Thread: Cell service on the haul road

Default Cell service on the haul road

I have ATT and want to know if there is any kind of service up there. My wife is really worrying about me going alone.

Not till you get clear up to Deadhorse. Coldfoot has a payphone you can use at the cafe to check in as well. I always rent a sat phone before I head up just in case. Keeps the wife happy too

If you drive up the hill at last chance before PS2 and then stand on top of your truck you sometimes can get one bar if the conditions are right.

I have made this trip dozens of times solo, just take your time and have fun its a great trip with plenty to see

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 2-6 View Post
    If you drive up the hill at last chance before PS2 and then stand on top of your truck you sometimes can get one bar if the conditions are right.
    I heard of folks getting some cell reception at the pull out, about 3 miles south of Pump Station 2. Otherwise, you cell coverage stops at the pull out at Elliot Hwy MP 28 (about 35 miles north of Fairbanks) and does not resume until about 20-30 miles south of Deadhorse.

when you heading up there

About 2 am

probably too late for mossyhorn but at the pull out at top of hill south of ps2 last 2 years weak signal and unable to get call thru but may be able to get text mess. thru ( before that it was pretty good spot????? 3-4 years ago) i have done that in PWS with weak signal . I have ACS folks get good ATT service in deadhorse area not where i work at Kuparuk. so i'm not sure how you will do at that pull out.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Go buy a SPOT. Wal-Mart carries them and is open late, so you could still get one tonight. You activate the service online, so that can be done before your departure as well. You can leave it in tracking mode while driving, then send an "OK" message to your wife's e-mail and cell phone a couple of times a day to let her know everything is good. A bit of an expense, but if you spend much time out alone, the peace of mind for your spouse (and a possible rescue for you) is worth every penny.

I just got back from the slope

No cell service until just outside Deadhorse

You can get some bars at high points but a COM tech up there told me that it takes the data too long to travel that distance and the signal won't connect

btw Caribou were not PLENTIFUL but you could almost always find some even just casually looking as we drove

I thought they were thickest between Pump Station 4 to maybe 10-15 miles north of Pump Station 3

Rent a SAT phone and she will be happy :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Amazing what technology has done to our hunting lives. 20 years ago, we used to go on week long hunting trips, and never had cell phones. However, we were well prepared, and a couple of us, and others knew where we were. Now, it seems we can hunt for very long, out of cell range.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I have ATT and want to know if there is any kind of service up there. My wife is really worrying about me going alone.
    you gotta be s**ting me dude! become a man or find a new hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    you gotta be s**ting me dude! become a man or find a new hobby...
    Ah yes, because a real man doesn't care about his wife back home. A real man doesn't try to put his wife at ease and show concern for her needs. Thanks for setting us straight.

Nothing wrong with keeping the wife happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Ah yes, because a real man doesn't care about his wife back home. A real man doesn't try to put his wife at ease and show concern for her needs. Thanks for setting us straight.
    anytime you some advice just ask.

Wow this thread is getting deep in marital advice, Mossyhorn already left for his hunt,, and for sure if there isn't any cell phone service, there definitely is no internet cafe's enroute to Slope Mountain. (unless one got built in the last week).

[QUOTE=wiso_67;796220]Wow this thread is getting deep in marital advice. QUOTE]

my 'ol lady just left me and I can't figure out why?

Well I am already on my 2nd wife, so I have no advice for anyone on anything hahahhahhah, I am constantly a day late and a dollar short