Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Rifle/Caliber/Scope...Answer Found???

Default 1 Rifle/Caliber/Scope...Answer Found???

Hello,

First time to this sight and trust me, I'm already hooked. I am sure to become a regular guest.

I have hunted with numerous calibers, rifles, and scopes and have found many suffice, but what about that 1 setup that allows all others to be left in the safe. Well I think to my mind, I may be pretty close with this most recent setup. The requirements are 1 rifle/caliber/scope combo to hunt any huntable game of the world save the Dangerous six of Africa. (Laws and Caliber restrictions)

For me, it is my Remington 700, stainless synthetic, in .300 RUM with a Schmidt Bender Summit 2.5-10x40.

The Remington is a proven, dependable, accurate rifle that in a stainless Trynite finish well stand up to the elements. The 300 RUM shoots fast flat and gives you a 150 grain load for sheep, deer, size game a 180 for just about anything save bear and moose, and a 200 grain A Frame at 3075 FPS for the biggest of Bear and Moose. Lastly the Schmidt Bender to my mind is the best 1" scope made and provides the optics, repeatablilty, durability, and magnification range all one would need.

Im sure many will disagree for me, but for now and the forseeable future this will be the setup I use.

Well, If you enroll anyone else; I have a new in the box Win. M-70 in .300 RUM for sale. I agree it is a awesome cartridge.

No need to limit yourself to just one rifle. Isnt that why they make safes? But if you found the combo you like go for it.
    Tennessee

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's easy to get excited about ANY gun you own.

What's so great about the 300 RUM?

Isn't it badly OVERBORE?

If I wanted the Ultimate in 30 Cal. I'd go with the 300 Weatherby in a Mk V. Better cartridge, better rifle, NO???

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hard to call it the best when it costs SOOOOO much to shoot it!! I like my 325WSM, 2900+ FPS out of a 200accubond. Not calling it the best but it works for me. Hard to beat an a 30-06 or 300 win mag for .308 cal rifles. Ammo cheap enough to allow for ample range time on the average budget. I would to have a S&B rifle scope, but their "summit" series still weighs a TON (at least as far as scopes go) and the cost is outrageous! My ideal rifle if I could only have one would be a 300wsm kimber montana with a Swaro 3-9 on it. However I can have more than one so I have rifles on both sides of that with no need for a "do it all" gun.

The important thing is you are happy with it!

Lets look at it again in fifty years
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Its a lot of fun to look at the "1-gun" concept and I find it interesting to think about and read what others have used- O'Connor used a .270 with 4x scope to kill about anything on this continent. The old timers were generally one gun hunters by circumstance if not by choice- Frank Glaser was unusual among early hunters in that he was a gun nut and owned dozens of rifles. In more modern times guys like Herb Klein and Elgin Gates hunted the world with little other than the .300 Weatherby. As a "one gun" a fast thirty is hard to beat.

While I think the whole "one gun" concept is pretty interesting I don't think its very practical when you consider the vast differences in Alaska game and their environments.

I kinda liken it to playing an entire game of golf with a single 5 iron- you can do it- but it won't be fun.

I like the ballistics but desire a shorter barrel for an all arounder. I personally find 26 inchers a little unwieldy.

I also really like the 300 um. Its a great cartridge for hunting. Not much fun at the bench. I use a Swaro Z6 1.7-10 on mine. This is the most veratile setup I have.

Good choice of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Lets look at it again in fifty years
    Exactly.

Name the caliber that has withstood the test of time as well as the '06. An '06 with a straight 4x scope was my only gun for many years, and still my favorite. I'm not into the latest, greatest super-duper ultra short magnum. I generally think that the old tried and true calibers have proven themselves and deserve a spot in my gun cabinet. I did bend my own rules a couple years ago, though, and bought a more recently developed one. I think the 270 Win. shows some promise and may not be just another fad.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    Exactly.

Name the caliber that has withstood the test of time as well as the '06. An '06 with a straight 4x scope was my only gun for many years, and still my favorite. I'm not into the latest, greatest super-duper ultra short magnum. I generally think that the old tried and true calibers have proven themselves and deserve a spot in my gun cabinet. I did bend my own rules a couple years ago, though, and bought a more recently developed one. I think the 270 Win. shows some promise and may not be just another fad.
    The 300 um was introduced in 1999. 11 years ago. I wouldn't describe it as the latest and greatest. I think its pretty safe to say it will be around for a long time to come.

There is still some need for every round invented includeing muzzel loaders. Number of folks still realy useing it and amount of sales is what counts. Haveing 11 years in tells me in 125 more years it will catch up to the 45/70 or 45colt if they die today
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

1 gun??? For crying out loud what if the wives get wind of it!

I would have to say if I had just one rifle, it would be my cooper 338-06. I can load anywhere from 160 barnes to 250 paritions. As far as scope I really like the VX-3 in a 2.5 to 8 for this rifle. If I was in the lower 48 I would change that caliber to a 280 in a cooper rifle.

To each their own, the louder or the more it costs doesn't make it a do it all rifle. The rifles my family has still get the job done, and you can never settle on just one for all around use. Each caliber has its own purpose, learn to shoot them properly and shot placement is a must. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I couldn't bring it down to one rifle, but I did make a list of the guns that I would need to cover most hunting.

I was thinking the other day about how many guns does a person need. It got me thinking about what I think I really need to hunt with and have fun with. This is the list that I came up with. This would be the bear bones that I could live with. This is up for debate, like I said this is what I think I could live with. Donít go telling my wife though

338-06 in a cooper rifle, for bigger game with a Leopold VX-3 2.5X8X36 and talley rings

Light weight 280, for deer size game and my mountain rifle with a Leopold VX-3 2.5X8X36 or 3.5X10X40 with talley rings, I just prefer lower power scopes with my rifles.

22-250 for varmint hunting, I really like my 22-250, with a 4X12 Leopold.
    Ruger 10-22 stainless, I think one of the best 22 auto loading rifles with a straight 4 or 3 power Leopold

Ruger single six, a great reliable, and mine is accurate 22 pistol
    Glock 23 for my Concealed carry purposes

Remington 870 12 gauge, with 10 million sold you canít go wrong.

Savage model 99 in a 300 savage. This is the first high power rifle I had and it was given to me by my grandfather. I had to include this for sentimental value.

I know that Cooper rifles where under the microscope, but they are the best shooting rifle that I have shot and can afford. For the money I donít think that you can go wrong with a Leopold VX-3.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I couldn't bring it down to one rifle, but I did make a list of the guns that I would need to cover most hunting.

I was thinking the other day about how many guns does a person need. It got me thinking about what I think I really need to hunt with and have fun with. This is the list that I came up with. This would be the bear bones that I could live with. This is up for debate, like I said this is what I think I could live with. Donít go telling my wife though

338-06 in a cooper rifle, for bigger game with a Leopold VX-3 2.5X8X36 and talley rings

Light weight 280, for deer size game and my mountain rifle with a Leopold VX-3 2.5X8X36 or 3.5X10X40 with talley rings, I just prefer lower power scopes with my rifles.

22-250 for varmint hunting, I really like my 22-250, with a 4X12 Leopold.
    Ruger 10-22 stainless, I think one of the best 22 auto loading rifles with a straight 4 or 3 power Leopold

Ruger single six, a great reliable, and mine is accurate 22 pistol
    Glock 23 for my Concealed carry purposes

Remington 870 12 gauge, with 10 million sold you canít go wrong.

Savage model 99 in a 300 savage. This is the first high power rifle I had and it was given to me by my grandfather. I had to include this for sentimental value.

I know that Cooper rifles where under the microscope, but they are the best shooting rifle that I have shot and can afford. For the money I donít think that you can go wrong with a Leopold VX-3.
    Swapdonkey, I like your list, except I like the 300 win mag over the 338-06, if nothing more than availability of ammo. All the rest are great and I also started with a 300 Savage in model 99. I bought it but will pass it on to my grandson to start a tradition. Nice list and thanks for bringing back memories.

Welcome to the forum. If what you got is what you want and it works then great. Lot's of guys on this forum with lots of field and shooting time under their belts. About the only thing most of us all agree on is putting a good bullet in the right place on the first shot. I am old school when it comes to hunting rifles. I like the older Mod. 70 Winchester rifles in 30-06, .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win. Mag., .375 H&H for bolt guns and the 45-70. I have some other stuff but since 1965 I have only used the 30-06, .300 and .338, with the .338 being my favorite. I could live forever with any of them in Alaska or most any where. If I hunted in the states I would probably go smaller. As for scopes on rifles, I like small, light weight scopes with good optics and good eye relief, so I use Leupold's and nothing over 2.5 x 8. I am to slow in the head to have a fancy reticle in my rifle scopes. I mainly hunt moose and caribou so all this works very well for me. I do not think driving bullets at high velocity for big bears is a good idea unless one plans on taking 200 + yard shots most of the time, which ain't a good idea no matter what your using.

Hey, that's one of my two guns! I had a Browning Stainless Stalker in .30-06 re-chambered and re-barreled for the 338-06. What a gun! Accurate, pleasant to shoot and powerful. Drops deer back east here like popping a balloon! I also have a Leupold VarX III topping it and I shoot 200, 210, 225 and 250's, mostly Nosler AccuBonds and Partitions. My other gun is a 7-08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast