Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go for Halibut in September and with who???

Question Where to go for Halibut in September and with who???

I just returned from my 7th deployment to Iraq and the first chance I can get on the water is 23 September. My wife and I want to go halibut/mixed bag fishing on 23 September. Our staging place will be Anchorage. We are willing to drive wherever to get on the water.

Should we go to Seward or Homer? Or someplace else?

We are looking for a whole day charter.

Have you fished with a charter In September, who, and what was the result?

Any recommendations?

I am not interested in being parked over a chicken hole and told the first two halibut caught are what we keep and then head back to shore. I have caught many chickens on my own. I understand that the fish have a say in what we reel up. We want the opportunity from a professional that knows where to go.

Thank you in advance for your help. Rod

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    I just returned from my 7th deployment to Iraq and the first chance I can get on the water is 23 September. My wife and I want to go halibut/mixed bag fishing on 23 September. Our staging place will be Anchorage. We are willing to drive wherever to get on the water.

Should we go to Seward or Homer? Or someplace else?

We are looking for a whole day charter.

Have you fished with a charter In September, who, and what was the result?

Any recommendations?

I am not interested in being parked over a chicken hole and told the first two halibut caught are what we keep and then head back to shore. I have caught many chickens on my own. I understand that the fish have a say in what we reel up. We want the opportunity from a professional that knows where to go.

Thank you in advance for your help. Rod
    I think your biggest issue is getting more than just you and your wife to go on that day. Try The Fish House in Seward. I know they run trips thru September.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I think your biggest issue is getting more than just you and your wife to go on that day. Try The Fish House in Seward. I know they run trips thru September.
    You know what amazes me? This is the second thread where someone is asking for help and not a single person that posted one of the 20 or 30 posts on a couple of other recent threads has been a lick of help.

There are a number of outfits here in Homer that will do combos for you. There are still halibut around, possibly some silvers and always "feeder" kings. Try shooting Jim Lavrakas at Skookum Charters an email (www.akskookumcharters.com), and/or look around and you'll find some others.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

When you and your wife want to get out next year drop me a line and I'll take you out at no cost, thanks for your service!

I would say the same thing, 7 deployments in Iraq, you earned a fishing trip for your service, if you want a shot at some larger halibut, I would be happy to take you out as my guest in May, June or July when we tend to catch bigger fish. During the time you want to fish, you will probably get a single species trip and more than likely you will catch chickens. It it at the end of the season and halibut are moving offshore by then.

With that said, Jimmy at the Fish House in Seward will do his best for you and he fishes until the last person in Alaska wants to catch halibut.

I went out with Captain Pete out of Homer in mid-September a couple of years ago and had a great day fishing. Largest 'but on the boat was over 100lbs, but it wasn't mine.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Still some excellent Halibut fishing out of Homer, calling around should product a charter Muttley's right on. I will go out of Whittier in September my self but there is not the Halibut there that Homer has. I will catch some Silvers, Rock Fish, Lingcod & Halibut, but my fav to eat will be the Greenling's. Any chance you can go the 18th weekend?
    Oh and yes The Fishouse in Seward is good or maybe Valdez could be excellent fun.
    Good Luck
    And Thank you for your Service to this Great Nation, Freedom is not Free

Just as a point of information, I just looked up Sept. 23, 2009 in my fishing journal and last year that day my buddy and I caught 4 halibut in the 20 to 25 lb. range about 10 miles from the end of the Spit and then a 14 lb. king off The Bluffs. If you're interested in catching "barn doors" you may have some difficulty, but there are always halibut around out in K-Bay and the surrounding waters. And my favorites are feeder kings.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default Thank you all

Thank you much for all of your input.

BigBrown767 & AKCAPT; I appreciate the offers to take us fishing next year. I will see what Uncle Sam has to say about my schedule next year.

It sounds like Homer will give us the best odds of catching bigger halibut. I understand the odds are lower due to migrating fish.

I have not fished out of Homer before. Are the odds as good for some rockfish and lings then also?

I already told my wife to expect: Gut wrenching rough water, rain, cold, and small fish. She still wants to go. I love my wife. She is up for some bad weather to have some great fish tacos and fish frys.

Call 260-5362 and tell the gal that answers you want a combo trip. They are the owners of Piscatorial Pursuits. Bob was out of Homer with his charter friend a few days ago and caught some big lings. Bob and my daughter are done fishing for the year, but they might be able to find something. They are my family but I am not trying to drum up business for them. They would be the first to tell you to go out with AKCAPT from Crackerjack or Steve Zernia from ProFishin Sea. I have fished with Steve and a friend was with AKCAPT on July 1 this year. They do it for a living and are fish catching guys. I am sure their are others if you can find them. Thanks for your service.

AFHunter, check out the military lodge in Seward for lodging open to all military. Great place and very reasonable. Google seward military resort. My son I stayed there for a week in August. I do not recommend fishing with the boats out of the lodge if you're looking for big fish although the boats are first class, the price is great and they always limit out. We fished two days with Profish-n-sea (partner to Crackerjack) and did fantastic both days - too much fish to bring it all home without paying a fortune.

AFHunter - Please accept my heartfelt thank you for your service to your country. I can't help you with your charter search but if you ever have a future opportunity to visit the Juneau area I would honored to take you out for a few days of productive saltwater fishing. Best of luck in September!

AFHunter. As has been said here Thank you for serving and allowing me to be able to fish like a mad man. I have a drift boat and would be honored to fish your and your wife on the upper kenai someday. All Rods, reels flies, beads provided. Just bring your waders and beverages and snacks. I am not a guide just a nutty fisherman.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Would you consider the Gustavus - Glacier Bay area? The weather is just as bad as anywhere else, with occasional snow in September, but the water is flat there, and the fish usually run big in September. The limit is 1 fish per person, but the average fish is 70# to 100#. Last year on a bare boat charter 4 of us caught 5 fish between 50# and 80#, and one we released that taped out to 196#. We did that during one tide; the local charters certainly did better; a lot of local knowledge is required to fish that area, and I only get to visit a few days a year.

BIg_E

vaaler.... Last year on a bare boat charter. What charter was that? Thanks.

I have been bare boat chartering for several years with Nordic Tug Charters (www.nordictugcharters.com) in Juneau. I have been chartering one of their 37's. They are heavy, comfortable boats and are set up with downriggers, GPS, and good fishfinder.

Big_E

Default Success...Thanks to you all

Thank you very much for all of your help. Sorry it took so long for me to answer your replies. I did not have internet access for the last month. My wife used the knowledge you all posted here to book the trip while I was guiding hunters.

P9230077.jpgP9230080.jpg No one was running out of Homer on Sep 23rd. The only place that was running, out of Seward, was a charter booked through the Fishhouse.

I was limited out in 20 minutes with a couple 50 pounders. The whole boat limited out in a couple hours. My wife landed a huge skate that was in the 150 pound class. We were all hoping it was a large halibut. The Capt said he thought it was a skate by the way the fish was coming up.

The water was calm with a nice sunny blue sky. Our expectations were exceeded by our Capt, Justin, on the boat "Just in time."

I also met two fellow forum members on the boat. I am sure those guys will post there success of an awesome successful hunt they had the did, all DIY from the lower 48.

Congrats and some nice fish there. You're sure going to enjoy eating them. Thanks for your service. You deserved the good luck and good weather for sure.

Holy cow AFHunter! Looks like I'd better re-tool my plan and nix Homer and do a Seward charter. Thats a tassel of butt!
    Last edited by fullbush; 09-28-2010 at 19:44. Reason: not to be confused w/ a butt tassel

Nice catch!

I'll +1 Capt. Justin. Wife and I went out with him a couple of summers ago and easily limited on silvers, I got an almost 50 lb. feeder king, and a few halibut and rock fish thrown in. It was a great trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast