View Poll Results: What is the most efficient and stress free way to land and release a fish?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use a rubber net to land and unhook the fish.

18 62.07%
  • Pull the fish up near the bank, but not out of the water.

6 20.69%
  • Pull the fish up on the bank.

0 0%
  • Conk the fish over the head - less struggling during hook removal means less stress!

5 17.24%

Thread: To net or not to net?

Default To net or not to net?

In the interest of treating the fish with respect and minimizing stress, I'm thinking of getting a net... I've heard differing view points that say a net, even a rubber net, is harder on the fish - I disagree and think that the added time on the line, and the possible gravel bath is far worse than a net... So - to net or not to net?

Note: For the purposes of this poll, assume you are fishing on foot...

Definately go with the rubber net. I got mine from sportmans.

Give the local community your money, shop at Mossy's or Worldwide!!

Shouldn't have put the final option on there (grin).

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I use a net at times but for the most part I lead the fish into 6"-12" of water, reach down and twist out the hook.

Dipnets work great. The only downside is you sometimes get fish that didn't bite your hook.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

If it is a big fish I will net it. Otherwise I will just bring it in close and use a de-hooker tool so I dont touch the fish at all.

Being that some of my biggest mistakes in the past stemmed from not having a net, I am a big fan of the idea. As others say above me, there are ways around beaching a fish on a gravel bar. But for those that don't know better, a landing net would do a nice job of protecting the fish as well. That was the worst thing I did in the past, fighting a fish, get it up in the shallows where I could get a grip on it, often resulted in said fish being on the gravel. A landing net would be of great utility for most folks. Got one myself as mentioned below in a recent thread.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    The single biggest thing that most folks (including myself) can do to improve how they handle fish is to buy a net. This along with good handling practices would go a long way for most guys/gals on the river. Unlike the big boat nets, I got one I can wear on my back. I like to float remote rivers and flying with a 5' net isn't high on my list of priorities.

Anyone interested in a good net, check out the Wachter nets below. The quality and craftsmanship is impressive. Fair price for such a high quality product. Takes 2-3 weeks if you order a custom net. Initials on the side, logos, scrimshaw, etc.. If you just want a nice net with the molded netting, less time I suspect.

I bought a Master Guide C&R Plus (Hoop - 9" x 19" Overall - 26"). Big enough to hold most fish and small enough to carry on the back of my vest. Be sure to get the clear rubber molding net, maybe $20 extra, but well worth it.

http://www.wachternets.com/guide_nets.htm

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I am with Slayintrout, depends on the situation. I too like to net big ones and the smaller ones get the dehooker only.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

I think a net can be very good for the fish IF USED CORRECTLY.

My major issue is when people net and pull fish out of the water. This makes a net an oxymoron unless your pullin fish out for the family.

I prefer no net, as you know. Letting a fish kick around in the water for ten seconds or so in my opinion does not hurt the fish. The MAJORITY of my babies swim away with plenty of life in them. I wet my hands before I lay a hand on them.

Above all, I agree with Monkey and ICB, barbless is the way to go. Im onboard on that one. I would rather wet my hands then put a ruber glove on.

Hook out, fish gone.............
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Hey Muzzy,
    How did that dolly in your picture taste?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Nice looking dolly.

Looks like a big pot of gumbo
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Hey Muzzy,
    It was a little soft. But nothing some lemon pepper couldn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Hey Muzzy,
    The worst part is, he's kneeling on a Dolly Varden spawning bed!

(Why do we always regress to this?? Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    (Why do we always regress to this?? Lol)
    because we have ridiculous threads debating the use of a net or not. what knot to use. what size bead. what rod. what line. what fly.

It's pretty simple. Barbless, wet hands, common sense.

I am using my net more now. When anchored in the Drift boat it just seems to be easier on the fish. Small fish on shore just get the dehooker. Bigger fish get the net on shore. In the boat Im netting pretty much everything just to take care of them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I find that the stress level seems to go down significantly the closer I get to the water. Once in the water and actually fishing, stress is virtually non-existent unless of course, some yahoo decides to try and squeeze me from my spot, then I tend to...oh wait, you were talking about the stress on the fish? My bad.

Stress. The art of typing to launch while some nim rod is lining his fly rod and picking out his beads while his boat is still on the tralior and the trailor and truck are on the ramp

The art of trying to land your raft when 8 boats are on the ramp and nobody is around because they are hitching a ride to the launch to get thier trucks.

De stress. Sitting on last chance Island, catching fish, drinking beer and watching the landing. With a net to net fish with
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Stress. The art of typing to launch while some nim rod is lining his fly rod and picking out his beads while his boat is still on the tralior and the trailor and truck are on the ramp

The art of trying to land your raft when 8 boats are on the ramp and nobody is around because they are hitching a ride to the launch to get thier trucks.

De stress. Sitting on last chance Island, catching fish, drinking beer and watching the landing. With a net to net fish with

Sounds like you could use a day on some less crowded water..
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~