Thread: canoe on the yukon

Default canoe on the yukon

Would a canoe/scanoe be a useful tool to take along with us on our Yukon hunt, I was thinking it would work good for going up sloughs/creeks that the big boat cant make it up. I haven't been on the Yukon before so I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Anyone take a canoe with them before?

If you have room and can the carry the weight it can be very beneficial - I wish I had room for one this year.

Where are you headed? Im pretty familiar with from the bridge down to Hess creek. What kind of boat are you going in?

pm sent ga2akwild

It has been the reason I have shot moose in areas we wouldn't be able to get in to without a canoe or small sport boat. You don't need a big outboard to move it along either. Have done it with a 15hp and also a 2hp. Won't go without one.

Is there spots you can put in with a 18-20' scanoe with an 8hp and foat a 100 miles or more and have a pick up point with out a plain? I've never been out there, would like to float hunt it sometime but would prefloat it first in the summer. What class water is it? Not looking for anyone's secret back slough just drop and pick points.

thanks

The Yukon can get really nasty and scary if the wind starts blowing hard. Other than that it's not bad at all. I wouldn't float hunt it though. You'd be better off floating to a good looking area, pitching camp and hunting just off the river.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

That would work easily. I did a stretch of the Yukon river in a 19' Grumman with a 9.5 hp Johnson. Appologies for the poor quality (scanned) pics

This setup even worked going upriver, although s l o w ly...(grin)

The whole stretch of the Yukon, from Eagle to Emo has sloughs, small cricks, side rivers, and swampy meadows along it's length. Plenty of spots to paddle a canoe or get out and walk. A good map and GPS can lead a guy in a small boat/canoe to likely moose spots that only guys who get out of the boat can hunt.
    Pick a spot and ask questions on this forum. Likely someone on here has been there or knows about the area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I've been playing on Google Earth and Map Quest and I cant seem to find two villages/cities on the Yukon River in AK that are with in 150 miles of each other for a float trip that doesn't involve a plain. Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I've been playing on Google Earth and Map Quest and I cant seem to find two villages/cities on the Yukon River in AK that are with in 150 miles of each other for a float trip that doesn't involve a plain. Any ideas???
    The Yukon just isn't a float hunt style of area. Sure, moose do cross the river and you might get a crack at one early, early in the morning and late, late in the evening. But if you are anywhere near a village, all the natives will be thinking the same thing. And they'll be buzzing up and down that river non stop....
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

if you do take one tie it to the side or in the boat dont tow it we did that this year and it was sketchy i have no idea how we didnt lose it with 4ft of nose hop it got a little better with 60gal of gas in it but i wont do it again.

Teacherman, I traveled almost a 1000 miles on the Yukon last fall during moose season and saw only one moose. Even if you killed a moose you would have a difficult time getting your canoe in a plane even, a (plain plane). Some of the river corridor is not general harvest anyway.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-06-2011 at 09:49.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Not wanting to completely hyjack this thread but thanks guys! I've just been looking for a float that I can take my dad on. Hunting from a canoe or at least within a 1/2 mile of the boat is very doable for him. He was a comercial diver in the Gulf many years ago and was in an accident that destroyed his back and its never been the same. I guess I'm also wanting to stay close to the boat as well because I'm the one packing the entire animal. Thanks again for the info, I'm not afraid to put the miles on my jeep getting to a spot. If anyone has an idea of a float that would last around 5 days that would be great. I say 5 days because I can hunt for up to 9.

thanks again, sorry about the hyjacking

Teacherman,

Pick up a copy of the owner of this sites book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild River" by Michael Strahan, that is a great reference and will give you a few ideas. 5 days will be a very short time and if you both plan on taking a moose that would be one heck of a load for a canoe. He also often gives seminars at the local sports shows, would be worth your time.

Wish you the best of luck and applaud any teacher willing to even touch a firearm. Floating hunting can be a challenge and I'm not sure you may fully realize everything that it might entail.

Good Luck

Steve
    Founding Member

Default You don't need an outboard to go upstream with a canoe!

Lining isn't all that difficult and is a great way to go up many of the tributaries of the Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Teacherman,

Pick up a copy of the owner of this sites book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild River" by Michael Strahan, that is a great reference and will give you a few ideas. 5 days will be a very short time and if you both plan on taking a moose that would be one heck of a load for a canoe. He also often gives seminars at the local sports shows, would be worth your time.

Wish you the best of luck and applaud any teacher willing to even touch a firearm. Floating hunting can be a challenge and I'm not sure you may fully realize everything that it might entail.

Good Luck

Steve
    I have grown up in a canoe. I was only thinking one moose or a couple bous depending on the area. When I said 5 days of floating I also said 9 days. This gives me a couple for travel and a couple extra for just being in good area on the river. I wish I could hunt more than 9 days a season but that dries up my vacation for the year. As for knowing what I'm getting into I would say I have floated over a 1,000 miles of river between WA, ID, and MT in my life. I'm just new to this state is why I'm looking for good float rivers. I hunted the Tyone last year with my Alumaweld but I'm wanting to get a little more remote this year. My current canoe is a Colman 17' and I'm looking for a 18'-21' Scanoe so I can put my 8hp Merc on it as well. Thank you for the name of that book, thats exactly the information I'm looking for.

I have grown up in a canoe. I was only thinking one moose or a couple bous depending on the area. When I said 5 days of floating I also said 9 days. This gives me a couple for travel and a couple extra for just being in good area on the river. I wish I could hunt more than 9 days a season but that dries up my vacation for the year. As for knowing what I'm getting into I would say I have floated over a 1,000 miles of river between WA, ID, and MT in my life. I'm just new to this state is why I'm looking for good float rivers. I hunted the Tyone last year with my Alumaweld but I'm wanting to get a little more remote this year. My current canoe is a Colman 17' and I'm looking for a 18'-21' Scanoe so I can put my 8hp Merc on it as well. Thank you for the name of that book, thats exactly the information I'm looking for.
    Teacherman, I apologize, it sounds like you are more experienced with canoes than I am. I have done 5 moose float hunts in my raft but have only moose hunted once out of a 19 Grumman with a 9.9hp on it. We only had 2 of us and gear and it seemed to be near capacity. I say that because every time a jet boat came by we were almost swamped.

I only cautioned you because of that experience and the fact that I rescued some soldiers last fall that had unturned their overloaded canoe on the upper Chena River.

Again, Iím sorry I had no idea canoes are capable of carrying that much weight in swift water. I know that my 21ft Jet boat will only get 1650lbs on step and it was unable to haul out 3 hunters and one moose the first year I was here. Even my Levitator raft that has a 3000lb capacity was extremely hard to control when loaded with one moose, a caribou, 2 hunters and camp.

It has been my experience that hunters, even experienced hunted new to Alaska often under estimate what their final weight will be.

2 Hunters avg 200 lbs with hunting clothes. 200each 400

Camping gear, packs, stove food ect 200lbs 200

One Bull Moose, with meat, cape and horns, 600lbs + 600

Two Caribou meat and horns. 240lbs + 240

10 hp engine 80lb + 80

Fuel @ 7.5lbs per gal plus the tank, will vary depending on how much you bring.

That works out to be around 1520 lbs without the fuel and tank. I mean no disrespect and only want you and your Father to have a hunt of a life time and not your last hunt.

Then you have the volume of the load, all that weight has to be loaded into a small area and you donít want the meat in the floor in the mud and water. Get the weight too high and the canoe could roll over. I only know what my 18ft raft is like with a full load.

It would be a bad deal to figure our 2 days into a remote float that you donít have a way to haul your gear and meat out. Everyone I know that hunts with a canoe uses them to ferry loads back and forth or to haul gear and meat to other means of transport.

Iím sure those with more canoe experience will chime in and provide more information.

I wish you and your father the best hunt ever.

Be safe and come home to teach the little ones Sir.

Steve
    Founding Member

I like how you put the caone on your jet boat. I could put it like that on my 17' alumaweld to get it back in farther and create a base camp. The main reason that I'm looking for a 21' scanoe is load capacity. I guess I really should look into a raft, but that is an area I have no experience.

thanks