Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ton of fun...Bison Down

Smile A ton of fun...Bison Down

Me and my sniper team (11 and 13 year old sons) went chasing Bison up in Delta Junction to take advantage of the early DI403 hunt. We managed to creep up on this 4 year old. My spotter (the 11 year old) was watching hard to ensure it was a bull...got the confirmation and led was flying. First shot, he drops....then gets up. Second shot, he goes down...and tries to get up but no luck. Third shot was up close to put him out of it fast. 7 hours of cuttin', cussin' and carryin', we were off to give our MANY thanks and show our gratitude to groundthunder. What a great lady...and she seemed as excited about out kill as we were. Thanks again groundthunder, we REALLY appreciate the opportunity and advice. Tired, dirty, stinky....but extremely satisfied. Great experience with my two young gunglingers....We'll take a couple of days to recover, tell the story then....where did we see that moose again?DSCN1037.jpg

Nicely done! It's great to see folks taking advantage of this early opportunity. I'm sure it is a lot more pleasant than fighting the biting winds of a cold November morning. Great that you had the kids along as well. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the hunt. Sounds like you have a perfect sniper team. Glad it all worked out for you guys. Now tell me the secret to drawing that bison tag....

That is one awesome family hunt and some great eating you have ahead of you all!! Congrats to you and your sons!!!

Now that right there is a "Bison Co-Op". I'll bet the meat is better than ever, given the early season.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

fantastic!
    congrats to you and yours... i hope to get my boy on a big game critter this year.
    the smiles say it all!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Congrats, any plans on putting the head on the wall? My father has a bison mount and it is an impressive sight.

Nice job! Sure is good to see the kids out there.

Congrats and it looks like you had a great time with the kido's. Don't forget the little guys at work with the taste testing of those stakes!!!

That looks like a nice bul, congats! those guys are a lot of work huh! ive taken 5 bision and know all to much about that. also learned that if you shoot between the ear and the horn, where the spin/skull meet they drop like a ton of bricks. taken a 10 year old cow w/ a bow and a 9 year old bull w/ a 30-30, the other 3 were younger 3 year olds that i used the ear thing with, only needed a 22 lr. hope you didnt have to pack that far...hehe

Congrats!! Who was more excited you or the boys? I've got to get there and fill my tag.

Sorry boss hope you miss me!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Good for you man! That is an awesome opportunity for you and your boys! That will definitely fill the freezer eh?

Nice bull! Congrats

Very nice! That is a memory you three will not forget anytime soon!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Awesome, congrats on your hunt. Too cool having the kids along. Me and my brother accompanied my dad on his bison hunt last year, but we are a little older.

Did you hunt on the Panoramics or Gerstle Fields at all? I'd be interested in how many moose you saw out there as my neice drew one of the youth permits.

Sounds like he hunted the Schultz place. Congrats on a great hunt w/ the kids. I love seeing that high tech AK camo at work too

Default Did you hunt on the Panoramics or Gerstle Fields at all?

Closed for the early hunt, ag land only. Two parcels south of the hiway and north of the hiway.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Great picture and a job well done.

Very nice! Congrats!

We hunted on the Schultz land. Ag land is the only land open for the early hunt (aside from the "A" tracks south of the Alaska highway). A tracks are walk-in only and the bio said no bison had been spotted there yet (that was last week though). My horse went from a 4 legged beast to a 3 legged packer after our early moose hunt...so I had to leave him home for the bison hunt. That would have been cool too, seeing how close I could get to the heard on horseback. Anyway, Mrs. Schultz is a SAINT, absolutely awesome lady. The "hightech" camo wasn't actually used for the stalk (it was pretty warm out), but it's my dad's old hunting jacket and I know that he would have loved being with us as well...he passed a couple of years back, so I wanted pictures with the jacket on, I know my mom will appreciate it and it felt like he was there with us as well. Thanks all for the replys, I hope all fill the freezers with truely "organic" meat this fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast