Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distance from Diver to flasher to lure?

Default Distance from Diver to flasher to lure?

Having a brain F---.

Whatís the recommended distance from diver (deep6) to flasher, and distance from flasher to lure?
    Iím thinking 18Ē to 24Ēs for both but thinking thatís a little short. Been using one of those plastic flashers that are bent over in opposite direction at either end. Also, does it matter what end of the flasher goes to the lure or does it matter?

Setup is for Salmon, Silvers mostly, trolling PWS.

Thanks,

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I use downriggers, not divers. But, my typical rig when using flasher is a leader that's say 3 or 4 feet behind the flasher. The flashers I use are fat end towards the respective bait.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Ok, guess I need longer leaders to the lure. Downriggers are in the budget next year, a whole new learning curve
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Diver to flasher= 2-4 feet, flasher to lure 18"-24". 3 feet is a safe distance between the diver and flasher. I was using about 3 and a half feet between diver and flasher in Valdez a couple of weeks ago and it was working very well. I had the speed on my gps stay at 2.9 and that was perfect. Any more questions send me a pm. Good luck!
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Ok, guess I need longer leaders to the lure. Downriggers are in the budget next year, a whole new learning curve
    Downriggers easy to use. If you can afford the electronic ones I'd spend the extra dough. Man they are nice.

I'm sure you can catch just as many fish with leader half the size, its just what I've always used.

I start my leaders from flasher to lure (depending on the lure action) at about 38"s and cut it down during the day to make more action during the bright light times. Diver to flasher you can do anything over 24"s without messing up the flasher.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

For me it depends on whether I'm using flashers or dodgers, and what I put behind them.

Generally with flashers I run them 24" behind the diver, and I run dodgers 48" behind the diver. I run leaders 3-4' long behind flashers most of the time, but I keep leaders 2- 2.5x the length of the dodger. The theory is to pin down the nose of the flasher so it spins more and has a higher rate of vibration, while the longer leader lets the dodger move more, even as the shorter leader behind "whips" herring or hoochies a little more. Sometimes dodgers work better than flashers, and sometimes the reverse is true.

BTW- Beforehand I make up a bunch of 24", 36" and 48" leaders with corkscrew swivels at each end. It's a breeze to change back and forth and experiment. Not so if you have to tie them all the time on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For me it depends on whether I'm using flashers or dodgers, and what I put behind them.

BTW- Beforehand I make up a bunch of 24", 36" and 48" leaders with corkscrew swivels at each end. It's a breeze to change back and forth and experiment. Not so if you have to tie them all the time on the water.
    Like that idea, I'm not usually that organized but getting better at it.

What pound test leader to use; I seem to break 30lb mono quite often either at the boat or sometimes strike breaks. It's a drag when you don't land a fish because the leader breaks; rapping around the prop doesnít help. My buddy told me itís because I donít spit on the knot before cinching down, and that failure too do so creates heat in the knot thus weakening the line; another rookie lesson learned.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I`ve learned to use 40# or bigger...they just tear stuff up. Check the full length after every fish and do make 10-12 leaders in advance...sure helps when the fishing gets busy. I also use the same leaders for jigging when into rockfish or lings.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I use 80lb braid. Works great and does not break.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

I know a lot of people diagree with this but I like to keep my rig short making is easier to land fish on a small boat, so i started cliping my flasher od doger straight to my diver then a 2-3 foot leader to my hootchie. I have fished both ways but the catch rate seems the same and less tangles to remove after landing a fish.

Always put about 30" of line between diver and flasher then another 30" to lure. Worked great !

What pound test leader to use; I seem to break 30lb mono quite often either at the boat or sometimes strike breaks. It's a drag when you don't land a fish because the leader breaks; rapping around the prop doesnít help. My buddy told me itís because I donít spit on the knot before cinching down, and that failure too do so creates heat in the knot thus weakening the line; another rookie lesson learned.
    I don't mess around. I'm using 80# P-Line for kings and 50# P-Line for silvers, even if I'm only using 30-40# on a reel. I'm also using uni-knots, and yeah. Spit on them before tightening.

4 feet of 50lb fluorocarbon, use floro because its almost invisibile in the water and fairly abrasion resistant

I've got 50lb pline I've used too but its a little limp, I prefer stiffer leaders to help prevent snarls.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I don't use anything but Seaguar 30 lb. fluorocarbon for leaders---kings and silvers (and the occasional halibut). I have experimented with many, many different leader materials and I haven't found anything better. I generally go anywhere from 24" to 48" back from my flasher, but I have found that worrying about the exact length is essentially worrying too much.

And if you're getting "strike breaks" on 30 lb. test with silvers (and most kings) you are tying your knots wrong or using the wrong equipment. I can't remember the last time I had a salmon break a 30 lb. test leader on a strike. Something is wrong there if that's happening.

When you can afford downriggers buy them. You will be glad you did. Divers and planers just add that much more drag when you're fighting a fish and also create an extra possibility of losing a nice fish---with the two extra knots you have to put into your "system" there are just two more places for things to go wrong.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    4 feet of 50lb fluorocarbon, use floro because its almost invisibile in the water and fairly abrasion resistant

I've got 50lb pline I've used too but its a little limp, I prefer stiffer leaders to help prevent snarls.
    Maast---you do realize P-line makes a whole variety of lines don't you? Saying that the P-line you have used is "a little limp" is a pretty broad statement. P-line makes limp lines, stiff lines and everything in between. Have you tried them all? I like their CXX lines, but haven't had a chance to try their fluorocarbon or fluorocarbon leader. I like their lines, but am kind of stuck on the Seaguar fluoro leader.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

All this scientific rhetoric and my own penchant for lazyness caused me to try something new this year. Well, new to me. Think about this. No one would dispute the value of "additional" attraction when your pulling bait but at the relatively shallow depth's (under30) feet most divers run, how important is it. It's sure a pain keeping all that stuff working thru short strikes, jelly's etc. Well, sometimes lazyness proves to be a blessing. I'd read of just using a mooching leader (full length) tied behind the diver with a spinner blade as the only Extra. Any good Alaskan has $200 worth of spin and glows in his box so I improvised! Smallish spin and glow, 5 ft or so of 40 lb with a pair of gami's at the end, top hook up thru chin out top of red lable heering, bottom hook just dangling. One afternoon in Seward we caught 1/2 dozen fish on this set up, never missed a take down either. On following days when things would slow using all the "conventional" gear we'd go back to the simple rig and start catching fish again. Is this going to hold true all the time, I don't think so but on them days you want to shirk your responsibilities and be lazy, try it for your self. With D-riggers the conventional gear will shine but you get a nice dose of flash and vibration from some spin and glows and it's a heck of a lot easier rig to work with.
    Mike

P-Line Original Copolymer in the oversized 100 yard spools is just right for my diverse leader needs.

I run 30lb on everything for salmon. (leaders/main line)

And yes, friction is the #1 cause of breaks. You really weaken that line when it heats up when you are tightening it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast