Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My rant about newbie hunters to Alaska

Default My rant about newbie hunters to Alaska

I know I was new to hunting Alaska two years ago yes grew up hunting in Oregon, anyhow I went with a friend who was just as new but we learned with some help, I'm by no means a expert but I know what I need to bring to be somewhat successful or at least have fun and not try to hurt/kill myslef in the process. I'm all about helping other folks out and taking them hunting but man this past 2-3 weeks has been something else. Apparaneltey I have a banner on my vehicle thats says this
    " If you like to flip your 4 wheeler end over end, because you got impatient going up the trail and wanted to take another route, and you come armed with the wrong ammo for Bear and Moose, you like to shift gears on your wheeler in the mud and try to wheel threw the mud in 3rd gear in 2 wheel drive and you cant figure out why you got stuck in the first place and your constant excuse is well it "has been awhile, your wife turns to me and start telling me you spend to much time and money going hunting and you need to stay home and not go hunting, and you shot plenty of whitetail deer and you know what to do with a moose, and you see a moose 4 miles away in the open tundra and want to take off after one on foot cause it don't look that bad down thier." If you fit into this criteria then apparantely I'm your guy to take you hunting. The fella riding around shifting and cruising in two wheel drive was someone else newbie hunter by the way...

Wait...what? Problem #1: 4-wheeler.

323, What was your first trip out into the GREAT OUTDOORS like, lol. ( I would venture to say it was differant than deer hunting.)

They all learn, some sooner than others. Some it will cost them to repair thier equipment, others with hospital bills, and others who just don't learn and it will cost them with there lives.

And by the way I'm sure your FRIEND has learned a thing or two by now.<smiles>

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    Wait...what?
    x2...

So you had to help someone that got stuck?

I have no problem helping people get unstuck but if you know thier is a mudhole and you might get stuck and your chances of getting stuck are slim to none if you are in 4 wheel drive then run your wheeler in 4 wheel drive not 2 then get stuck, and stop shifting stay in either 1st or 2nd... this fella was with our hunting party... As for the fella with us that flipped his 4 wheeler end over end I thought he was going to be layign on the ground dead, much to my relief he popped up chasing his wheeler... Then he brought his 338 ultra mag and his load was 180gr ballistic tips and he wanted to shoot a brown bear, I didn't think I would have to check his ammo nor did I think I have to give 4 wheeler riding advice...

Apparently your "buddies " have not been reading this forum!!! I have not ben to Alaska to hunt yet but seem to already be ahead of many!! I truly appreciate yalls advice and dont get too mad as I will have lots of questions as next years hunt gets closer.

What's wrong with a .338 ultra mag and 180 grain bullets to kill a brown bear. That has plenty of power to kill a brownie. There are many people that have killed brownies with a lot less just fine. I guess you could make the arguement ballistic tips wouldn't work that well on brownies, but sure seems to me like gun/ammo combo would do the job.

Well, every hunter has to start somewhere. I'm sure your friends are grateful for your help and advice. Let's hope they learn from the experience! I'm something of a newbie myself when it comes to hunting, but as for venturing into the Alaskan wilderness and being prepared as far as firepower and survival gear goes, as well as terrain navigation... it's not likely I'll need much help. I'm going on a solo hunt this weekend for moose not far from home. If my ATV can't handle the terrain I'll know it, and I'll choose another route. If I have a moose down, I have several friends just a phone-call away who will be happy to come and help for some moose meat in payment. I hope you have better hunting next time!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Wow thats all i can say is this dude from Cali...LOL

Thats why I won't go hunting with just anyone. If I don't trust someone with my life in the woods I don't go, I would rather go by myself. Unfortunatly this leaves me with a short list of huntin buddies but I refuse to put up with such nonsense.

Good post, had to laugh because I've been there. A guy from work bugged me to take him on a caribou hunt and explained how he had hunted all over the place and knew what he was doing. I thoughly explained that I wasn't a guide and would not guide him and his added on to the trip, buddy. I gave him a list of gear and tent he would need etc. ...Soo I thought what could happen they were fully equipted, the right gear, 338's, flight was booked with a good air service , in we went set up a camp. The first morning here comes a bou , perfect what could go wrong. BUZZZZZ bob, tell him what he could have won!! After the first two shots at 30 yards ,my mouth hanging open looking at this poor bou gut shot trying to get back up and this guy looks at me and sas what should I do he still trying to get up. I calmly said "relax and shoot him again" . A little later I told him that he needed to dress out and bag this bou so it wouldn't go bad. His responce was "could you show me where to start" The trip continuied in that direction.
    My wife has forbidden me from hunting with anybody not from Alaska, and now has limited it to my best two friend only. I think everybody has one of these stories they have learned from, now I just refer them to a guide or airservice for a drop hunt. I'll help them plan gear but thats about it.

Small game hunts only for me with rookies! I can see how they handle themselves and I would much rather demo how to field dress on a rabbit than a moose! For the most part I don't mind as long as they don't try and sell themselves as something they are not and are willing to listen AND actually have the capacity to implement what they are taught. The hardest thing to bring a new partner into is predator hunting for me. I want to really hunt and it seems most of the fall weekend warriors don't want to really put in the effort that hunting preds takes. For the most part that is a solo adventure for me so far, at least until my kids get old enough since I know they listen!!

I would rather have a rookie with a good attitude than a vet with a crummy outlook!!

Had a fella from Houston join our group one year. The store in Houston told him a Mini-14 would be perfect for moose and black bear. So that's what he had. I guess the guys in Texas didn't like him either.

The fella on the wheeler after a couple of days he got the hang of it and was riding somewhat like a pro and he got his 1st moose and that was pretty cool. The other fella who flipped his wheeler was relegated to riding shotgun in my ranger! I'm serious it scared the living $&^@ out of me I thought we were going to be the ones to tell his wife he was dead and how in the he!! were we going to explian to the BDE commander how he died. I love both these guys like brothers but dang when one scare the living bejesus out of you and the other well he finally got the hang of it well sort of after 3 days of riding and figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    Had a fella from Houston join our group one year. The store in Houston told him a Mini-14 would be perfect for moose and black bear. So that's what he had. I guess the guys in Texas didn't like him either.
    actually, a friend of mine uses his mini 14 for all of his big game.he get's within 50 yds. or so and puts a fmj right in there ear.i was pretty nervous the first time i saw him kill a brown bear with it,but sure enough one shot and that bear was done.just goes to show what shot placement does.

My rant about newbie hunters to Alaska
    I am a newbie to hunting myself. I am going on my first Moose hunt after Labor Day. I have alot to learn and am thankfull that I have someone to show me the ropes. We will be going out from my cabin on 4 wheelers. My rifle is a 7mm Remington Mag that my father gave me. The gun is from the first yeay of production. My mother baught for him. It has only had a dozen rounds fired out of it. There is an old Marlin scope on it. Been down to the Rabbit Creek range sighting it in. I am 35 and have been reading posts on this site for some time now. I dont care for all the bashing that goes on here but one can find some good info from some good people. Everyone has to learn somehow and if someone takes the time to show them then they too will be proficient. To me it is not about bagging the biggest but more about the time out with good people. I understand that for some it is food on the table, but also for some it is the experience that counts. I hope we have a fun and safe trip and are lucky to come home with one for our work. Thanks just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Small game hunts only for me with rookies! I can see how they handle themselves and I would much rather demo how to field dress on a rabbit than a moose! For the most part I don't mind as long as they don't try and sell themselves as something they are not and are willing to listen AND actually have the capacity to implement what they are taught. The hardest thing to bring a new partner into is predator hunting for me. I want to really hunt and it seems most of the fall weekend warriors don't want to really put in the effort that hunting preds takes. For the most part that is a solo adventure for me so far, at least until my kids get old enough since I know they listen!!

I would rather have a rookie with a good attitude than a vet with a crummy outlook!!
    +1
    very good advice

AKATVN- It seems as though you have your trip planned out and are well prepared, so the best of luck to you. You say "we" so I take it there is someone that has some experience with you, Your post seems as though yopu are anxious to learn and you will one day be able to help others.
    The big majority of "weekend warriors".."out of state hunters"..."newbie hunters" or whatever other nicknames people call them have an "me" attitude and dont tend to think of how their actions can benefit or destroy the hunt.....This topic gets addressed frequently also.. lol

There are also the hunters out there who learn from experience... Ones that never had "guidance" and learned to hunt the way that it works best for them and their family ..not others,.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

"Some" newbies are all ears up until the time they get into the field and then it becomes all about the destination and not the journey and patience/common sense goes right out the window.

On the only trip to AK I was fortunate enough to be invited on many years ago to accompany my ex BIL and their party came pretty close to being a total nightmare.
    Our camp consisted of a very seasoned AK resident of 20+ yrs who was an experienced hunter and outdoorsman, his newbie hunter brother and son, my newbie BIL and his semi experiences buddy and myself, who at the time was a reloader, competitive rifle shooter, predater caller who had taken about half a dozen big game animals.
    First day in camp I arrive at sundown with the pilot in his Beechcraft and meet the other hunters the pilot had flown in a few hours later in his smaller plane. We proceed to unload the two quads and make a couple of trips from the landing strip to the miners shack a 1/4 mile or so away and get settled in for the night.
    We are up at first light and I see my frame pack is moved and open. BIL was thirsty and forgot his water so he decided to help himself to some of mine.
    After a quick breakfast we load up and head up the trail back to the landing strip and start to see a few Caribou and after another 1/2 mile we are up on a rise and can see a few hundred spread out over a couple of miles and we all head off on foot in different directions.
    About an hour later I shoot a bull a few hundred yards from the quads and head back to get my pack and knives off the quad.
    When I get back I find one of the other hunters decided to take a quad, the one with my pack and "head out".
    Made for an interesting morning. Everyone tags out by the afternoon except for one hunter.
    The BIL decideds he wants to bird hunt in the late afternoon and heads off, alone with just a shotgun. Around 10 pm he is still out so the only other person with outdoors experience besides me heads out with the BIL's friend on quads to find him. Meanwhile it;s getting darker so I build a fire for the BIL to home in on and about 45 minutes after the sun sets I see the glimmer of his flashlight about 1000 yards away across the tundra.
    A few hundred yards away he is finally rescued by one of the guys on a quad. He was hyper as hell and scared to death. He got turned around when clouds set in panicked and as the temps dropped he started to get hypothermia from sweating as he ran around.
    It took a few hours to calm him down and get him warmed up.
    The next morning he and his buddy set out to fill the last tag. After a few hours they return with one on the back of one quad but in their rush to try and head some off they manage to flip the newest quad and shatter the winshield and snap the stock of the rifle in half at the pistol grip that was still mounted on the front of the quad because they were too lazy to take it off.
    The rifle belonged to another one of the hunters who spent most of the morning cooking breakfast. Talk about a bunch of cowboys.

What I hate about newb hunters is what they consider "hunting". Not all fit this bill but more so than not. They sit on their 4 wheeler, riding down a trail and say they're "Moose hunting".

They sit in the middle of a clearing of a powerline trail, with a distinct 4 wheeler trail at their feet, oblivious to the fact that there are zillions of other hunters all around them and say they're "calling moose".

They drive the same silly piece of road from dawn till dusk road hunting.

I and many others see this behavior every single year. Such is the life of a moose hunter. Trying to find a local moose hunting spot is a chore these days.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast