Thread: Big Su, cook inlet and beyond

Default Big Su, cook inlet and beyond

Just got back from a 4 day hunt, ran the Big Su too salt, neat seeing seals from the HB!!! Wanted to head up the yentna, but failed to find the mouth some how??? Motored up half a dozen clear water creeks before I stoped exploring and hunted the following 3 days. Tons of bears! No moose, think next time I'll take the distance gun and get the wife the rug she's been bugging me for.

The HB is amazing!!! I took more gear on this hunt than any other I have been on and still had lots of room. She needs very little water and I can run up creeks narrower than my 6'4" frame! In one case a beaver dam finnaly stoped me, I couldn't get enough of the boat over it to "rock over".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Unfortunately my hunt partner had to bow out but I managed to enjoy myself.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default questions

where did you put in ? Anchorage ? or at the landing , what size an type of motor did you run an how much gas did you take did you buy gas at Gabbers or did you have suffent ?
    an what type of bears did you see black , Brown an did you come out at the same place you launched
    PS what size HB did you run ??

SID

Sid Answers.
    I put in at Deshka landing. I run a 20 hourse Tohatsu 4 stroke, it dose slightly better than a gallon an hour, thank all that is good! I have a 12 gallon tank, there was about 2 gallons in it when I got back to deshka landing! A back up tank is a must. Saw black bears, lots of black bears but there is no lack of browns back there, pleanty of tracks to confirm that. My scott Hudson bay is 21 foot long and has a 54 inch beam, it is rated for 2000 pounds cary capacity. I had a few hundred, plus my big butt, on board for this run.

Looking at the map it would be shorter to run up from Anchorage, if it was timed right it would be an interesting run. I really enjoyed motoring the big su, lots of beautiful country, game and exploring opertunities. The big Su also changes dramaticaly and quickly as water levels fluctuate. My first run was like motoring down the missisippi, big wide river with tons of water to spare.......last week. This week the charictor was totally diferent. Much smaller more challanging river, several of the clear water tribs I did last week were gone this trip.
    BHA Member

Very Cool RickP.

I would not go from Anchorage as the mud flats could be a big problem even with a rig like yours, the tide could be a problem an there has been a lot of large boats that has spent a few nights at the moulh because of the wind out of turnagain, you have go out into Cook inlet, quite a way to miss the mud ,there is no short way across the flats, you dont want to get stuck on them on a decressing tide

SID

I wouldn't run over from anchorage either Sid, for the reasons you mentioned and more.

Thanks Sayak, I'm really digging the boat and all it has opened up for me.
    BHA Member

Perhaps I missed it in an earlier thread. Do you have a lift? Looks like a great setup. Any more pics?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Actually I dont. What I do is leave the transom unlocked, in the rare ocasion I hit bottom the motor rises over the object and I throtle down! OK maybe it's a bit more abrupt than that but not much. It has worked well for me so far. The thing is I like to take my freighter out in big water. Higher motor means less stable in waves due to higher center of gravity. Besides with the motor locked in the "low water setting" I can move along at a good pace in water that is only inches deep. I have lots of pics of the boat and the Big Su, which did you want to see?
    BHA Member

I am not sure of your comment about A lift it would realy help on rivers an streams, you could run the a lot more rivers, the problem is there is not one for the real large canoes like yours it stops at the 19 ft Gumman, I think, there are a few people that want one, an I think it will happen some time in the next couple of years, but not right now, the FAMILY MAN on this site is working on getting one for his large canoe

SID

Family man and I have talked about one. He has been in contact with the gentelman in fairbanks that makes them. We all have our own ways of doing things right now my method works well for me and from itty bitty beaver pounds to the little su to the knick and the big Su I havent yet been unable to go anywhere I wanted. Im not a marine engineer, I have built lots of strip boats and in my experiance when you modify a design for a specific use it improves the proformance within that use, often marjonally. However over all preformance always takes a hit. Why buy a swiss army knife and break off half it's blades? The folks at scott canoes put a great deal of reasurch into there freighters, when I am on the arctic ocean I think there reasurch and years of experiance will mean more than how she preforms in 6 inches of water.

(Please excusse any spelling errors, thanks.)
    BHA Member

Great setup Rick! (jealous!) It would be really nice to have a rig so easy to handle that will carry a good load and require very little water. Post more pics!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Rick, That's a real fine setup you have. Thanks for sharing. Be sure to wrap that thing in blankets if you decide to drive it to the Arctic Ocean. I have those big mud flaps and still sand blasted the paint right off a trailer and the plastic off the wiring driving up to Deadhorse one year. I'd be bad news on gelcoat. Each time you post about that canoe I kick myself in tail for buying my big honkin jet boat. Do you think a 9.9 hp would push 120 pound 17' canoe up the Sue and Yetna if a fella had the time?

Hey Rick, that sounds like a really cool trip! That sounds like a good setup to run up the Yukon! I made that trip in '08 and have been chomping at the bit to get back up there ever since! Just have to find a setup to make it happen!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Boud'arc

9.9 might be a bit big for a 17 footer? I'd have to say not only would it do that run but you'd be flying! We should run out that way and try for an archery harvest some time. We can take my boat.

Cory
    I have a pop up with just about all the tin stripped off the front of it from driving the haul road. I keep replacing lights and light gels only to do it all again before our next trip. We actually budget repairs to the trailer into our trip budget. I will not be trailering my baby up that road! The motor and some of the deck gear is coming off, she gets wraped in blankets and canvas then rides atop my truck on a rack. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two to set her back up at one of the landings before setting out for Nuiqsut. Trcay is planing on taking about 6 weeks off for this hunt and we are both looking forward to seeing our freinds Isaac, Elaine and Isaac junior.
    BHA Member

Where's Mr Black? 4929004338_dee001faed_b.jpg
    BHA Member

Gunther and the freighter.4844582003_380816b251_b.jpg
    BHA Member

Rick,
    so much enjoy what you are doing with the boat.
    Its great..
    Keep up with the memories in pic and pen..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks Max that means alot coming from you. Tracy and I are trying to get away for a Homer run, be great to dropby for a visit on our way. She has someone out on maternity leave right now so it might be a few weeks but we are hopping to bring the freighter and explore a bit.

Tracy and I are planning a day hunt out on the big Su/Deshka area tomarow, she's the real shutter bug maybe I'll have some more pics for you guys.
    BHA Member