Thread: How come I never hear anybody mention Eaglek Bay to the north?

Default How come I never hear anybody mention Eaglek Bay to the north?

I was looking through the charts planning the next trip and it occured to me that I never hear anybody say anything about Eaglek Bay (the next big bay eastward from esther passage), is there something wrong with it? Full of yucky glacial water? How's the fishing? Any neat bottom or visible structure? How about moorages? For that matter, nobody ever mentions sawmill bay either.

I even looked up the bay in the "Cruising Guide" but even that wasnt all that informative, and didnt mention fishing at all.

It looks pretty good on the chart, worth a look at least. All those little islands and rocks near the mouth look like prime bottom fish territory.

Everybody (including me) seems to get out of passage canal, and eather go straight east, or turn south down towards , cochran, culross or perry.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-27-2010 at 15:25. Reason: added link
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Eaglek

I stop in there sometimes on my way around the sound. Cascade falls is back in there. I see quite a few boats overnighting in the bay. It is very nice and fairly well protected.

Cascade Bay is one of the most scenic anchorages around IMO. We spent labor day weekend there last year. I cannot say much about the fishing in the area. I don't seem to fish as often as I used to. Having a five and seven year old changes the daily routine on the boat. Lots of "shore parties" and berry picking nowadays. It is all good!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Nothing to see around Eaglek, please leave immediatly!

I've never had much luck shrimping in there, but I do like to hunt sea otters there.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I’ve talked with some old timers who use to fish there, said the halibut fishing was fantastic and rock fish galore…would be nice to go back in time. The falls, the bays, the hiking is great, and the shrimp are big but lower numbers than I’ve got elsewhere; been a couple of years since we ventured there. Perhaps a re-visit is in order.

A nice hike is from the end of the bay over to Siwash bay off Unakwik, or from the other direction, we’ve done both.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check it out next weekend.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Might be a good place to be this weekend looking at the weather. We’re staying in town after a mid week sightseeing tour & berry picking trip Wednesday, which was by far the most beautiful day I’ve seen on the sound all summer; glad I was able to play hooky from work. Talked with a couple of guys at the ramp coming in who indicated the fishing was pour, like in really bad. Perhaps the drizzly and clouds really do make for better fishing but man was it a spectacular day for cruising around.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Jay----Just look out for the charted rock just inside the bay. We drifted some butts up from there and caught silvers there as well. The silvers were right up against the rocks in large schools(this was a couple of years ago).

Mouth of the Bay, out side and to the East (hope I'm right) out maybe a mile in very deep water is a pinicale that sticks up to 20 or 30 foot. Not a huge spot but if you can find it the fishing is great. Been a while so did out the ol chart, Has to be newest one and watch GPS chart. I had it marked on my hand held a few years ago, but lost it!

Cascade is the place if you or someone on board want to see a waterfall and has the best holding bottom in the sound. Last time I was there my nose pitched way down when setting the anchor, and then when I pulled it the next day I knew why. There was over a foot of gray mud on the anchor when it came up. Shrimping in this general area is good as well, at least earlier in the season.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Cascade is the place if you or someone on board want to see a waterfall and has the best holding bottom in the sound. Last time I was there my nose pitched way down when setting the anchor, and then when I pulled it the next day I knew why. There was over a foot of gray mud on the anchor when it came up. Shrimping in this general area is good as well, at least earlier in the season.

Jim, is this where we stayed this spring?
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Jim, is this where we stayed this spring?
    Brad,

That was Siwash Bay, which is up into Unikwik Inlet, which is the next inlet over from Eaglek. We were about 8 miles NE (in a direct line) from where Maast is talking about.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded