Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Shoot a Moose This Far From The Road

Smile Don't Shoot a Moose This Far From The Road

Went on a solo hunt the first day of rifle season, thinking I was pretty much just taking my gun for a walk. However, I spotted a couple legal, if small, bulls and knocked down a forked horn a couple hours after dawn.

Good for me. Only bad news is that I was 2+ miles from my truck.

So to tally it up, this moose season I spent less than 2 hours hunting and about 16 hours processing and packing meat! I figure I hiked about 25 miles total, half of that with a big chunk of meat on my back.

Never been that tired in my life, but I got all the meat out and will have a full freezer this winter.

I'm a big guy, and I can pack some weight, but I will be eternally greatful that this was a pretty small moose in the grand scheme of things and not some 1600lb bruiser. I'm fairly proud of myself, but for all the newbie moose hunters: do yourself a favor and listen when people tell you not to drop one too far from transportation. Or at least bring along a few friends!

Well done, sir - both with the sage advice and with doing what it took to get that meat out of the woods and taken care of. I've packed caribou 10+ miles solo, but have yet to pack a moose more than a few hundred yards. I might do something foolish later this fall, though. I've got a spot that holds a number of unpressured moose that I might hunt late in the season, but the kicker is that it is 3 miles from the nearest road in a non-motorized area. The trail is hard, though, so I figure 3 miles of trail is about the same as 1 mile of muskeg. Tempting...

Congrats Yanbu, and good advice learned the hard way , btw, 2 miles would be considered a "reasonable" distance by alot of folks to pack a moose...in good terrain anyway..

Brian, I look at it a little differently....1 mile of swamp packing = 3 miles of hard ground (relative to knee pain)..IOW, swamp packing is more of a workout, but hard ground is really hard on the knees and back.. to each his own misery...

Thanks all.

dkwarthog: Well, pushing the edge of reasonable maybe. I'll think twice next time if I'm by myself, thats for sure. Not to mention being a little paranoid about Mr. Grizz the whole time I was quartering it.

Congrats on a successful hunt and good job taking care of it on your own!!

Yea, if you have an imagination like mine, you were envisioning yourself as a piece of raw meat with legs to a bears eyes...like the old bugs bunny cartoons, lol

Congrats again.. everything becomes less "reasonable" when your doing it solo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The trail is hard, though, so I figure 3 miles of trail is about the same as 1 mile of muskeg. Tempting...
    keep tellin' yerself that....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    keep tellin' yerself that....
    Well, since you and your brother are going to be my sherpas, I figure it won't be too bad. Just keep checking your e-mail for a SPOT "help" message in late September. Bring your pack.

Oh ya, you did very good, and worked for that meat.

Often, I move the camp to the kill.
    This allows me to take my time and hang, freeze or dry up the meat and hides so I can keep on hunting, without any spoilage.

Then I make my loads to the boat or home, whichever.... Its alot easier that way, for me.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Well done, sir - both with the sage advice and with doing what it took to get that meat out of the woods and taken care of. I've packed caribou 10+ miles solo, but have yet to pack a moose more than a few hundred yards. I might do something foolish later this fall, though. I've got a spot that holds a number of unpressured moose that I might hunt late in the season, but the kicker is that it is 3 miles from the nearest road in a non-motorized area. The trail is hard, though, so I figure 3 miles of trail is about the same as 1 mile of muskeg. Tempting...

Don't you have a Mtn. bike with a trailer? Is the trail not rideable? I have a 29er with a bob and willing to pack, even if on foot. Given I am not in Eklutna still chasing my sheep. SPOT me too, the more the marrier and I keep secrets and obey!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Often, I move the camp to the kill.
    This allows me to take my time and hang, freeze or dry up the meat and hides so I can keep on hunting, without any spoilage.
    Stranger,
    With a family of your size, seems to me it would be easier to just move the kin. Shoot they could eat a forkhorn at one setting.

OP,
    Good job.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'll give ya a hand Brian.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Stranger,
    With a family of your size, seems to me it would be easier to just move the kin. Shoot they could eat a forkhorn at one setting.

OP,
    Good job.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Nice job on a solo moose. I have told myself the same thing many times; however, as time passes I seem to forget the pain while just remembering how much I enjoyed everything else. It is a vicious cycle.

We also need some pics!

Well, since you and your brother are going to be my sherpas, I figure it won't be too bad. Just keep checking your e-mail for a SPOT "help" message in late September. Bring your pack.
    Will do......

Congrats. It's amazing how big a moose can get after its shot!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I think a very good rule of thumb is one mile per packer and even that is quite a haul!

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEAK49 View Post
    I think a very good rule of thumb is one mile per packer and even that is quite a haul!

You cannot shoot a moose too close to the truck, atv, or skiff IMO!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm with SIS on this one...I asked my first huntin' partner "I wonder how the ancients used to do it?" & he didn't know...then I remembered that the Ancients weren't static dwellers as they are today, but nomadic, where they shot the kill, the set up camp & ate...

+1 SIS if I could...

Takes several years to learn where to drop a moose.
    With a year in-between each kill, we forget the amount of work involved.
    After:
    10 years, stop hunting swampy muskeg areas.
    15 years, only hunt up hill.
    20 years, access to 4-wheeler or call them in close to camp.
    25 years, bring young guys & brag on them how much weight they can carry.

30 years, be camp cook, only shoot in camp, let the young guys leave camp, if you can't drive to it, hand the young guys a skillet & salt shaker, & tell him to "eat it where it is" (wisdom) LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast