm & put a scope on it.
    I tried to mount a scope on my F.I.Ls Win 94 Top Eject. Was not a good situation even with a Win scope mount. Too much trouble and not worth the effort. Still have problems with ejected spent brass hanging up under the scope.

Boy, I'd sure try him with the peep sight first, then go through the hassle to scope it as a last resort. Very last. If it's got a bead front sight, just use the top edge of the bead (like you would a blade) for sighting, rather than centering the bead on the target. If you center the bead, it will cover the whole animal long before you get out to the range he wants to shoot. All our levers are sighted in that way, and it makes for very precise shooting, even on small targets.

My wife's Savage 99 in 250 is a real shocker to most scope advocates on levers. From a bench she can whack 16 ounce water bottles all day long well past 100 yards, and can hit them every time offhand at 75 yards. If she was using the center of the bead for sighting, you couldn't even see the bottles at 50 yards.

Longest shot I ever saw with a lever action was a friend's dad with his Savage 99 in 300 sighted that way. Rested his elbows on his knees and shot two nice bucks at a lasered 285 yards. One shot each. Did I fail to mention that they were called neck shots? Before we hiked over to the deer I borrowed his rifle and looked through the peep. You couldn't find the two deer laying side by side behind the bead.

this is a marlin 1895/45-70 and a 200 yard group. the bottom shot was fired at the 100 yard setting. after cranking up...i fired 3 more. i learned to mark my sight adjustments from this exersize.
    happy trails.
    jh

Man Pinehaven, thats some pretty darn good shootin at 200 yards - nicely done!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

thanks smokey! i was shooting with a game warden friend of mine (brian fellrath) at his range. it was a fun day.
    happy trails.
    jh

For a 336 receiver I like these scopes: FX 2.5, VXII 1-4, VXIII 1.5-5. Mounted low with a hamber extention. I have a VXII 1-4 on my 336D. For those guys who use the 336 for in more open terrain where a Large FOV is not as important The VXII 2-7x28mm is real nice say for a 308ME it should prove fine for 35-300 yards.

I can't see any advantage to more than 4X on a lever gun, regardless of the cartridge. I can also think of at least a dozen reasons why less scope (smaller overall) is more benefit on a rifle that is designed to be ergonomically advantageous and ZERO advantages for more Xs, more weight & more bulk in a riflescope for the same rifle. In other words, if you're going to hang 16-24 ounces on top of a nimble rifle you're losing ANY inherent advantage the lever gun possesses. I want the total package (scope & mounts) to weigh in at less than 12 ounces (preferably 10 oz.) or I'll keep a aperture sight for directing my bullets from a lever gun.

The 2.5X Leupold may be about the most ideal scope for a lever gun there is IMO. I have an old M8 3X (recently refreshed by Leupold) on a BLR that is nearly as good and can sometimes be had for a bit less on the used market. If you must have a variable then the 2x7 Ultralight by Leupold is light enough & small enough to make a good pairing, but it is no better than the 2.5X. Obviously YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks everyone for your input...been busy building my house out here in the valley...Go to work in the morning to come home and go to work...will be worth it though...Back to the post...I saw somewhere a side hinged scope mount that allowed you to flip it to the side for close shots...don't know how well it works, especially with the heavy cartridges but I thought it was interesting. The look under scope rings I don't think would work considering the natural draw of lever guns...lifting your head up like that to look through your scope would be uncomfortable. If I find that side flip scope mount again I will post it as it was interesting none the less...Thanks again everyone...

AZinAK