Thread: Iditarod weekend

grizzeyes

Default Iditarod weekend

have a 2 nite stay March2nd & 3rd at the days inn, in Anchorage. Was going to stay again at the Sheraton, but will save a bit of money over at the days inn. gonna be me and my black lab Sarah. might be nice to meet up with a few others covered in Fur and do some drinkin in town. I'm not a drunk and hardly drink but would be nice maybe to meet up with some Duck hunters, and other's who fish & hunt. Where is a good place to go drink and give women a hard time? no pun intended!! Will be my first time getting to the festivities and really looking forward to it.

Peace thru strength,

grizzeyes

Default Iditarod

Hey grizz, I'll be up for Iditarod, I think we're in Anchorage Wed thru Friday night, then heading to Wasilla on Saturday night. Staying at the Millenium, might have time for a beer Friday night. Are you gonna check out the start on Saturday?
    Going to the banquet on Thursday night?

grizzeyes

i hadn't heard about the banquet. haven't paid much attention. how much is it? Do the mushers show up for this dinner or is it mostly fans and volunteers? After thinking about it I should drive over to Wasilla for Sunday's start. I think I would want to at least say I saw the Iditarod live at one point.

Default Iditarod

The banquet is Thursday night, and all the mushers are there, thats where they draw to determine starting position. Mushers, sponsors, fans, volunteers, Hobo Jim is there, its a pretty good time, seems like its around $65 bucks but Im not positive.

The restart in Wasilla is worth the time as well if you've got the time. I think its an awesome event, I cant wait!

grizzeyes

thanks a lot for that dinner info.

What time does it start? Also I want to take my kid there, so what time so I get there to get a spot to watch.
    Thanks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The re-start is scheduled for Sunday the 4th @ 2:00 at the Wasilla Sports Center. Whether they re-start in Wasilla or it gets moved to Willow Lake, the 2:00 re-start time is later (3 hours later?) than in years past and will put the mushers on the Yentna late enough that the traditional river spectators on snowmachines will probably head for home before the teams show up.

Does anyone know why the later start time was chosen? Maybe the media coverage is more important to the race than live spectators. Back when the re-start happened on Saturday evening after the ceremonial start some of the mushers used to stop at our bonfire parties on the river. They'd have a soda and hand out Iams food dishes and such to the kids. When he was defending the title, Joe Runyan pulled in and took a nap. He seemed to enjoy the company. Those days were more fun than what it is now.

And wherever you are during Iditarod, take a moment to remember Susan Butcher.

I beleive the main reason they start later is to even it out between the mushers. The way the weather has been in recent years, its way too warm for the dogs. So someone who draws an early start time ends up running most of the way to Skwenta in the heat of the day and those who start later get cooler temps with darkness alot sooner. THeres a few things that the mushers like because its better for the dogs. Restarting in Willow is one of them. If I spent a whole year of training and expense into Irod, I'd be p*ssed to loose a key dog because of bad trail and too many road crossings.

I see where youre coming from though, it's a cool event to see and a chance to hang out on the river with a bonfire, etc., especially for the kids. Hell, I'd like to see them do away with the Anchorage start and move it to Wasilla, then start the real race in Willow or Big lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    And wherever you are during Iditarod, take a moment to remember Susan Butcher.

I wonder if they will do something for her berfore the start of the race?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK