Thread: Multi-Day Long Range Trip

Lightbulb Multi-Day Long Range Trip

Some good friends and I are looking to do a 3 day 2 night charter next summer. Living in Fairbanks means I have a hefty commute to get my 7-10 trips in a year, so I think this next year I am going to do one big trip. Who am I kidding... I know I will be down in the SC for at least 5 or 6 days on the water not including this big one!

If you were to book this kind of trip, who would you go with, out of what harbor and what month of the summer? In this decision making process, consider the cost of the charter (May/early June will be cheaper than Mid July in any harbor) weather, personalities of the captain and crew, species of fish available to catch, size of boat, and last but not least... number of people going with you.

I hope to hear from both captains and clients. And captains, if you want to PM me on this...feel free!

Thanks
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

If I was going to book a trip like this it would be with capt. Andy with crackerjack charters out of Seward. He routinely brings in good hauls. I would go after July 1st because you can catch lings with a chance of silvers. He has one of the nicest boats in the harbor. As for prices I don't know that but I know it's on his website.

Ken

I will second the previous comment with Capt. Andy. Pro-Fish-n-Sea with Capt. Steve would be another suggestion. Not sure he does overnight trips but worth checking into.

You might try an overnight deal with Capt. Mike Swan out of Homer in June. He'll take you down to Shuyak Island area or over towards Augastine Island. They only keep fish over 80#. June has much better weather than July. Mike is a great guy and he DEF. knows where big fish are. Real nice boat too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I might be wrong about this, I dont have the regs in front of me, but aren't you allowed to have only 4 halibut in possesion (2 days worth)? If so, a 3 day trip would only get you 2 days worth of fish, if this is the case a 2 day trip would be the only way to go. Again, I may be wrong.

My choice would be out of Whittier, probably around early August. Whittier is more protected than Seward for overnights, you dont have to go to the Gulf to catch fish, but can get to the gulf if the weather cooperates and the boat has the range. Lings are legal after July 1, Silvers and Kings should be around that time of year too. So, you would be looking at a per person multi day catch and possession of 4 lings, 3 silvers, 3 other salmon (total of 6 salmon), 4 halibut, up to 10 rockfish, maybe even salmon shark and I would try to find a vessel that has the ability to shrimp. There is no time that will have better weather, it is all hit or miss, especially when trying to plan a year ahead. I believe if the vessel has the ability to freeze the fish on board, you can re start your limits and keep more fish.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I might be wrong about this, I dont have the regs in front of me, but aren't you allowed to have only 4 halibut in possesion (2 days worth)? If so, a 3 day trip would only get you 2 days worth of fish, if this is the case a 2 day trip would be the only way to go. Again, I may be wrong.
    Correct: Regs

Need to have a way to freeze the fish on board

AKArcher

Default More research on the the possesion issue...

Processing or having processed fish on a halibut catching vessel (private/charter)Can't be done.

Attached is the IPHC 2010 Sport Regs

Bullet #28 covers Alaska limit and possession2010sportregs.pdf.

AKArcher

I have never had on overnight trip where there was any need to keep more that 4 halibut per fishermen. Ususally we end up bringing back close to 1000 pounds of filleted fish per trip. That seems to be more than enough for 5 or 6 fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I have never had on overnight trip where there was any need to keep more that 4 halibut per fishermen. Ususally we end up bringing back close to 1000 pounds of filleted fish per trip. That seems to be more than enough for 5 or 6 fishermen.
    I guess all I am saying is, why pay for three nights on the boat, when you can pay for only 2 nights and bring home the same amount of fish. The only advantage would be, you could be more picky with which fish you kept.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    The only advantage would be, you could be more picky with which fish you kept.
    Some people like to go leisurely and some people like to go wide open. There's more to the water than just dropping a line. I'm sure there are many here that would give a lot for a three day trip on the water. Could be the trip of a lifetime for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Some people like to go leisurely and some people like to go wide open. There's more to the water than just dropping a line. I'm sure there are many here that would give a lot for a three day trip on the water. Could be the trip of a lifetime for some.
    Thats exactly why 3 days if great!

Capt... clean out your Inbox man!

AKArcher

Just did it, thanks!!

PM is in your Box

AKArcher