Thread: New herring fly for trolling?

Default New herring fly for trolling?

Tied this today for some coho down-rig trolling, or maybe even casting 2nd week of September. About 7" long on a 1/8 oz. lead-weighted 5/0 Gamakatsu hook. I have never done any down-rig trolling, especially with a fly, so I have no idea if it will work. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    Tied this today for some coho down-rig trolling, or maybe even casting 2nd week of September. About 7" long on a 1/8 oz. lead-weighted 5/0 Gamakatsu hook. I have never done any down-rig trolling, especially with a fly, so I have no idea if it will work. Any thoughts?
    Why on earth would you do anything but fish with the "real thing"?????????

Sorry, just a carry over from previous thread on bait

In all seriousness that looks real good! Would love to know how it works.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

gorgeous fly!!!
    put a stinger hook on it and i'll take a dozen!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yep, stinger and a straight shank and you are golden. I`m sure it will fish fine in it`s currect trim...nice work.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Looks fishy,but would agree with homerdave on a stinger closer to the tail,especialy on those short bite days.We troll flys quite often.

I'm in town for one day, Sunday before Labor Day and have found out I will not be able to score any herring with ever place closed. Plus, the three other guys I fishing with will be strictly stream fly fishing, so I figure this fly might tempt at least one of them to try the salt, especially if we get lucky. I have no high hopes, but its a 1 week vacation, so anything is better than breaking my *****, which I've done all summer!

Default stinger hook

I will adapt a stinger hook to the pattern, excellent suggestion. Thanks!

Great looking fly, mind sharing the recipe? I often troll with flys with no downriggers but a full sinking line and do pretty good. Just got to find the right speed or current. If you do this method add a swivel to minimize twisting.

To me it all depends what it looks like when it's wet. From my experience they get a lot "skinnier" in the water, may look more like a candlefish, which wouldn't be bad either
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I'd probably dispense with the lead if it's going to be on a downrigger anyway.

As for stingers, I just put a mono loop on the hooks before I tie the fly. If you need a stinger, you can add it to the loop any time. If you don't need it, the loop doesn't hurt anything, and in fact helps keep the wing straight if you ever cast the fly.

where you gonna be?
    can't believe ypu can't get someone to put some herring aside for you...?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

how-to:
    Probably be easier to post a series of pictures. I will have to go back and see what materials I used. The main "trick" though is using a coating clear silicone. The silicone is GE in a squeezable tube. Silicone, saliva and smooth with finger(s). The silicone is applied with my fingers wet, saliva works real well, and done in a few applications. The body will not collapse when wet and remains very light and hollow. The silicone makes it fairly flexible but rigid at the same time. It also allows a good deal of shaping and taming of loose synthetics. I was totally surprised the first time I tried it with how easy it was. The top flat wing feathers are laid in the in a thin line bed of silicone and lightly pressed in place. If anyone needs step-by-step photos, I can give it a try.

Thanks BrownBear for the mono loop suggestion. I was going to tie in a plastic tube off the tail of the main hook, but I believe the simple loop will work better, be faster and allow for on-water option of using or not the stinger hook. Great idea! thanks.

Instead of a mono loop I would use braid (40lb) you can even use dacron. Either will be more durable and last longer in the salt.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

I think that those will work out well for you. it is pretty common for people to troll flies for big Kamloops rainbows in southern BC and a lot of the Westrn states. And those are some fishy looking flies.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Tube flies are very common, so this should be a champ too. Might not be bad right on the surface that time of year either - lots of fun. The trailing hook is key.

I tied a similar, but different fly with the stinger hook using a tube extension. When it was pretty much finished, I tested it in the swimming pool. I gotta tell you, I think this thing is going to be deadly. The fly, at a 1/8 oz definitely has a jigging action when it swims, but the really cool thing is if I simply let it dead drop straight down, it spirals! I believe this particular action will very closely mimic a hit, wounded herring. I am now tying a second one with a 1/16 oz with slightly longer tail feathers. In any case, I will start a second thread and post some pictures tomorrow for you criticism, which I always appreciate and learn from.