Thread: New Herring "fly"

Default New Herring "fly"

This is prototype #3. With the generous criticisms and suggestions from a bunch of you guys with a lot more experience than me at saltwater coho fishing, I made some modifications to #1.

First, I added the stinger hook which seemed to be the most common suggestion to #1 that was remarked on. I first tried a loop, but did not like the way the hook flopped around. With the tube setup tied to the rear of the main 5/0 - 1/16oz weighted hook, the stinger stays hidden and aligned with the herring body. Plus, it can be rotated either up or down.

Second, I have encased the feathered fly body in a metallic webbed tube. I then coated the casing with clear silicone. When the silicone was dry, I trimmed to shape the rear and top, allowing the dorsal and tail feathers to be exposed. When I did a lot of experimental casting in my pool yesterday, the feathers have a real nice eye-catching action.

I am also thinking that a scented paste like Smelly Jelly smeared on the outer casing, which has somewhat of a texture might also add another advantage.

And, finally, the fly action I can only describe as perfectly mimicking a bait fish that a salmon has just smashed. When retrieved at a fairly constant speed, the "fly" swims in an undulating pattern. When it is allowed to free fall straight down with line tension, it spirals just like a wounded bait fish. I am anxious to water test this 1/16oz versus the 1/8oz. My guess is that it will be better suited for down rig trolling. But I think either weight will work well when jigged near a school of bait fish with salmon feeding on them.

Now, I realize the "fly" I am showing some of you guys may better call a lure. That's okay by me. Any further criticisms or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking! P8270033.jpgP8270034.jpg

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That is a nice looking fly, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. This version looks to be much hardier than the first, but I wonder how it will hold up after a couple coho's have their way with it. Get out there and use it, let us know how it goes.

I honestly do not know what to expect with durability of this fly. The silicone coating on the woven/spun casing ends up being difficult to trim with scissors. My best guess is that it will be as tough if not tougher than a regular fly. I will, after my return from fishing on September 15 let you know how things went.

Smooth looking fly!! Nice job. Can't wait to here how it does.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Wow! Terrific looking fly. Very realistic.

As luck would have it, the first spiny dogfish that see's it will take it with him........