Thread: high power scopes fragile?

Default high power scopes fragile?

You'll have to trust me that my scope has the problems and its not my rings, base, stock, ect. My newer 4.5-14 will not hold a zero and with one bump on a log or a small tumble it becomes off by several feet! I hunt this scope in the rainforest and alpine of SE ak so yes i fall alot but expect a nikon scope to hold up a bit better.

One possible conclusion I came Up with is that the length of a high power scopes makes it less hardy. Its a far shot, but what is your opinion? Even the cheaper 3x9s hel longer than this.

I missed a deer at 50 yards 3 times untill i hit it in the ham. Three seperate trips to the range and a hundred dollars in ammo later I am blaming the scope. A real night mare. Yes i dont always need the higher power but it seems convienient at times during goat hunts.

I have had several nikons with no problem if you feel it really is the scope give customer service a call and send it in to be fixed if they cant fix it they should replace it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I wonder if one of them thar Burris Posi-Lock scopes would be the answer to your problem. ?????

http://www.burrisoptics.com/tech.html

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have to concur with El. I have Nikon Scopes on all my rifles for a reason, they work and they are tough. Last year my 11 year old son and his buddy, also an 11 year old, got into a heard of der and thinnned them out pretty quickly. Both filling their 4 tag limit. Of course by the time we finished cleaning them it was dark, as usual. Anyway we loaded 4 Texas deer into the back of my UTV and headed out over hill and dale abouot 4 miles. Of course when we arrive at the trucks I ask my kid where out rilfes are, yup, under all the deer! Not even in the cases. Well needles to say they were bloody,dusty and just plain nasty. Rinsing them in the motel shower was all I could do since it was 30 degrees outside. Next day I filled my tags all with one shot stops and no misalignment of zero. Thanks Nikon for making my day. Sadly I am sure this is just the beginning of stories like this.....Many of you know exactly what I am talking about.

I have no experience with Nikon scopes.

However, I have read a few of complaints about their scopes and customer feed back reviews on various web sites that carry their products.

Another interesting thing that I have noticed is the fact that they sell a lot of reconditioned scopes factory direct. I imagine that a reconditioned scope would be a warranty return product that has been repaired and offered for sale.

I did consider buying one of their scopes at one time for a light recoiling rifle. Their clarity is very good and their BDC reticle design is nice but I went another direction.

I think you probably just got unlucky and got a bad one. Get ahold of Nikon and tell them your problem. They will probably replace it.

I know it's not any help but sometimes there are issues and then you deal with thme and move on. A few suggestions and you have probably already done all these but hey,may help. Start with checking bases to make sure they are tight,rings tight to base, rings align with each other, A scope mounting kit will help with this,keeps unnecessary pressure off tube. Rings are tight to scope, I believe a torque wrench says 50-60 lbs. Try this all out if you haven't already El...

If this doesn;t help,try below. I know Nikon wants a satisifed customer so they will do what it takes hopefully to make sure you are happy.

Supplying great products and service to our customers is a top priority for Nikon. To provide you with the service you need for your Nikon product, please take note of the information provided on this page.

To have your product serviced, please contact your Nikon Inc. dealer or your Nikon Inc. Factory Service Facility. Nikon Inc. and our dealer network take great pride in our service facilities, and our trained technicians use only genuine Nikon parts to fix your equipment. But before sending in your product, please write down the model and serial number and keep it for your reference.

How to Ship Your Product to Nikon for Factory Service:

We recommend using a shipping company—like UPS—that provides a tracking number.
    Please secure the product in a shipping box with two to three inches of packing material surrounding the product.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not ship in the original display box. Use a shipping box that provides better protection.
    We do not need to receive accessories, like batteries and chargers or digital cards, unless they help us evaluate the issue with the product. (Cards with sample images are helpful for focusing or image-quality issues, and they will be returned to you.)
    We recommend insuring the product for its replacement value.
    Where to Ship Your Product for Nikon Factory Service:

Send your product to the address below, based on where you live within the United States.

East of the Mississippi River:
    Nikon Inc. Photo & Digital Service
    Nikon Inc. Factory Service
    1300 Walt Whitman Road
    Melville, NY 11747

West of the Mississippi River:
    Nikon Inc. Photo & Digital Service
    Nikon Inc. Factory Service
    841 Apollo Street, Suite 100
    El Segundo, CA 90245-4721

The more scope you have hanging out past the rings the easier it will be for it to get bumped out of alignment, their just not anchored as well with standard rings. I see no need for huge scopes on Alaskan hunting rifles. I know several guys that use them but the big advantage escapes me. Your scope may be fine, you might just need a better mounting system.

Wrong information on Torque settings. Not sure what I was thinking yesterday,old age I guess...
    Base Screw should be 30 in. lbs
    Ring Screws Steel 15-20 in. lbs
    Aluminum10-15 in. lbs
    Windage screws 30-40 in. lbs

If you are using those god-awful windage-rear STD mount systems, they are anything but "tough".
    Maybe if your scope is way out of line and you can't get it serviced, maybe then consider the STD but anything is better...

The Dual Dovetail system is excellent, as are the Weaver with steel bases and rings. Tactical mounts are also excellent.
    Be sure your mount is rock solid, if not you will have scope problems until you do.

Warne, Leupold (but not their PRW/QRW rings), TPS, Burris, Talley are all very good. Near Mfg is THE BEST...
    Warne is about the best value in scope mount gear, especially rings, also TPS TSR rings for tactical use.