Thread: Gear question

Default Gear question

Hey I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference using a regular gaiter as opposed to a gortex gaiter while fly fishing? I bought a pair about 2 years ago and they were just a standard gaiter, but it's about time to get a new pair, and I was just wondering if anyone had any expierience with the gortex gaiters. Thanks everyone!

I would say that even though gortex will be the more expensive route, it will hold up longer and help gaurd you better from getting holes in that area since it is a common spot for your hook to drift through the water and catch your leg or whatever other damage that may occure....branches, stubs sticking out of logs ect. They will be warmer too. You want better quality, its gona cost you a little bit extra or sometimes a lot more extra but in the long run its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak24 View Post
    I would say that even though gortex will be the more expensive route, it will hold up longer and help gaurd you better from getting holes in that area since it is a common spot for your hook to drift through the water and catch your leg or whatever other damage that may occure....branches, stubs sticking out of logs ect. They will be warmer too. You want better quality, its gona cost you a little bit extra or sometimes a lot more extra but in the long run its worth it.
    agreed, my waders have a built in gator on them but its really light weight material. I got all wrapped up in some dacron that some jackhole put an ESL on and it got all tangled and hooked through them. Heck I've even hooked myself not watching where my hook is in the water walking around. Worth the extra protection and warmth for sure.

Waders or gaiters?? Wondering what you do with gaiters flyfishing. By chance are you asking about waders?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm assuming he was asking about the sand/rock guards that are attached to most waders that slip down over your boots......I could be wrong though!

Only reason I see for a gaitor is to keep out gravel and sand. No need for gortex, when you have to add a draw string or elastic to do the design to get the job done. Kinda frivilous, but really stylish I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jakemosterio View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference using a regular gaiter as opposed to a gortex gaiter while fly fishing? I bought a pair about 2 years ago and they were just a standard gaiter, but it's about time to get a new pair, and I was just wondering if anyone had any expierience with the gortex gaiters. Thanks everyone!
    Jake: Are you talking about gaiters or waders? The only "gaiters" I've ever seen for fishing were short neoprene items that prevented gravel from getting into your boots and they are not made with Gortex. I THINK your question is about BREATHABLE waders and YES they are great.

If you want to open up a large debate, ask about opinions on who makes the best breathable wader....

L

His link is to a page of gaitors at some online store. I see he's a first time poster. Hopefully we're not wasting our time here on a troll advertiser.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    His link is to a page of gaitors at some online store. I see he's a first time poster. Hopefully we're not wasting our time here on a troll advertiser.
    "Should" be good but hard to say. He has a USA IP address from an area that would make this a probable topic of interest.

yeah, yeah big brother is watching yadda yadda...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Jake: Are you talking about gaiters or waders? The only "gaiters" I've ever seen for fishing were short neoprene items that prevented gravel from getting into your boots and they are not made with Gortex. I THINK your question is about BREATHABLE waders and YES they are great.

If you want to open up a large debate, ask about opinions on who makes the best breathable wader....

L
    ?....look at the link he has. Im pretty sure he was asking about Gaiters and the $55 pair is two-layer gore-tex.

Also, i would say that those are not made for fishing but for other outdoor activities. Heavier warmer and to keep snow out of your boots or something like that. Im sure if you really wanted to though, you could use them for fishing. Depending on what type of "waders" you have though you might allready have gore-tex layered waders from the knee down. More expensive but worth it. Some also come with the gaiter part attached that you can just hook to your boots.