Thread: Shed Antler Dogs

Default Shed Antler Dogs

Hello All,
    I've read a few articles on Shed Antler Dogs used mainly to find Whitetail Deer sheds in the lower 48 and Canada. I have seen a few pictures of finds from Canada that included moose and caribou antlers. A quick google search finds two different sites listing the dogs for $6500-$7500 for a fully trained dog and that price also included training for its new handler. I'm just wondering if there is any interest in Alaska for this type of dog????

For that kind of money, they better be able to cook, clean and wipe my butt

But seriously, I never heard of them before, but that is a lot of money.

Thats what I thought.... pretty high priced dogs. Is there even a market for selling sheds?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
    Thats what I thought.... pretty high priced dogs. Is there even a market for selling sheds?
    Yes there is and it is actually fairly lucrative.

Heck, I got 10$ mutts who never fail to find the antlers in my yard no matter where i put them, lol...(and you get the added bonus of having them chewed into manageable sized pieces)...shoot me a PM if you'd like me to ship you one,

Thing about shed hunting in Alaska is so much of it is so remote, unlike the lower-48 where you are often near a road or trail, you'd really have cover a lot more ground and pack the sheds a lot further. Would take a long time to recoup the 7 grand for a specially trained shed-hunting doggie.

Just as an fyi, last time I sold antlers I was getting $5.50/lb for the nice brown antlers. The bleached white ones go for way way less. You can get more by selling the nicer sets to carvers and other artists.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Warthog, one what....dog or antler?????

One dog and I'll throw in as many pieces of antler as you want...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Nah, already got one of those, in fact mine is a multi-tasker. Not only can he customize a set of caribou horns, but he can also remove from the wall and effectively disassemble a cased fox hide. I'm so proud...not.

Default Found a few

Our Border Collie"Sadie" would bring home sheds and skulls from our backyard in the "Selway" back in Montana. Would never chew on them, just bring them home and put them near the front porch. Got quite a pile going as I had to move them to mow the lawn.Sadie.jpg
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I have found that they tend to shy away from wolf and bear hides...a low growl and a little piddle on the floor is all they can seem to muster, lol

I spent a good deal of time training my yellow lab to be a shed dog here on POW. It's a lot of training, and my dog still isn't very good at it.

I'm thinking of getting another lab as a pup and really working it to make it a top notch shed dog. Not much info on it though.

I met Chuck Heath at his house last month and he has a new pup that is in training but pretty darn good! Was wearing an antler dog hat??!
    Last edited by Zinker; 08-25-2010 at 17:21. Reason: Wrong picture script

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yes there is and it is actually fairly lucrative.
    It's only lucrative if you are away from Anchorage and Fairbanks, break the law, and/or have a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I spent a good deal of time training my yellow lab to be a shed dog here on POW. It's a lot of training, and my dog still isn't very good at it.

I'm thinking of getting another lab as a pup and really working it to make it a top notch shed dog. Not much info on it though.
    270TI,

Just Curious... What would you spend for a trained dog, or even a dog that has been started???

I love shed hunting and had heard about "shed antler dogs", so I did some looking into it. Roger Sigler trains dogs and also has a training DVD. www.antlerdogs.com
    I bought a yellow lab puppy, and his DVD. It was pretty good, but I didn't have the time to put into training my lab for sheds. I have often wondered how he would be able to handle a big moose or caribou antler. I have taken him out several times, but have not found any sheds yet.
    As for shed hunting being "lucrative" ... I have made a lot of $$$ from sheds I've found, thousands of dollars. The market isn't as good as it used to be 20 years ago. I sell a lot of sheds on ebay. I've sold single sides of moose antler sheds for $450. Just be sure that if you or your dog finds a skull, that the antlers must be cut off the skull before it can be legally sold. It's a great activity in the spring when the snow is just coming off and the leaves have not yet budded.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
    270TI,

Just Curious... What would you spend for a trained dog, or even a dog that has been started???
    I'd pay $500-800 for a good lab pup, and train it myself..

I have a gun dog magazine laying around here with an article about training for shed hunting. If I can find it are you interested in seeing it?

I bought their DVD some time ago but have yet to watch it, now that I looked at their web site again I notice that they are only about 40 minutes from where I'm currently staying, suppose I should check them out some day...