Thread: what year this boat is and any info on glasstrons and what to look out for

Default what year this boat is and any info on glasstrons and what to look out for

i wanna buy and fix this boat looking for insight and opinions on a project boatglasstron.jpgwhat year am I....?

Guessing 70's....trying looking on the motor may get you a little closer to year.

Transom rot would be a worse case scenerio which was real common as most thru hull screws/bolts allowed water in and then it would not properly dry and lead to rot and a weak transom. Next would be floor rot and the big problem there is that many times the floor was glassed into the sidewalls of the boat. The other issue would be any stringers under the floor, back to statement above and then getting them redone and glassed back in.

Sage advise from Dupont.

Glad to offer any advise - PM me if questions. (been in the boat repair business 20years+).

- Jay

well the guy says it has steering and shifter issues?The guy could not tell me what year or any info other than that...smelled like a jug of yukon jack lol. Anyhow i really like the boat and am expecting to do some work on it but wanna idea of what im getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    well the guy says it has steering and shifter issues?The guy could not tell me what year or any info other than that...smelled like a jug of yukon jack lol. Anyhow i really like the boat and am expecting to do some work on it but wanna idea of what im getting into.
    Well a steering issue could be cable or motor problem. Shifter issue could be a cable problem or frozen carbs.

If it's cheap under $500 and the motor runs......you can make some of your money back on the motor and trailer if the boat is to far gone to repair.

Look for rot around where the motor is mounted or the rear hooks go thru the transom. Also look around the drain hole and if it has a bilge pump where the thru transom drains might be at. Try using an awl or small thin punch to push from the inside. Don't let the owner see it as he will have a fit seeing you trying to punch holes in his boat. If the wood behind the glass is good it will not push thru and will not see any deflection in fiberglass. If it seems spongey or soft it might be better to pass. Transoms can be repaired but you need to be able to do the wood/glass work.

For the floors look around the seats especially. Use your foot and put pressure on different parts of the floor, it should be solid or have very little deflection. Also check near the back where the fuel tanks sit.

As far as stringer are concerned this is the hard one......the only one you may be able to check is going to be the one at the very back, also should not be soft or spongey. The ones forward under the floor, you could try pushing on the bottom of the boat about half way between the outer edge of the hull and the center keel looking for deflection.

I have done a couple of boats thru the years and I also have seen a couple of others eventually make their way to the landfill. My best advice is to remember that any major type hull repair is not just a weekend job.

I think that if you can find the hull ID then the last two numbers will be the year the boat was built.