Thread: 72 hrs and counting...........

Default 72 hrs and counting...........

6:20pm on Saturday my hunting buddy and I board Alaska Airlines out of Orlando to meet up with Mike McCrary at the complete opposite corner of this great country. This being our first DIY trip to Alaska, we've covered our packing list many times, packed, repacked, read Hunt Alaska Now, solicited, and received, advice from many on this board, it's go time!

This trip is a drop hunt for Caribou, maybe next time a raft hunt for Caribou and or Moose.

Thanks gang for all of the advice, Saturday can't come soon enough.

Mike is good people and the area is awe inspiring. Look forward to your hunt report and photos.

Good luck and good weather to you.

Steve

Won't be long now Jeff! I'm heading up on Saturday as well, spend a couple days in Anchorage with family and picking up food and gear, and then out to Tok on Tuesday to chase caribou, and maybe a wolf or black bear if we're lucky. I can't wait!

Best of luck on your hunt, I'll look forward to the details after you get home.

Michael

Good luck to you make sure and post pics when you return and enjoy our state its a beautiful place but be careful and stay safe out there it can be just as deadly..I too head out next week for my yearly trip north where caribou and moose are plenty and haunt my dreams for 11 months of the year. As soon as I get freezer meat I am going to kill a big griz

Tony, that's a HOG of a moose in your avatar, I sure hope the story is on here somewhere with more pics? I'd love to read about that one! I shot a nice one out of Tok in 2006, but it was nowhere near the size of that monster of yours!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Good luck to you make sure and post pics when you return and enjoy our state its a beautiful place but be careful and stay safe out there it can be just as deadly..I too head out next week for my yearly trip north where caribou and moose are plenty and haunt my dreams for 11 months of the year. As soon as I get freezer meat I am going to kill a big griz
    Positive thinking, that's what I'm talking about..
    Good luck to you Mr Tony.

Steve

May God grant you safety, success and good weather.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Good Luck Buck N Group! Man, The anticipation we as hunters feel in the final days before our hunts is almost magical isn't it! I feel sorry for the folks that never had the urge!
    Most non hunters think its just about the actual hunt - for most of us its a year long dream with the hunt being only a short part of the whole process!
    Shoot Straight!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm jealous. I've only been back a couple of weeks and I'm ready to go again. I assume you are driving? The visitor center in Coldfoot is worth a stop as well as the truck stop on the other side of the road for a good meal (especially the dinner buffet). On your return trip you can get a shower in Coldfoot. Best $14 either my wife or I spent. Made the trip home more pleasant.

Have a great hunt and may the weather gods be with ya.

Yes, the anticipation is killing me, too. I wake up about 2 o'clock in the morning every night, thinking about every little detail. I leave in six days on the 3300 mile drive. Camping each night as we drive through Canada, got a room for a night at Young's in Tok, and then hopefully fly out sometime on the 6th. Good luck to everyone else on their hunts, have great time and be safe.

Mike (mdhunter), what is your itenerairy? Sure would like to meet up with you in Tok, if our schedules cross.

Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Mike (mdhunter), what is your itenerairy? Sure would like to meet up with you in Tok, if our schedules cross.

Knute
    Hey Knute,

We're flying into the field (weather permitting as always) on the 1st and flying out on the 9th, so it looks like I'll miss you...I'll check with Vanessa and Dick when we get back into Tok, to see if you guys have flown out already.

Good luck man, all the waiting is over now! The best time of year, hands down.

Michael

Michael,
    Sorry we will miss each other, maybe next time. Good luck, be safe, and may the hunting spirits be by your side. Look forward to your report. Knute

Thank you to all of the well wishers. The hunt is incredible, but the planning, waiting, etc. is such a huge part of our hunting experience that non-hunters will never understand. Down to 27 hrs, and it's go time! Good luck to all you that will also be in the field this fall. Hope to make it back up there for peninsula bear next fall.