Thread: Misty Fjords

Default Misty Fjords

Hi. Not sure if I'm on the correct Forum for this question, but was not sure were to post it. Came to Ak previously on a crusie/tour deal. When we arrived in Ketchican the Misty Fjords excursion we booked was cancelled due to bad weather. We're coming back in 2012 and I was wondering if it was worth it to go back there just to see that. If so, does anyone have an opinion on the Ferry vs. cruise. Thanks!!!!

If you like grandeur and beauty, definitely go back. If not, then it's not worth the trip. There are a couple of different ways to see the Misty's, one is by boat and the other is by plane. I've done both numerous time and I would opt for the plan excursion.

Ferry vs. cruise, are you talking about what method would you see SE Alaska? If that's the case they both have their pluses and minuses.
    The ferry would allow you to stay in port to visit a town as long as you would want. But you would have to find a place to stay. No entertainment on the ferries, unless you count the tourists. The cruise ships give you a place to stay but time in ports are limited. I would think riding the ferry and staying in a hotel would be cheaper than the cruise ship, but I've never taking a cruise.

Good luck.

Probably riding the ferry and putting together motels / meals / B&B's and staying till the 'next' ferry in several ports would be more $'s than a cruise ... but you would be on your own schedule.

The Misty Fjords is one of the (if not THE) crown jewels of the entire US Nat Forest system ...

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    If you like grandeur and beauty, definitely go back. If not, then it's not worth the trip.

That one line saved me about 400 words

SE Alaska is awesome! Saw it for the first time this past May when we stayed in a USFS cabin on POW for a week. Fishing sucked and I had one of the best trips of my life. Going back in late October if I have time off from work. If not, will be going back next April. Depending on what you are after, you may consider staying in one of the many USFS cabins near Ketchikan. We did that for 6 nights and then spent one night at the Cape Fox Lodge in Ketchikan. Wonderful trip. Kingfisher was of great help in the planning, thanks Kingfisher. For info on the cabins, google search "Bush pilots Ketchikan" and look for cabin flights on their websites. We used Family Air and he did a great job.

Below is a brief trip report and pictures from our trip in early May....

We were in SE Alaska May 6-13. We flew into Ketchikan and then took a small bush plane 40 miles north to a remote cabin on Prince of Wales island where we spent 6 days. The cabin was in the back of a saltwater bay and a river entered the salt by our cabin. We hiked up and down the river flyfishing. This area is an actual rain forest and was heavily timbered with 200' Sitka spruce trees. The fishing was poor due to unusually low river levels and a dry spring. Bluebird skies each day and temps nearing the 60's did little to help either. This was very atypical weather for SE Alaska in early May. Seems the steelhead had either laid their eggs and went into the lake upriver, or perhaps back to the ocean. In either case, we saw 2 steelhead after hiking 15+ miles up and down the river. That is fishing for you. This is a beautiful place and the hiking and solitude alone were worth the trip. The trail system the US Forestry Service put aside this river is nothing short of amazing. Nice to see my tax dollars going to good use for once.

After the week in the cabin, we flew back to Ketchikan for a day. We walked around a bit and drove the 30 miles or so of roads in the area. Later that day we took a 50 mile tour of Misty Fjords National Park with the same bush pilot that had taken us up to the cabin. We landed in a remote lake and caught some cutthroat trout. This is a beautiful lake that we plan to spend a week at next June. There is a remote cabin there as well that can be rented through the US Forestry Service. The lake is 5 miles long, 800 feet deep, and like most in the area, glacially carved. Very interesting topography, although it was difficult to capture from the small bush plane.

Below are three links to images from our recent trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...07239859/show/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...31583264/show/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...12092719/show/

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the info. Dan. Those are beautiful pictures!! I have decided that Misty Fjords will be on the agenda when we come back in 2012. I think my husband will agree after he see's them too.

After seeing Misty and you want to stay here is an upgrade from the Forest Service cabins.
    http://www.humpbacklakechalet.com/id9.html
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.