Thread: remote gear shift for grumman 19 with lift

Default remote gear shift for grumman 19 with lift

Do you fellas run a remote gear shift on your 19's if you are using a pvc extension handle? Its not that big of a deal but reaching back to drop it in N could cause a "hat floater". Any body rig anything? bobw

gear shift, I do not use a gear shift, as for a tiller handle I use one from the local boat shop , [Gabelars] when I started doing this stuff the Plastic pipe was not around, [I use the one that can be extended ], the gear shift ,I am not sure you need one, what I do is cut power down an turn around an shift an hold the motor down so it don't pop up, I took all that stuff off my motor, had some trouble with hold down stuff, if you think you need to shift when you beach the canoe just cut power down an let it grind on the bottom the props are cheep, you will work out the best way for your rig , there is no sheer pins in the motor, if you have one, trade it off befor it gets you in trouble,

SID

Hi Sid, you have been very helpful on questions about this boat in the past. Thanks for the reply. Currently running a six hp on it. I have a 7.5 and a 15 that I normally use for other boats. thanks. bobw

if you have a 15 HP 2 cycle OMC put it on, if you have a lift us it also, if not put a riser on the trasom of good wood on it an bring it up about 6 to 7 inches an you got a fairly good unit not as good as with a lift but good, you want the cavitation plate even with the bottom of canoe an you can go a lot of places , props are cheep,

SID

Bob get a good quality extension, they are obnly 25 bucks and preform wonderfully, seriously you will be amazed by the diferance. As to your shifting question I don't know of anyone using an extended shift lever. I too simpely throutle down, reach back and shift into neutral. I don't even take the extension off when I poilt from a sitting possition. Just play with the way you hold the tiller a bit and you'll find what works best for you.

Glad to see you posting it's great to hear of a freighter guy in the great lakes area! Got any pics from your adventures?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

There is one thing I forgot to tell you all ways work on the K.I.S.S. principle, less to break an fall apart, if you need to under stand what the K.I.S.S. is PM me an I will explane in detail,

whar Rick P said is a good way, an what work best for me was was the longer one that you can adjust an did not flex

Sid

Sid I must be stupid because I am simple! I have the lift Pete makes and it works good with my loads and the 6hp. Before duck season begins I will hang the 15 on her and let her fly for a test. I have the telescoping extension handle on her and it works good. Rick, not too many 19s around here although I see quite a few in MN. I also have a 20 grumman doubleender. I also have been looking hard at the copperhead surface drive mud motors. I wish I had some pics handy. I am going to be better about that. Bob

the 15 HP will get up an go, but on a hinting trip loaded up with gear you don't realy go that fast, in large lakes you can open it up, but on the smaller streams you can't realy go to fast, can't see where you are going can't see around the bend of the streams , but with a large load you can push up the stream with the 15 HP a lot better than a 5 HP

SID