Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Center Pin Fishing????????

Default Center Pin Fishing????????

I have been hearing a lot about Center Pin Fishing. I am curious what all the Buzz is about? It seems to me that it is just about the same tecnique as Highsticking a fly rod while drifting. Am I missing something?

I am interested as well. It seems that the center pin has no drag and is set up so that the drift actually keeps pulling line off the spool without causing the natural course of the fly in the current which I assume allows for a better presentation across a larger portion of the hole. It also appears that to reel in the line all that you do is give the reel a quick flick and it spools back up super fast.

I watched a couple vids on casting and it certainly has a different technique and would require some coordination to get good w/.

I may have to give it a shot one of these days.

Check this out, http://www.floatfishingconnection.co...pplication.htm , I've come to learn there are many more applications for center pin fishing than just dead drifting patterns. People also use them for fishing silvers, either drifting eggs, jiggs, etc. There are tons of options, I'm sure a few people will chime in, just go to youtube and watch a few videos, or go to world wide angler and pick up a copy of any center pin DVD and you'll see. You could also hit a few local shops and people there can tell you all about it.

It's just a fad, nothing to see here, move along.

You want to learn about it come by the RR Campground (Rainbow Loop sites 55-65) and join us for Fishapalooza and I'll answer all your questions and even show you how it's done with an on water demo.

I have been fishing a center pin for almost 30 years now and have learned one or two things in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    It's just a fad, nothing to see here, move along.

Couldn't agree more Dave. Centerpins are for wussies

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    I have been hearing a lot about Center Pin Fishing. I am curious what all the Buzz is about? It seems to me that it is just about the same tecnique as Highsticking a fly rod while drifting. Am I missing something?
    What if I told you that you could high stick on both sides of the river? Assuming you can cast the distance, not on the Kenai of course, but other rivers. You literally can fish both banks from one side of the river. That is largely what got me into it. On remote floats we hit the gravel bars and fish. The river dictates where we stop and fish, it is simply an access issue. On these rivers in the future, I will stop and fish both banks.

Centerpin reels and float rods are not some new "fad" as Dave jokingly suggest. After much conversation with him last year, I decided to take the plunge. Glad I did as it opens up a whole new world of fishing. Pinning has been around for about 200 years. Read up on the subject and see what you think. Got my first rod last year and it was scary effective. Got two custom rods (12.5' 6wt 4pc) being finished up anyday for this Sept. Also have Islander making a Steelheader in slate gray with optional ABEC 7 bearings and black delrin handles. I will also have my 10' 7wt flyrods, but will likely end up fishing the pinning outfit 2/3 the time. While I love flyfishing, truth is the float rod and centerpin reel is much better suited to fishing beads. Pinning is for real. Well, for folks that like catching fish. I love my flyrods, spinning rods, baitcasters, and float rods. Which tool I choose depends on the task at hand.

http://www.akflyshop.com/flyshop/ind...productID=6494

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan, Glad to hear that your bring an extra for me to try!

Anytime man.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I watched a couple vids on casting and it certainly has a different technique and would require some coordination to get good w/.

Well, not really. I got fed up with casting the float rod in SE Alaska in May. I went back to the cabin fixed myself a big liquor drink and invented something to aid in the casting of a float rod. Basically, a small stainless steel device that the line goes through, you hold it in your left hand while casting, takes all the friction off the line, and attaches to the rod at the 1st guide with a small supermagnet in between casts. It is slick as a handrail in a whorehouse. I call it the "Centerpin Slinger". Will have some pictures in Sept, didn't think to photograph it in May when I invented it and work out state. End result, my casting distance doubled and I have little/no line twist.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    It is slick as a handrail in a whorehouse.
    -Dan
    Love the quote. I'm stealing it!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Love the quote. I'm stealing it!
    Have at it, as you know I work with a bunch of women. I don't get to say whore often

Yeah, well, what can ya do?

type it

WHORE, WHORE, WHORE...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    type it

WHORE, WHORE, WHORE...
    I guess there aren't many co-workers looking over your shoulder?

That is a negative. Ha ha.. I respect women and wouldn't call them whores anyway. Figured I better police myself before one of the forum hall monitors chime in.

Well, there was that one.....nevermind

All BS aside, anyone interested in pinning should check out the World Wide Anglers website. A popular fly shop in Anchorage I am told, they also have an online store where the dvd "Center Pin Secrets" can be bought. This is a great dvd for getting into pinning, but the best part, it is specific to fishing in Alaska. It appears as if the entire dvd was filmed on the Kenai Peninsula.

http://www.akflyshop.com/flyshop/ind...productID=6494

-Dan

OK Center pinning has my interest, unfortunately I will be moose hunting for the mjority of Fishapalooza. When Moose hunting ends I return to work. I will have to check out that video, and look into a good Rod Blank for Centerpinning. Is anyone familar enough with Batson's blanks to make a recomendation?

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    OK Center pinning has my interest, unfortunately I will be moose hunting for the mjority of Fishapalooza. When Moose hunting ends I return to work. I will have to check out that video, and look into a good Rod Blank for Centerpinning. Is anyone familar enough with Batson's blanks to make a recomendation?

Kirk
    I'll be hanging around the KP from Sept 9th to Oct 8th. if you can make some time.

As for Batson blanks the 13 foot XST's are very good specifically the XST1562-3. It is a very good steelhead/rainbow/dolly blank and can hold it's own with Reds and Silvers. The two piece has a little less backbone than the 3 piece but is just over a 1/2 ounce lighter. This would make a great bow/dolly rod on streams with a little less flow than the Kenai. The two piece blanks are a bit of a pain to transport though.

All three of my rods are 12.5' Batsons. The 7/8wt is a Forecast and I have two Rainshadow RX7 6 wts being made now. The reason I choose mine is because they are all 4 piece rods, something of a rarity when it comes to float rods. Being that I fly with mine, a 4 piece rod was desired. Lots of good custom rod makers out there. K-Kustom Rods is up your way. He was busy this time of year and I found Adam at Laurel Ridge Rods. He has been very impressive to work with and the price was right.

http://www.laurelridgerods.com/

-Dan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast