Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nushagak: largest run of kings in the world?

Default Nushagak: largest run of kings in the world?

I'm curious about the assertion that the Nushagak has the largest run of king salmon in the world. I've read this in various places several times this year, especially in light of the horrible returns. In looking at the historical escapement numbers, however, it doesn't even come close to Columbia R. in Oregon, or even the Fraser or Sacramento Rivers. For example, here are returns from Bonneville Dam on the Columbia over the past decade:

Year Dam ChinookAdult ChinookJack
    2009 BON 480152 218841
    2008 BON 518809 68480
    2007 BON 274321 83054
    2006 BON 493136 32812
    2005 BON 570303 29998
    2004 BON 845717 60247
    2003 BON 917154 75344
    2002 BON 870803 54649
    2001 BON 867933 103398
    2000 BON 401733 90195

I couldn't find a year when the Nushagak ever broke 200K, much less 1million kings that have escaped above Bonneville in recent years (and many more that migrated up tribs between the ocean and Bonneville).

Anyway, please straighten me out of if I'm missing something here.

Well I don't know who told you what, but the Nushagak is one of the better rivers in Alaska to go king fishing. From looking up the numbers it seems normal is around 100,000 fish. (Just Eye balling the AK F&G site)

Not the world just AK. The big draw is that it has lots of fish and isn't crazy crowded thanks to it's remoteness. I sure would like to fish it one day!!

Lujon, it would be worth the trip. I got to fish it twice by trading fishing with a guide there for carpentry work at his house. A whole lotta fun!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Well I don't know who told you what, but the Nushagak is one of the better rivers in Alaska to go king fishing. From looking up the numbers it seems normal is around 100,000 fish. (Just Eye balling the AK F&G site)
    Well, here are a few articles/websites boasting that the Nushagak has the largest run of kings. I just did a quick google search and came up with these, so it's a prevalent inaccuracy. I suspect some lodges starting making the claim on their websites which lead to second-rate journalists assuming it was true without checking facts. Again, I agree the river is awesome and the run is huge, but it's nowhere near the largest run in the world.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...For-Kings.html
    Where To Find Kings

Most major rivers throughout Alaska have king runs. Some of the more popular rivers are the Alagnak, Naknek, Karluk, and Kanektok. Two of the most prodigious rivers are the Kenai and Nushagak. Some of these rivers, like the Kanektok, are very swing friendly while others, like the Kenai, due to it heavy fishing pressure, fast current and milky water, make taking a king on the fly more challenging. Then there is the Nushagak, a giant river with the largest run of kings in the world. Large, long runs with slow to medium flow coupled with huge numbers of salmon make the Nushagak an awesome river for swinging flies.

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/alaska/b2300/index.html
    Nushagak River Fishing lodge located in the Salmon capital of the world 7 miles below the village of Ekwok, on the Nushagak river in the heart of Bristol Bay.

The Nushagak river boasts the largest King Salmon run in the World!

http://www.choggiung.com/land/nushagak.asp
    In a spectacular display of nature, the worlds largest run of King Salmon return yearly to the Nushagak River, attracting anglers from around the world.

You hit the nail on the head with this remark : "second-rate journalists!"

Explains things easily enough.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

I was on the Nushagak just last week on assignment for Brad Giroux of www.KatmaiTrophyLodge.com. It was my first time in that region and on that river. Though out of season and not planned, I was in the boat when the father of Brad's partner hooked a 45 lb. king and battled it for 55 minutes. The boat's guide did a masterful job of "motor boat ballet" in bringing this fish to the net and then the release. For the father, it was the fish of a lifetime. For me, it was the observation of an assignment. For the guide, it was just another typical day on the Nush.

I do not know what is the best river in the world or Alaska for kings. All I know is that I witnessed someone being served up the memory of a lifetime.

$2,950 per person for 5 days and 5 nights and you only need to show up. Top shelf accomodations and food. Bears right out the door. No nickel diming; everything furnished and I mean everything right down to Bill the Guide who was without a doubt the most pecuilar and productive "gilly" I've ever seen! Gilly is Scottish slang for a guide, and I also fished with that father and son team from across the pond as they wailed the living daylights out of keep five limit silvers...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    $2,950 per person for 5 days and 5 nights and you only need to show up.

Rosenberg/Florida
    Six grand for the wife and me for five days, let me run that by her
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

[QUOTE=okisutch;795003]

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...For-Kings.html

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/alaska/b2300/index.html

http://www.choggiung.com/land/nushagak.asp

FlimFlam Artists, Hyperbole Purveyors and Downright Liars
    Consumer Beware of those that want to SELL you something. Kings ain't the only thing these guys will take you to the cleaners on.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Man, let me tell you... that river was downright fishing heaven before the guides and camps showed up. Another piece of Alaska lost to $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Six grand for the wife and me for five days, let me run that by her
    While I am not exactly ROTFLMAO over the price it is significant for an Alaskan. I can see paying that if I came up from the states on a once in a lifetime fishing trip. To put it in perspective with my group of 4 that I went to Kodiak hunting with last year. We could repeat our trip 3 times and have less than that amount invested each!! Sure not everyone knows how to do that, and it takes a bunch of research but if you play your cards right some pretty amazing adventures can be had for reasonable money!

For six grand I better catch a lot of fish, and (insert the name of who you think is a good looking woman) better clean them while she's naked and standing on her head.

I mean come on, six grand?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Wow. I commercial fished out there for years and never thought the king fishing was that great for commercial or sport. When we bullshat with the sport guides at the port or airport seems like neither of us consistently did well--at least for kings.

In '07 I remember bullshatting with a guide at the port who was rolling three or four 20' sleds w/200 Merc. tillers (which I didn't know they made 200hp tillers ) and he said it was their worst year ever for king fishing as their biggest king was only 18lbs. In nearly a decade of fishing out there we only had 2 or 3 "great" king years, the rest were marginal. When prices tanked, we began letting the bright chrome kings go, if we didn't keep them to eat. From my experience I'm surprised at the boasts and bold claims of worlds biggest king run etc... Just my .02.

Tim

Journalists - in a recent class I took which had several Journalists on a panel I was reminded that they are "Craftsmen" and are not in a profession. Or said another way they are in the business of selling stories or even news. Some will disagree with this comment but it is not mine.

Perhaps a professional would ensure there was research to back the news or stories.

I don't know what planet B. Rosenberg was on but the Nushagak river in Alaska has been closed to King fishing sense 7/6/2010. Thats the day I left the river. I arrived on 6/29 and kept a 30# adult and one jack, that night Fish & Game came to our camp and informed us the as of midnight the river was closed for bait and retention. On the evening of 7/5 they came by and informed us the the river was closed to all fishing targeting Kings. Most of the lodges shut down after that. So that made it a $3000 fish. Some where there are 100.000 Kings missing from this years run. I have been going to AK fishing for 12 years and this was the worst trip ever.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

My error.
    I saw the king caught on the Naknek, and that was after the king fishery was closed.
    I was on the Nushagak as well; it was flooded and the fishing was for silvers.

I'm am well aware the Nush was EO by ADF&G to be closed to kings. I got thrown in the thread by the multi-syllable river names that start with N. I also had the hell blown out of me the 8 days I was there and covering two properties. I'm not perfect and I make mistakes, but I try my best to be informative and helpful. My apologies. I live on the same planet as the rest of you.

Either river, Nush or Nak, offer tremendous adventure via www.FishTheNush.com or www.KatmaiTrophyLodge.com. if you want it in style and comfort...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Bernard, aren't you one of those writers who try to sell stuff?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Good one Phish!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Bernard, aren't you one of those writers who try to sell stuff?
    He's the "Alaskan author" who lives in Florida (still trying to figure that one out).

$3000? We used to do it in a day or overnight for less than $30 gas in a Lund skiff. We used snow banks for throwing the kings into. No cushy camps, just a wall tent, and camp fire on a sand bar. DamQuicks or Mitchells on Wright and McGill spinning rods throwing eggs or Flatfish were the order of the day. Kinda like I hear the Kenai was in the old days . No one else around for miles except an occasional villager going to or coming from Dillingham. You haven't lived until you've eaten roasted fresh Nushagak king over an alder fire with a bunch of friends. Screw the caviar and champagne.

The Nush has one of the largest runs of WILD kings, and since most of them spawn in the mainstem, it is a pretty large population.

The Columbia runs are mostly hatchery fish, and most of the fish over Bonneville are destined for tributary hatcheries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast