Thread: Egg-sucking leech: hold the egg?

Default Egg-sucking leech: hold the egg?

Most of us fish with egg-sucking leeches in some form, or so I assume. Many of us also fish with beads. So my question is simply this:

Does it make sense to tie leeches (hareball, MOAL, voodoo, loop, string, woolly buggers, etc) without the chenille/crystal chenille/glue/bead at the head of the fly, and simply peg a bead above the fly when we want our leeches to suck hard on an egg? Few of us fish with glo-bugs anymore so why do we settle for a chenille/yarn head on our leeches? Pegging beads provides a lot more flexibility in size/color of eggs, too.

I'm guessing a lot of you already do this so I'm just throwing it out there for your input.

I know several guides that just carry plain leeches and a bag of their favorite beads. They don't bother with pegging because water movement will hold the bead close enough to do the work. With the bag-o-beads they can turn any pattern into an egg sucker right on the river. Handy with clients and lots cheaper for them than stocking a whole nuther set of egg sucking flies.

Good, glad that some guides are doing the same thing. I usually put 1 or 2 beads in front of all of my flies when fishing for kings, and occasionally when I'm fishing leeches for bows/dollies/steelhead (esp steelhead). I fish a tube leech w/o egg in various colors for cohos, pinks, and most frequently big bows on the swing. I don't fish traditional ESLs at all anymore.

Yeah, the practice has been around for at least 20 years that I know of. Pegging is pretty much a waste of time.

To my way of thinking when fishing an esl, you are just using the egg part as an attractor pattern rather than immitating an actual salmon egg. I tend to favor the popular pink heads on purple leeches. Leeches don't eat eggs, or so I have read.

When fishing beads or globugs, I feel you are actually immitating a salmon egg in the stream and the pattern should be that much more specific. I like some, give much thought to the size/color of beads when that is my only offering.

While I have heard of folks putting beads in front of leeches, I couldn't bring myself to do this instead of using pre-tied egg sucking leeches. At least not exclusively as I have caught too many fish on traditional esl patterns. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my thought.

However, I did have these two tone woollly buggers with painted flourescent pink bead heads tied up for a float trip a few years back and it was a very effective pattern. Half white and half purple or olive. These are great dolly and grayling flies. Additionally, I have a friend who fishes the Kanektok every year and he swears by the egg stealing super sculpin from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. It comes in three colors and uses a bead up front.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by okisutch View Post
    Good, glad that some guides are doing the same thing. I usually put 1 or 2 beads in front of all of my flies when fishing for kings, and occasionally when I'm fishing leeches for bows/dollies/steelhead (esp steelhead). I fish a tube leech w/o egg in various colors for cohos, pinks, and most frequently big bows on the swing. I don't fish traditional ESLs at all anymore.
    I don't either, infact I make an esl that is more like an articulating flesh fly (black or purple) and just run a bead down the line.........it seems to be way more effective.

Some nice flys you got there dan. Might need to make a big order of alaska fly fishing goods. As for esl patterns, i like the pre tied. As i dont have much experiance with the leach/bead pegging combo.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Dude, they know me by name
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Dude, they know me by name

And he isn't joking! LOL Dan I hope I spread some love your way, I dropped your name when I was talking to mike, I bought some beads from him and he threw in a few extra. Nice guys, I would recomend them.