Thread: Pike tackle

Default Pike tackle

What kind of tackle works good for catching pike on the Yukon river/sloughs?

Red & white spoons is my first choice from Canada to Alaska & northern US.
    Frogs
    Sometimes anything that moves
    Wire leaders almost a must.

The Rapalas with the breaks in the middle, golden color. Or black.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I grew up fishing pike in the midwest- 1 oz silver spoons, along with the red/white silver spoons are good to start with. Top water frogs/hula poppers aren't bad either... if pike are in the mood they'll bite on about anything making some noise or having some decent action. As noted above, wire leaders are a good idea, they'll snap your line pretty easily otherwise. Rod/reel wise, anything you use for salmon will be ok.

they are so aggressive pretty much anything would work. was messing around with a snagging hook one time while we were idling and a pike came up and took a hit at it. pixies, spinners and daredevils are used often. one summer i used a top water hook that imitated a fish and watched pike take them, that was alot of fun.

Topwater topwater topwater!!! Buzzbaits... large muskie plugs... jitterbugs.. crazy crawlers.. hula poppers.. gotta love the topwater strikes!!

Best of luck!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Topwater topwater topwater!!! Buzzbaits... large muskie plugs... jitterbugs.. crazy crawlers.. hula poppers.. gotta love the topwater strikes!!

Best of luck!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    Or a little handymans special made from aluminum cigar tubes.

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php?

My other go to lures are weedless spoons in gold or silver with a Mr Twister twin tail trailer in white. A good follow up bait for tossing to those reluctant followers is an 8" black reaper on a 1/2 ounce musky jig.

ANY spoons...bigger better! my personal fave. is the yellow and red five of diamonds!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

heading to the yukon river this weekend, gonna bring the topwaters and frog imators, man its gonna be fun

After loosing a fortune in tackle pike fishing with steel leaders and snap links, I switched over to 40lb Flourocarbon Leader. I have not had a pike cut one yet.

When I used the steel wire leaders, when the pike did their classic alligator roll, they would pry open the snaplink on the leader and I would loose lure and fish.

I saw guys using it on TV and tried it myself and I can tell you it works way better. It don't get all twisted with memory like wire will and I catch more fish using it.

Give it a try.

Steve

Magnum Wiggle Worts & Kwik Fish K-15s & the shinier & bigger, the better, make sure they rattle, slow retrieve & you'll have mulitiple pike hittin' yer lure with every cast, if they're there...I've been usin' those now for the last 4 years on Pike, & I can assure you I get more hits than anyone usin' a spoon...

The buzz bait is un-stoppable, we could probably catch more fish going sub-surface but what's the fun in that. TOPWATER!!

Stid- I cant say that I've ever had a leader fail but I'm sure your 40lb works too.