Thread: Fuel Filters for the Yukon

Default Fuel Filters for the Yukon

I'm running a Yamaha F150 with the stock fuel filter setup. I've had zero problems so far with fuel.
    I'm going to be heading down the Yukon to Galena and beyond here in about 2 weeks.

I've heard that I should have a Racor filter setup with a drain on the fuel/water separator bowl and to plan on getting some fuel with a bit of water in it.

If I have the Yamaha filter do I really need the Racor with drain setup?

If so, should I replace the yamaha filter with the racor or should I install them in series?

Anyone with experience in this area I would appreciate hearing your opinions.

I would want a water separating filter on a boat period, it is a valuable piece of equipment if you do a lot of transferring from drums and that. If your stock filter is a water separator I would assure I carried a replacement element or 2. If it is not a water separator the Racor is the way to go.

I have bought a lot of gas from the villages along the Yukon over the years and have never had a problem with water or bad gas. They will be selling a lot of gas in the next month so I wouldn't think they would have old gas around.

Is your "stock filter setup" an external, inline, filter? If so, you should be able to replace the canister or element with a Racor set up. I too will be heading down the Yukon in a couple weeks. I have a Sea Sense marine fuel/water separator installed on my boat. I went looking for a replacement (before I used my spare) and was unable to find one. So off to Jackovich for a Racor. They had what I needed. So I just installed the new filter, w/clear drainable bowl, to my already installed filter housing. It was quite a bit more expensive. It was like $75 for the filter and bowl. The bowl was $44 and is reusable. Later that same day, I found the original filter I was looking for at Three Bears of all places. It was only $9 so I now have two spares. Im running a Suzuki DF140 and replaced the two filters under the cowl also. Wow those are expensive.

My current stock filter setup is a water separating type of filter. It does not have a clear bowl with a valve for draining off any water.
    The mechanic at Dewey's where I bought the boat said to take the filter off and shake it out to remove any water accumulation.
    I have 4 replacement filter elements but I'm wondering if I should switch over to a racor with clear bowl and drain.
    Thanks for the information Rambling Raven.

AKJeff, If I understand you correctly, you were able to purchase a racor filter canister and clear bowl with drain for your Sea Sense "housing".
    I'll call Jackovich and talk things over with them.
    Thanks for the help.

The Yammi one is junk! Pull it off and install a Racor one. The Dewey mechanics should know this, but they just want to end up selling you some injectors at $175 each. Spend the $75 and install one, or even 2 in series like some do which is overkill.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

OK MARV1 I'm off to get a racor setup. Thanks to everyone for the input.

get a mr. funnel. run all your suspect gas thru this before it gets in your tank and it traps all of the water. it works great.

I heard about the funnel and have heard only good things about it but I bought a racor set up and am happy with it. How often do people drain the bowl? I seem to have to do it or my filter gets clogged fairly quickly the gas in the bowl turns orange thats when I know i have to drain it

Never plan on the best fuel in the bush. Are you gonna be pulling from barrels or transferring barrels to main tank? Highly recommend the Racor. Yukon is the last place you wanna have fueling issues.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I bought a racor setup this afternoon. As soon as the monsoon relents I'll get it installed.
    I'll be pulling fuel from drums on deck
    I think I'll go ahead and buy the Mr. Funnel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Persistent1 View Post
    I bought a racor setup this afternoon. As soon as the monsoon relents I'll get it installed.
    I'll be pulling fuel from drums on deck
    I think I'll go ahead and buy the Mr. Funnel as well.
    We've run a 3 way fuel selector so you can switch from barrel to main tank without stopping. just add quick release fittings to the pickup tubes and your ready to rock. also allows you to swap sides to keep weight n balance in check.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed