Thread: Trout stream near Palmer?

Default Trout stream near Palmer?

Hi, I'm heading to the fair this weekend and was wondering where there is a good stream near Palmer that I can throw some flies at trout for a bit? I'll have my wife with me, so I don't think I'll have much time to be hunting for streams, or hiking anywhere to get to them.

Thanks in advance. Dan

There are trout in the kepler/bradley lakes area. Not much for trout in streams there.

I haven't tried it myself, but folks have told me there are decent trout near the mouth of Moose creek where it flows in to the Matanuska (a short walk from the parking lot).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I haven't tried it myself, but folks have told me there are decent trout near the mouth of Moose creek where it flows in to the Matanuska (a short walk from the parking lot).
    Silvers and Chums in there right now as well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I really think the Palmer (matanuska) side is to steep for good trout populations. The Su side of the valley has a lot more habitat because the valley is so much wider. Also less glacial silt in the creeks and rivers over there. I have caught dollys in the Knik but never with any consistency.

Thanks for the info fellas. Unfortunately the fishing gear stayed in the trunk (still there too...). Had to bring some extra bodies back from the fair, so i wasn't able to make any time for kepler and/or moose creek. I really appreciate the feedback.