Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 mile caribou hunt

Default 40 mile caribou hunt

Well that didn't take long.

http://www.adn.com/2010/08/27/142814...e-caribou.html

Any odds on how long before this is a draw hunt?

next year!!! they want double the herd size???? yeah, its going to a draw only for sure!!!

I did this hunt last year and my partner and I helped with the over harvest it was a total rat race and although it was expected on our part we had no idea until we joined in what it meant to be in that kind of cluster. I would not hunt this again unless it was a draw due to the hunter numbers. I literally witnessed bullets get shot over the head of a hunter from 100 yards back! A lot of the hunters had flags to wave in the air as other hunters approached to shoe them away....way to popular for the harvest goals IMO to be hunted outside of a draw.

Probably took so long because of the road closure up the Taylor Hwy....

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

The last thing we want is a draw hunt for this herd. We'll see how the hunt turns out overall and then readjust things this spring. The closure of the hunt was for the Steese side. You can bet they will be watching caribou movement much closer and try not to let the "overharvest" happen again. Once the herd passes the 50,000 mark, things will surely change.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    blah blah blah... The closure of the hunt was for the Steese side.
    Darn....kind of ruins me giving you grief....
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

According to the ADF&G recording the caribou are spread out "throughout the roadless portion of the hunt area". Every report has said the same thing. So what are they considering the roadless portion of the hunt area? Good thing I have a friend who flies up there to get the real story.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

AKHUNTERNP, are you heading up the steese? or the taylor?

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    According to the ADF&G recording the caribou are spread out "throughout the roadless portion of the hunt area". Every report has said the same thing. So what are they considering the roadless portion of the hunt area? Good thing I have a friend who flies up there to get the real story.

Zone 2 is the roadless area between the Steese and Taylor highways, mainly in the upper Salcha River and upper Goodpaster River. This is reached mostly by planes and boats.

Zone 1 covers the Steese and Zone 3 covers the Taylor.

Good Luck

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    AKHUNTERNP, are you heading up the steese? or the taylor?
    Sent you a PM
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Wish I could go but I was told by a trooper that checked me at white mountains, that I cant hunt the 40 mile herd because I was successful on the slope, I guess if I get a 40 mile bou I will exceed the yearly bag limit for that area.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Wish I could go but I was told by a trooper that checked me at white mountains, that I cant hunt the 40 mile herd because I was successful on the slope, I guess if I get a 40 mile bou I will exceed the yearly bag limit for that area.
    you've been in alaska for 40 years and you needed a trooper to tell you that!!!

No I knew it, but I never harvested a Bou prior to the 40 mile hunt until this year and I guess I never thought of it was like an oversight. So I filled out my 40 mile registration and sent it in, and now I am going scouting for moose.
    Oh the game warden had me pull out the rib and neck meat and show it to him, we actually passed each other on the Elliot and he turned around and chased me down.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    That's why this hunt is for the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    The last thing we want is a draw hunt for this herd. We'll see how the hunt turns out overall and then readjust things this spring. The closure of the hunt was for the Steese side. You can bet they will be watching caribou movement much closer and try not to let the "overharvest" happen again. Once the herd passes the 50,000 mark, things will surely change.
    Northway, I would like to here why you are against it going draw? I really know nothing about the history or politics of this herd and I am interested to here your opinion. Is it because you have issue with the drawing system or something to do with this particular herd?

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    Northway, I would like to here why you are against it going draw? I really know nothing about the history or politics of this herd and I am interested to here your opinion. Is it because you have issue with the drawing system or something to do with this particular herd?
    Just against it. There have been many people who have worked hard at restoring this herd and getting it built up to where it is and hopefully bigger. A draw was simply "not" in the plan. That is such a "limiting" hunt. There have been many people that live in this area that have spent a great amount of time and $$ to reduce predators, and to simply go "draw" just isn't something that I agree with. It may be a "part" of a solution, but not the answer.

That's why this hunt is for the wife.

Well cool thats what I figured I have to work anyhow. Good luck up there, I have been scouting moose and have been pretty impressed with what i have seen so far. Bulls, Bulls and more bulls now they will have to be there opening day. and hopefully within 30 yards

WHAT A SHAM!!!!

Got in yesterday afternoon up at Miller House to set up camp and didnt see a single caribou. Hunted all morning and everybody I talked to said they hadnt even seen a single cow. Hunted the road after that for about 4 hours and all I saw were empty trailors and disapointed hunters. Heading back to town didnt see a single rack. Seemed like everybody was leaving empty handed. Still wondering about the emergency closure. Looks to me like another typical overeaction by fish and game

Just got back myself. I only saw two dead caribou. A lot of pissed off hunters. ADF&G was on this one weren't they? The paper said they were all over the road and I have some friends who went out to dinner at Chatanika Lodge on Friday and some wildlife biologists were telling people the same thing. I think this emergency closure bull**** was to draw people away from the Taylor, either to limit traffic or to protect the herd. I went all the way to Central and not one bou. Rode the 4-wheeler pretty far out and nothing. Some people will probably blame the weather but it wasn't so bad that the bou just disappeared.

I am sure there were bou up there, Thats why they call it hunting not killing, hopefully they will reopen the hunt and give people more opportunities.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast