Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WELL! she did it, daughters first Bou, big Horse Style....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default WELL! she did it, daughters first Bou, big Horse Style....

First for some reason the Forum will not allow me to upload any new pics, so i will post a link to my facebook page at the bottom with the entire trip album.

we flew out of Cantwell, 6 pm last Monday, Alex flew first and was met by The Crew of Coke Wallace at his Moody Creek camp, talk about roughing it in the worst way, bunk house, shower, cook shack, that’s okay though we paid for it dearly the next day,

7 Am Tuesday we are coffee'd, fed, and hitting the trail, the guides are all headed up with clients and Alex and are shown the way by the camp cook, and pointed up the lower Moody for our first day of hunting, there had been a few bulls in the area, and we went there first.

after a brisk 2 hour hike/ slow climb we broke out of the woods to brush line and immediately spotted our first Bulls, Two Very nice bulls sky lining on the next ridge about a mile up... we hiked the creek keeping the brush line against our out lines and made it to within 400 yards and settled in to figure out who was who, and what they were going to do..

While we watched these two bulls rub, eat, and wander back and forth we started to get a count on several cows and calves that could potentially bust us...

One Bull was considerably larger than the other and Alex decided that was going to be her first one... as we sat getting a bite to eat and fuel up on water, the bulls began to bed down and we could just see their racks over the low brush,

We gave them a bit more to get good a dozy and let some of the cows wander a bit farther away.

dropping our packs by a tree we began our stalk dropping in to a wide, deep perfect trail through the brush minutes later we were within 150 yards of her target, with on small clear patch to cover to the tree we intended to use as cover while await the bull to awake, we stepped out into it and i Immediately spotted a new cow...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

As she turned and put her white rump side to us i motioned Alex on and made the three steps across the clear patch...

SUDDENLY there are antlers rising up i front of us less than 15 yards...... FREEZE to the tundra game was on...

And Bull #3 stood up in front of us...dwarfing the other two bulls in majestic poise, we had not seen hide nor hair of him in the hour we watched, he was bedded down in the heavy brush... and suddenly the other two bulls were up...

The younger smaller bull charged down the hill to get a look at us and busted us so bad. He circled up the other two bulls in his antics and they began to wander off... They were not real spooked so we let them ease over the ridge, Alex asking me if she could take the one shot the big bull left us. At 300 yards i told her no. let them ease over the hill they are not spooked we will circle around and make a new attempt let’s just see where they go.

Moments later with the wind in our nose, we ease over the ridge behind the bulls and what???? Nothing. WTH??? There was no way... oh. WAIT! They were already topping the next ridge nearly a mile from us... guess we were busted more than we thought...

We took a moment and watched them go. And dropped back to our packs. It was only 11ish by this point so we headed further up the creek, using it as cover. I told Alex we will wander up around that next hill and glass that valley an hour or two might give them time to calm down and give a second chance...

At noon we are up there and nothing but cows. So as i glass i find a pair of sheep on the hill over to our right. Looking for more..... CRAP! There’s our three bulls... ALLLLLL the way up top

so we sat for nearly another hour watching them trying to figure out if they were high tailing it or what... sure looked like they were headed over that rock point of no return..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

But shortly later. They eased back into a bowl up above the two sheep and bedded down again... looked like they were there for the day...

Alex asked if we could get to them, and we sat looking at the hill...

Three choices... WAIT them out...
    Take the ridge on the right as the safest stalk shoot across the creek drainage 150 yards, and know we won’t get busted...

Or take the ridge behind them and ease over into the bowl with them...

Number three was our pick...
    We picked our route and executed it precisely as planned... well sorta... As we passed 37,000 feet. and i was working on my 17th heart attack... and fighting back the serious need to barf... i looked at her and told her that next time she drew this tag... i was Flying BigHorse up from sitka and he could take her...

(Last time we had to climb a bunch two...)

Onwards and upwards we went... finally we reached our rock out cropping that gave a TINY little dish of dirt for us to belly crawl and peek over the pebbles we had for cover and...

OOOOPS all three bulls are up and only 60 yards away...

As i ready Alex, she is getting her ear plugs in, trying to listen to me, load, safety in center position... ease up here with me...

As our rifle barrels came sliding over the hummock we were instantly spotted....

meet on face book here

The largest of the three bulls spun around looked at us and began to head up hill... the two smaller ones looked at us LIKE... DUDE! We left you already...

As the large bull moved safely away from the others... i told her to shoot him.... shoot now... SHOOT HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! As i watch this bull about to disappear over the rim, her rifle finally spoke. (It was VERY VERY VERY hard to watch and wait... and not do it for her)

Her first shot was a tiny bit high... just over the heart and as he began to do the Caribou dance of flight i told her to hit him again... he second shot spun him and toppled him over. And she yells he's DOWN... and jumps up... as he began to rise. I had to drop one in his shoulder to anchor him and Alex says DAD! He is down... I told her he is NOT done yet... and yet again he tried to rise...and dropped his head... Down......

I make her wait just a second... as the other two bulls vacate the bowl... and then her bull gave his last kick.... and she screams... i am yelling at her to STOP! DAMIT! STOP!!!!! As she tries to run over and catch him... as he slides down the bowl and off into the ravine below... and out of sight...

Holy crap was all i could say... let’s head down to the packs and try to get up the creek bottom to him...

The first attempt was no good the rocks in the ravine creek were much too steep and smooth for us to climb so back up the hill we go. Leaving our packs and guns at the only point we could walk to or from on this shale drainage.

Up up up and over the bull we finally get to a vantage point and can see him in the bottom... piled up, in a heap. We look at each other and Alex asked me ... He's not gonna have a rack left is he.... we don’t know...

meet on face book here

35 min later we find a point to slide down the hill into the drainage... and work our way to get her first look... and even though his neck was broken. And one rib cage busted he was whole and intact everywhere else.

We only carried our knife, TAG BAGS (never using another brand again) and a bottle of water... this was our first time with the tags... and they flat saved our bacon... literally.

Once in the drainage... there was only one way out... with shear sides of shale and mud... down was the only option...

After several pics. We set to work of quartering and caping, it took me abit this is the first critter i had ever caped. Being her first bou and a truly very nice one at that... i agreed to have it mounted for her.

Now we were in a constant slide down this hill... nothing would sit i place. everything was going downhill... we lodged the bou into a tight spot and i made short work of the fillet method once that side of the cape and hide were off... rolling him and finishing the other side 5 bags of meat and a head and cape... the rest let go and went over the edge of the first fall.. 30 yards later... it came to a rest... and we knew we were next...

Alex slid down on her bottom and caught the bags of meat i slid down to her... well... that was the plan...

One by one the meat bags made it down to her... if it caught it was up to me to catch it on the way by as there was NO going back up the shoot. With Rack and cape over my shoulders i would climb down or hold one antler as it slide down in front of me and Alex would grab it to the side so i did not land on the tines...

700 yards we did this one slide after another... as we get to the rock under our packs i check the time and our Drop Dead Hour of 6 pm has come and gone by 20 min... We had already agreed that we had a 4 hour hike out and it was dark at 10 pm and did not want to do the wooded area in the dark...

meet on face book here

So we set up to stack our meat on the moss above the rock... Alex using her last climbing strength... gets up to it and i toss her the first bag... then the second... as i reach for third and let her catch up... (Meaning i was ready to pass out) the heaven opened up in a god awful down pour... and Alex come sliding down to me out of control on that shale and muck... we tied the cape and meat bag to the rock to keep them out of the stream bed we had been fighting and Alex turned to me and said DAD! TIME TO GO! We grabbed our packs guns and headed down for food and gear to fuel up the trip home...

Surprisingly she kept up ... we took two breaks on the way out for about 10 min each. Keeping plenty of water in us... we made camp by 9:45 pm exhausted... we ate a wonderful dinner of Halibut, salmon and Scallops We had flown in with us to share with our host...

a fitful night of me dreaming of mud slides, bears, wolfs and lost meat saw 5 am come too soon... only to find that i had over worked my bad leg to the point i was now a one legged wonder headed to the privy out back...

as all the guides had come in the night before from their hunts only one was headed out that next morning so camp was slow... and we took our time waiting for the morning fog to lift... get 2 pots of coffee into me and a hand full of Aleve... we let Alex sleep.. Both her knees were swelling some... from all the exertion...

The camp Cook Lindsey had already offered to go with us to recover the meat on horseback today... but then i explained where it was and one of the younger Guides Justin offered to come with instead and so did the Rustler... Matt...

Now... Justin had gotten in the night before after packing his clients entire sheep of the mountain and riding back 15 miles... he was as done as i was...

So as the last client was set to head out... we saddled up... and began our trek back up the Valley.

The Horses made short work of the nearly 6 mile hike back up, but being trail teams, I was not sure which was worse… the climbing or the sitting…

meet on face book here

After reaching our destination once again we could see birds on the kill site and was worried about a bear on our meat... the sun was coming back out and the weather was finally turning back into our favor.

Staking the horses in the creek below we shouldered our packs and 15 minutes later were again at our cache... with all as we had left it. Winded and sore as all hell… we made the decision to get the entire bou down in one trip… with a shoulder in my pack bag, and the head and cape strapped on top... Justin and Matt each grabbed two bags each and headed down... Matt actually made good enough time to come take a bag from Justin half way back... I labored my load to the creek bottom and we set about strapping it on...

The pack out was long and arduous in its own right as the antlers would not stay in place on the pack frame due to the heavy brush and took some backwoods engineering to keep them out of the horses gut and backside. But three hours later we were back safely in camp...

meet on face book here

sounds great vince! thanks for sharing!
    Semper Fi!

Thursday, was spent cleaning the cape the best we could, pealing Velvet, and getting our gear in order, we called and scheduled a 5 pm pick up so that we would have the time needed…

One of Cokes Clients had flown in that morning with a sheep and a medium griz, from unit 13, who helped me with the final capping of the Bou, who turned out to be an outfitter from New Zealand, a very kind and generous person who showed me quite a lot about the head and antler removal… Shane Quinn of Alpine Hunting…
    So a little of how this happened… Coke is the master Guide and owner of Midnight sun Safaris out of Healy, and over the last year or so we have become friends and when he heard my daughter drew this tag… AGAIN... he invited us out to his camp.. And offered the use of his pack train to get it back.. all free of charge to us. He only asked that I bring one meal for up to 10 folks, so we packed our gear light and took a cooler full of fresh seafood with us, as well lunch makings they were running short of.

We flew out with Lance Williams, of Cantwell in his super cub, and he was a super pilot and kept Alex at ease the entire time she was in the plane with him. On our pick up he flew her into Healy air strip, after dropping me at the truck in Cantwell, to meet up with Coke and me. From there up to Cokes base of operations to show her trophy off to his office staff and down load my SD card to his computer so he would have copies of all the pics as well… Coke is truly an outstanding individual, that still hunts the old school way... does not allow flight seeing or spotting, and does not mind working the extra mile for his clients.

All in all I was and always will be her most memorable hunt and adventure.. I do not know how many times during the work on the mountain she told me “ I have never worked this hard in my life, FOR ANYTHING” all the while with a smile on her face. Never once did she complain, or lag behind. My daughter is truly one of the best hunting partners to have.

meet on face book here

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=683703ccbb here is my album on face book with all the pics...

meet on face book here

I need to add a bit about the tag bags and my PACK!

Those TAG BAGS,. Are the only reasons we have meat today. The condition of that shale, bedrock, stream bed.. Pouring down rain and everything else… Those bags held up. There is no way cotton or canvas bag would have. Though we did get a few minor tears in the bags, we were able to trim the meat a bit and clean it all up.. a canvas bag would have let tons of mud through…

Now my pack.. I purchased an Alaska range pack this year from another forum member... and it WORKED GREAT… except the reason did not take it up the hill with me to the bou was I could not climb with the top rail on it... I ended up removing it back at camp that next morning before we headed backup… that top bar landed square in the back of my head and I could not look up hill..

meet on face book here

that is some good stuff...congrats to you and Alex.

And to think you were worried before

After a workout for a Caribou like that, the kids will have to work hard to get a 'harder' hunt out of any animals ~~LOL!!~~

Graet way to make memories with the kids, hope it happens again, soon~~ ~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I love it! great job.

Thanks for posting the story and pics, Vince. Boy, that was no pushover lazy mans' 'boo hunt! Memories for a lifetime though!
    Good for Alex.

Memories that will live forever with you both. Great job Dad, great to see post like these.

Congrats to you both.

Steve

Great pictures. Great hunt. Priceless memories.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Man that is sweet! Huge congrats to both of you! She will never forget it and I am sure you won't either!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Very cool! Congrats to Alex!

Man, those top points on his left side are incredible!

hey are those photos fake cause they don't look like the calf you brought by my house......just kidding, good looking bou, even more impressive in person. Good job to you and your family.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast