Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hare phase?

Default hare phase?

when does the rabbit turn white? Winter! ya i know.....how soon though?

Late October or early November...somewhere in there.

whats the deal with folk saying they have worms in summer months?

I shot some half changed rabbits on October 15th last year. As for worms, I dunno if there is any merit to the story but I don't shoot any until October. A few hard freezes knocks down the parasites. They are dirty little critters.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

By the middle to end of October almost all hares are white. Most of them start turning in late September and early October. Here is a pic from a trip last fall. Every bunny was about completely white. Date on the pic is Oct 24. Good luck.

DSC01287a.JPG

they started, its triggered by shorter days
    Tim

what about the warms. I dont wanna eat warms. Do summer rabbit really have warm infestations? Do they really induce syphillis like symptoms?Whats the score here peoples?

Look up hare disease/parasite info. There is a ton of good info out there. If I remember right, ADF&G web site has a ton of info. My grandma says only months with an R are for rabbit! So with that in mind September-April. This holds true in other states also. I don't go after them until October. September is full of grouse and moose hunting for me!

I know last year the rabbits were sucking with the lack of snow and them advertising themselves. I like to wait until there is more snow, its always a blast when that snow ball you were looking at takes off on you.

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    I know last year the rabbits were sucking with the lack of snow and them advertising themselves. I like to wait until there is more snow, its always a blast when that snow ball you were looking at takes off on you.
    That is a blast! I know they got clobbered pretty good last year. I have a friend who works down by Denali park, and he said they were getting hammered by birds of prey and such. It's nice to be little and white with snow, but not so good when you're white, and it's brown out!

Stick with "never eat a rodent in a month without an R" and avoid organ meats and you will be fine. Fact is most comercailly avaible meat, including beef, has paracites. You may not want to eat a worm but if you eat meat I garuntee you have.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    LMy grandma says only months with an R are for rabbit! So with that in mind September-April. This holds true in other states also. I don't go after them until October. September is full of grouse and moose hunting for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Stick with "never eat a rodent in a month without an R" and avoid organ meats and you will be fine. Fact is most comercailly avaible meat, including beef, has paracites. You may not want to eat a worm but if you eat meat I garuntee you have.

Good advice on worms & parasites.
    Tim

They are already turning in Fairbanks! I shot 2 today with the .22 that had white feet and bellies

Really. Is their any good hare hunting south of Anchorage in Indian area. Any Grouse?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    they started, its triggered by shorter days
    I saw one that got the message by September first, his ears were completely white.
    A little white and in a month with an "r" - does that mean he's clean? I let him live in case there was a legal bull in the area.

I need to read up on the tularemia business, is it less prevalent in the cold?

tularemia isnt something to be too crazy concerned about I called fish and game on the matter and they said since they started documenting it in the state there have only been 16 confirmed cases of it statewide and if you cook it correctly where it has a core temp of 160 or more there isn't much to be concerned about. They also said you can tell which ones have it by watching them because they act crazy apparently. I ate both of my bunnies and im not dead yet

saw some bunnies in the glenallen area last weekend and not much white yet.

I saw some on the flats in the valley. Still all brown as far as I could tell.

yeah jumped a few walking into moose areas... no white as far as I could see..blended right in with the alders..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Good advice on worms & parasites.
    Tim
    The standard I went with in Texas & New Mexico and have wisely done the same since living in AK. Matter of fact, RickP verified my suspicions regarding these tasty rodents shortly after joining ODD.
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast