Thread: Keene 2" backpack dredge?

Default Keene 2" backpack dredge?

I have done a little panning and sluicing and wondering if there is a better way. I am just a recreational guy who likes to camp and have something to do.

Does anyone have any experience with the Keeene 2" backpack dredge? I like its portability (65lbs)and price (about $1300). I am not interested in anything bigger beacause I don't want to lug anything bigger around. They offer a powerjet nozzle or a suction nozzle and I have do idea of the difference. I live in Southeast, AK and there isn't anyone to talk to.

So are there any likes or dislikes people would like to air on this unit or other similar sized dredges? Also there is the 2" Proline Dredge. Do you think the sluice would get clogged up to easliy since you aren't classifying and just running a little water through them?

Sobie2
    Last edited by Sobie2; 08-24-2010 at 16:15. Reason: extra thought

I hav'nt used the 2" for the simple fact that you can buy a 4' sluice box and shovel the material in it. I think the box cost's about $100.00 and it weighs about 20 lbs at most. Get a classifier and stick it above the mouth.

If you are just playing in streams, you might want to think about this.

I've played with the 4"/6" and then you are getting into some serious suction. Then you are under water with air hoses and all kinds of equipment.

Just a thought. www.goldfeverprospecting.com

In my experience - There is only one use for a 2" dredge. If you find a small area with little water and a lot of gold, then it "might" make sense. Otherwise, gold retrieval is based on yards of material processed. A 2" dredge will not process much material. You will also be hand removing all larger rocks. Very slow.

Thanks Rock Skipper and dirtofak,

Not what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to hear.

My sluice is about 2' and you need classify stuff before running it through otherwise I clog it up.

Sobie2

Default 2" Highbanker combo?

I would have to agree with previous posters 2" dredge doesnt move enough material to be worth the cost. Especially without a hookah setup needed on most streams.
    The power jet is more efficient and requires less hoses but the venturi(suction) nozzle allows you to work much shallower and you can raise the nozzle out of the water without losing water flow and suction witch usually results with losing gold out of the box.This can occur anytime you completly stop and start water flow on these smaller sluice boxes . Really shallow water = venturi nozzle. deeper water = jet nozzle.
    have you considered the 2" highbanker combo? I have one and I just love the highbanker. No classifying needed just shovel in to the hopper and clean the tailings at each end every now and then. You can also use it as a dredge wether on the stand or inflatable floats. very portable device.
    Be aware most places that allow highbankers have limits such as building a small settling pond. Some areas also do not allow digging above the high water mark for the stream you are on.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"