Thread: Strange fish

Default Strange fish

I am new to the area and am wondering what these strange fish are swimming by my feet in the shallows a lot - or more like drifting by. They seem to just drift with the current and then swim upriver a bit from time to time. In the evenings, they jump out of the water a lot, I assume feeding, but they are not interested in anything on my line. I literally bumped one with a Vibrax and he didn't care. There are also a couple of them dead on the shoreline. They are very splotchy in color, with no bright colors that I could see. The dead ones have pretty decent little teeth in them.

Looks like they would be a fun fight to catch, but I don't know what they are or what to throw. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you referring to spawned out pinks or chum? And where are you seeing this so we have an idea of your fishing location.

That's funny! It sounds like you are in a salmon spawning area and you should leave them alone.

This has got to be a joke. Right?

This HAS to be a joke...

It's a bit tough to lend any info when you give us no idea where you where! What "shallow" body of water where you in? Did you take a picture of the dead ones on shore? How big was the fish? "Very splotchy" is about as specific as saying: "I saw a fish with fins."

Give more information about the fish, and you'll probably get an answer that identifies the fish.

Its most likely a pink.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Why does it "have to be a joke"? If someone is new to the area, it is entirely understandable that they might not recognized a spawned out, rotting salmon as such. I doubt many of us would recognize fish native to other areas, so cut the guy some slack.

I 100% agree with Brian on this, The dude just got here, Wanted to do some fishing and got out. Atleast hes not sitting infront of the tv and atleast doing something. Cut the man some slack!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Your right. I went through his other posts, which I should of done before saying something, he is very new to things in Alaska.
    I thought it was some smarty pants trying to be funny.

Nothing like a leprous pink bumping into your leg over and over again, almost like it is begging you "kill me, kiiillllll mmmmeeeee!!!" Guarantee you it is no fun to catch, and definately not good to eat at that stage.

Here is something to help you figure out what you saw.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...s/salmonid.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Nothing like a leprous pink bumping into your leg over and over again, almost like it is begging you "kill me, kiiillllll mmmmeeeee!!!" Guarantee you it is no fun to catch, and definately not good to eat at that stage.

Here is something to help you figure out what you saw.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...s/salmonid.pdf
    I have had reds and pinks do that, the first time it took me a bit to figure otu what it was and to my surprise it was a nasty pink trying to bite my boot.......LOL

A spawned out Salmon for sure. And you would be best off leaving them alone. Nothing glorious about beating up a fish trying to reproduce while on it's last legs =)
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I have had reds and pinks do that, the first time it took me a bit to figure otu what it was and to my surprise it was a nasty pink trying to bite my boot.......LOL
    Just a guess but I bet your boot was encroaching on its eggs

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Just a guess but I bet your boot was encroaching on its eggs
    Well I don't know, it was in the little su, just around the bend from my creek hole, I don't know if pinks spawn there or not.

LOL...I thought I heard the sound of kissing butt 100% somewhere in this thread. Funny stuff. A pic would definetly be nice. Ive dipnetted in Fish Creek 15 years ago maybe, and you could have salmon running into your legs the whole time out in the inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I am new to the area and am wondering what these strange fish are swimming by my feet in the shallows a lot - or more like drifting by. They seem to just drift with the current and then swim upriver a bit from time to time. In the evenings, they jump out of the water a lot, I assume feeding, but they are not interested in anything on my line. I literally bumped one with a Vibrax and he didn't care. There are also a couple of them dead on the shoreline. They are very splotchy in color, with no bright colors that I could see. The dead ones have pretty decent little teeth in them.

Looks like they would be a fun fight to catch, but I don't know what they are or what to throw. Any help would be appreciated.
    I agree that more information is needed. Assuming you are talking about a salmon, use this general guideline. #1. Does it have dark black spots? If so, it would be either a king, silver, or pink. If it is a king (not likely this late in the year), it would have small black spots on the dorsal (upper) portion of the body and both lobes or the caudal fin (tail). It would also have black gums. If it is a silver then it would also have small black spots on the back and small black spots on the upper portion of the tail or caudal fin, and it's gums would be white. If it is a pink (very likely, considering the splotchy description) then it would have LARGE dark spots on the caudal fin. Also, the males would have a very large hump (hence the nickname humpies). #2. If it does not have spots, then it would be either a dog salmon or a red. When spawning these fish are easy to tell apart. Dogs are tiger striped. They are also called calico salmon for this very reason. It they are dark red with green heads, then it is a red. My guess, based on your very brief description is it is a pink you are referring to. I hope this helps. Google Alaska Department of Fish and Game and look up fish ID.

Good luck.

Okay, thanks.

It was in the little su that I was referring to. Some locals told me I could catch some rainbow there so I went down and tried some different lures they suggested. Nothing worked until I switched to a bass lure and I finally caught one. I wasn't sure if it would work, but this other stuff is all wierd to me. I am from Louisiana and have done nothing but bass fishing, so having fish just swim right by was rather wierd.

These are definitely not kings....probably like you guys said, spawned out pinks. I was not by any eggs as I was only a few feet out in the water and could clearly see where I was walking. It was crystal clear water. Anyway, thanks for the help and this was not a joke. I just don;t know anything about all this kind of fishing up here. Everything is different. Bass fishing is all about attraction and finesse, where this is apparently all about time of year and catching a big run - which I why I went with rainbows - they are a bit more like bass.

Its alright man congrats on the 'bow!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Welcome to Alaska, enjoy what it has to offer.
    Sorry about thinking it was a joke, and if you want some good rainbow action, drive up the parks highway and fish Montana creek. CNR only.