Thread: First moose X2

Default First moose X2

So I am out at work so I cant post pics till I get home but thought I would take the time to tell the story anyways..
    I just got my wife into hunting last year on bear and ever since she has fell in love with it and the drive to hunt got deeper on our spring trip to Africa where she was able to take some plains game with me. She wanted to hunt just about everything and so far has had the best luck of anyone I have seen or hunted with. Everything she has wanted to hunt seems to just walk out in front of her and stand there for the shot. Well after some spring brown and black bear hunting and taking both she wanted to try her hand at taking her first moose. So we loaded up the rig and called a very good friend of mine that has never killed a moose himself and headed out. After a 4 hour trip through the mud and swamps, more swamps and more mud and meeting a pair of very unfriendly fellow hunters we passed on the way we made it to where I wanted to start hunting. The first morning looked promising from our lookout and we saw plenty of moose but no bulls anywhere. So that evening I decided to try a diferent route and hunt a diferent area where I knew there would be moose and hoping that we could find a legal one for my wife. Then work on finding another for my friend. We no sooner than arrived to where I wanted to be and there about 350 yds away was a moose but all I could see was the rump of it and couldnt see the head so after watchng it through the glass for a few minutes it finally raised its head to show me a fork on each side and thats when my adrenelin spiked. (after many years in the field and lots of downed game it still happens even when it is not me making the shot) My wife is a great shot but I knew it was a little too far for her to take it so I quickly made a plan and we moved into position to make the shot. From 290 yds she had a good spot to shoot from and after making double sure it only had a fork on at least one side and there wasnt a third point in there I got her a good rest and planted myself to make a backup shot if nessesary. By this time the bull had moved behind a tree and blocked the vitals from her but after only a few seconds that ticked by like hours he fed out into the wide open and standing perfectly broadside. I told her now was the time and she pulled the trigger and he droped like a rock with a perfectly aimed bullet from her 300 win mag right through the boiler room.
    We were able to get my side by side right to him which made for an easy pack and started working on him after getting the meat all loaded up and on the way back to camp talking about a plan to get my buddy his moose the next morning when I looked up the trail and there about 150yds away was another moose it was just dusk by now but I did see horns I glassed him and he had a nice rack on him but not quite over 50" I was having trouble making out 3 browtines on dark velvet covered horns against a dark back ground but he gave us all the time I needed to make sure he did in fact sport 3tines on his right side. I let my friend know and he made a great shot through the lungs followed up by an insurance shot and one more from me as he moved into the brush. We got up to where he was standing and found him laying dead not 10 yds from where the first bullet found its mark. His spread was 44" We gutted him out and opened him up returned the next morning to finish the job and headed out with 1000lbs of meat and gear loaded up in the trailer behind my Polaris ranger and headed home with two moose that had fallen to the well aimed shots of two virgin moose killers, and two great people my weekend could have ended no better as I acomplished what I set out to do.

Great story and congrats to your wife and buddy. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Congrats on a great hunt!! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures

Congrats to all 3 of you! Take me next time lol...

NICE! My freezer is full, I doubt I'll even go bird huntin'...I've go salmon, & moose...more than enough hopefully!

Very cool, way to get it done!

Talk about one short moose hunt! Great job and congrats to all three of you on a job well done!

Oh yeah, on a side note, that meadow with all the cows, can & will produce bulls, you just hafta tickle them outta the brush...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Oh yeah, on a side note, that meadow with all the cows, can & will produce bulls, you just hafta tickle them outta the brush...
    The area I like to hunt is on top of a big hill and you can see for miles I like to get up there and see if I can spot anything from up there then I have an idea of where to hunt. The problem with being able to see so much is it takes a long time to get to the animal even once spotted so I dont base my hunt from there but it can give me a direction to go if I find a few. Also the two unfriendly hunters that I mentioned were mad that I was hunting THEIR spot and I F*&%#$ up their whole hunt even though we were there first. So I figured that if it ment that much to them they could have it. I figured it wasnt worth the hassel. I would find my moose somewhere else and it worked out for us there is plenty of area to hunt up where we were and in hind sight it was a blessing to run into these two, everything happens for a reason.

Default their spot?

i assume you were on public land. some of these guys get pretty hostile over something they have no more right to than anybody else.

Congrats to your wife and friend - they are lucky to have such a good friend that is an accomplished hunter.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....