Thread: Guide Requirements

Default Guide Requirements

What's up with the Hunting Guide license requirements?
    The land of the free is no longer free. The rich have infiltrated the legal system and placed outrageous requirements on what should be our right as American citizens to operate a business and move up in the world. Contact your local Fish and Wildlife office and give them your opinion.

Outdoorsman 77,
    Great!
    What are you saying?
    Please expand your comment and thoughts, for all of us to understand.
    Or, be more specific, please.

Dennis

What a first post, I dont even know how to answer this. Are you sure you dont want to be a doctor, oh wait they need a license also.

To be a guide you need experience in the field, and in the area you are hunting. The requirements to be a guide are not that exteme and they make sure that you know what you are doing and have the experienceyou need. The reason for all the requirements in the first place is that you have to realize that you will be in the field with someone who probubly has never even been to the state to start with, and its up to you to keep all of you alive if something bad should happen. Not all clients are true outdoorsman some have never been out of the city and I for one would rather go with a guide that has met these basic requirements than some Joe blow off the street from California that decided yesterday he wanted to be a big game hunting guide in Alaska..

I don't think you want me to contact F&G to give my opinion. If you are talking about the price I don't think it's too much. How many hunters does a guide take out in a season at $15,000 a pop or more? How much do you get in tips from your hunters? I actually think it's a good idea to have the prices a bit expensive. I'm sure it keeps some of the not so serious people from trying to be a guide.

License/Exam Fees:
    Application $100 (nonrefundable)
    Registered guide qualification exam $50
    Game management unit exam $200 per unit

Resident License:
    • Master Guide-Outfitter $450
    • Registered Guide-Outfitter $450
    • Transporter $450
    • Biennial Renewal $450
    • Class-A Assistant Guide $250
    • Assistant Guide $250.00
    Nonresident fees are double the resident fees listed above.

http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/dlo/guide.htm

Congrats Dennis, you just hit your 1000th post.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I don't think you want me to contact F&G to give my opinion. If you are talking about the price I don't think it's too much. How many hunters does a guide take out in a season at $15,000 a pop or more? How much do you get in tips from your hunters? I actually think it's a good idea to have the prices a bit expensive. I'm sure it keeps some of the not so serious people from trying to be a guide.

License/Exam Fees:
    Application $100 (nonrefundable)
    Registered guide qualification exam $50
    Game management unit exam $200 per unit

Resident License:
    • Master Guide-Outfitter $450
    • Registered Guide-Outfitter $450
    • Transporter $450
    • Biennial Renewal $450
    • Class-A Assistant Guide $250
    • Assistant Guide $250.00
    Nonresident fees are double the resident fees listed above.

http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/dlo/guide.htm

Congrats Dennis, you just hit your 1000th post.
    quit surfing the forum and get to work!!

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    quit surfing the forum and get to work!!
    lunch break.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Be grateful I'm not in charge otherwise you'd see the following changes:

I would bring back the written test for assistant guide applicants with no change to application fees and I would require a minimum of 180 days of logged field work (similar to boat captain licensing) in addition to the existing endorsement requirements.

I would differentiate between resident and non-resident registered/master guides with non-resident guides being charged at the same ratio as non resident hunters $25 vs 85$ is a 340 percent increase therefore a non-resident registered/master guide license would cost $1,530 vs $450.

I would not put restrictions on non-resident assistant guides since local talent is insufficient to meet demand.

I would also allow non-resident hunters to select hunt packages and pay trophy fees en lieu of tag fees similar to African hunts.

As far as I'm concerned...If you want to make money off of Alaska's resources then live here.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Well said Erik

While I am planning a DIY hunt, If I were going to hire a guide it would have to a resident who lived there all year. I am also making sure my pilot is a full time resident. I dont want some flatlander coming up for the summer and flying me around Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman 77 View Post
    What's up with the Hunting Guide license requirements?
    The land of the free is no longer free. The rich have infiltrated the legal system and placed outrageous requirements on what should be our right as American citizens to operate a business and move up in the world. Contact your local Fish and Wildlife office and give them your opinion.
    One vaguely worded post and you're able to dig up that dead horse from the grave so it can get beaten all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    As far as I'm concerned...If you want to make money off of Alaska's resources then live here.
    Your applying that idea to all resources, right? Oil, gold, timber, fish etc.?
    I am glad your not in charge, Erik, Our state would be in court all the time. Your idea is not suported by the constitution. You might want to check residency in Russia tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I was hoping that Outdoorsman77 would take a few micro-seconds and expand on his original question, his first post ever.
    I am not certain if he was objecting to the requirement for nonresidents to contract the services of a guide-outfitter in order to hunt sheep/goats/brown-grizz, or if he was concerned with the process of becoming a licensed guide-outfitter in Alaska. Or was he in some way referring to the SOA/DNR Guide Concession Plan, which remains a potential guide abortion process.
    He did generate some initial interest with his post #1. Perhaps post #2 will be more expository.

So, Outdoorsman, help us help you....what were you asking?
    We are here to answer you.

dennis

I have sometimes wondered what the provision is for reinstating a laps Registered Guide License. (Just curious)

Interesting thread. A post & ditch effort by the op.

MT, I think I know where Erik is coming from and you're right it doesn't work out with other industries--even guiding. Alaskan's should have a hiring preference, but there's no way Alaska could supply the need for qualified oil, gas, mine workers, or guides. I don't believe residents are being turned away from the guiding industry, hence the need for out of state guides. Maybe I'm wrong...

Tim