Thread: Hello Everyone...

Default Hello Everyone...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Wes, and I have been following this forum for a while now, but I haven't written anything yet. I am going hunting on Kodiak Island this year and I have a question: on average, how much does a brown bear hide weigh? I read on Fish & Game that it usually weighs about 100 lbs. If it can go over 100 lbs, does anyone know the maximum weight that it can go over the 100 lbs?

Thank you and happy hunting, everyone!

Wes

A really big bear will push 200lbs.

Steve

It really depends how it is skinned,if feet are taken out, and also if wet or not. Stid is right 200 is a good max and if over you have huge peices of meat hanging on it. Normal well skinned with no feet is 80-120 for a mature bear.

Quote Originally Posted by cietrzew View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Wes, and I have been following this forum for a while now, but I haven't written anything yet. I am going hunting on Kodiak Island this year and I have a question: on average, how much does a brown bear hide weigh? I read on Fish & Game that it usually weighs about 100 lbs. If it can go over 100 lbs, does anyone know the maximum weight that it can go over the 100 lbs?

Thank you and happy hunting, everyone!

Wes
    Skinned close - head out - toes cut at third joint (just back from the leading edge of the main pads) will be about 10% of the total body weight. For an eight footer about 40 pounds - for a nine, about 60 - for "pushing" 10 between 80 & 100. However, if they are wet and/or not skinned close they can weigh a BUNCH.
    Good luck on your hunt.
    Joe (Ak)

cietrzen,

Your question is a good one...and nearly impossible to answer. Here is why...

Skinned great during a beautiful day, but not fleshed?
    Skinned at 11:00PM during a rain storm, and not yet fleshed?
    Skinned, with day of fleshing completed, but not yet salted?
    Skinned, completely fleshed and salted for a day?
    Giant 10' 6" bear, or an average 8' 6" bear?

There are some forum members that have been able to weigh bear pelts and hopefully they will contribute some of their knowledge. I'll try....

Several years ago a client-hunter whacked a hugh 10' 6" bear. At the like site, in the alder brush, with that hugh head still in the pelt in addition to the paws, I could not take three steps before I would simply crush into the ground. Head out, paws out, I could carry it downhill out of the alder brush. When fleshed out the next day I could carry it three miles back to camp, but I had to stop and rest at all the good sittin spots. Two more days later after the second salting had been shaken off I could load it into a super-cub by myself without any trouble. Final weight, perhaps 80 pounds+-. But I really don't know.

Keep in mind that talking about bear size and bear weights is like talking about fish size and weights. A 12 inch trout might weigh 1 1/2 pounds. A 24 inch trout may weigh 8 pounds. As with fish, as bears get bigger, their weight exponentially increases. And a hugh, mature, fat 10 foot bear has a pelt that is simply more than twice as big and heavy as a skinny 8 foot bear.

...an imperfect answer to a good but difficult question...
    Perhaps others will have more specific information for you.

And, WELCOME, to the forum.

Dennis

Thank you,
    If I'll shoot one I wish to take it with me home. If it will weigh up to 100 Lbs I can take it with me as an extra baggage, if over 100 lbs I can not - Alaska Airlines rules. We will prepare it well and may be, who knows? Thanks again, Wes

Where are you from? There's a guy here trucking stuff out. You could also freeze it and send it as freight.

New Jersey...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Where are you from? There's a guy here trucking stuff out. You could also freeze it and send it as freight.
    Tyrex, are you talking about Mike Sheafor, A&H Inc? I received info from him and he will not take bear because of the CITIES requirements; that is what he states in his paperwork. Could he have it tanned in Alaska and then sent to New Jersey? Good luck, cietrzew. Oh, he did not go as far east as NJ.